GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GM appears to be going from 0-60 with blown V6's.
www.GMInsideNews.com
February 24, 2012
By: Nick Saporito

Nearly two years ago GMI broke news that General Motors is working on a 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 to get GM on part with the industry trend of utilizing blown V-6's. Until recently it has been assumed that GM has only one twin-turbo V-6 in the works, which makes a lot of sense considering the company is about to launch the fifth generation of its coveted Small Block V-8 lineup. Instead, GMI has learned that GM currently has two twin-turbo V-6's in development.

The saying goes, "there's no replacement for displacement" and apparently GM feels the same with regards to their V-6 engines. Sources have confirmed to GMI that GM is also working on a twin-turbo version of its 3.6-liter V-6. This engine will supplement the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 that GMI previously confirmed.

Back in 2009 GM and Jay Leno showcased a Chevrolet Camaro concept at the SEMA show that housed a twin-turbo 3.6-liter V-6. In that application GM claimed the engine generated 425 horsepower. GMI has not been able to confirm power figures for the production version of the twin-turbo 3.6-liter, but in excess of 400 seems like a plausible estimate considering the company is still developing a 3.0-liter variant of the blown engine as well.

As previously reported, expect the 3.0-liter twin-turbo to show up first in Cadillac models, including the XTS and CTS. Both sedans will eventually have the engine as an option, with it being mated to an eight-speed automatic. The engine is expected to trickle down through the GM lineup over time, similar to GM's typical new engine roll-out.

The 3.6-liter twin-turbo is expected to first show up at Cadillac as well. Earlier this week reports surfaced that Cadillac has decided to go with a twin-turbo V-6 for the upcoming ATS-V performance car. According to sources, that twin-turbo V-6 will not be the 3.0-liter, but rather the first application of the twin-turbo 3.6-liter, suggesting that the larger displacement could be reserved for performance applications. Perhaps the 3.6-liter could even end up being a Cadillac exclusive engine? At this time no other applications of the twin-turbo 3.6-liter are known.

Stay tuned right here for the latest on GM's upcoming twin-turbo engines!

·
Banned
997 Posts
I never thought I would say this to another dude besides my dad... but Nsap.. I Luv Ya Boo. :Club:

Predictions for the 3.0L Turbo are what.. 380-390HP.. and 3.6L 425-440???

Cadillac, again... a 425-440HP XTS Platinum will get my business unless the next gen CTS-V is pushing 600HP.

I'm guessing the ATS-V will get the 3.6L TT or the GEN V V8.
SRX-V 390HP 3.0L TT

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
So if this rumors are true there won't be ATS-V with V8 LT1 engine in it? Competition for that car already has over 420 hp (M3, C-amg have over 450 hp) so i hope they are planing for more than 420 hp.

·
Super Moderator
21,399 Posts
OMG... if the ATS-V gets the 3.6TT, I'd drop my pants at the dealership in the process of negotiating for it!

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Damn, a twin-turbo LFX? Ecoboost can suck it, if that is true...that's news to me. I still want to see a turbo 2.5 though.

·
Banned
997 Posts
So if this rumors are true there won't be ATS-V with V8 LT1 engine in it? Competition for that car already has over 420 hp (M3, C-amg have over 450 hp) so i hope they are planing for more than 420 hp.

I could easily see the 3.6L pulling that off. And truthfully considering the Alpha's weight advantage.. It might just only need to match the M3's output.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Earlier this week reports surfaced that Cadillac has decided to go with a twin-turbo V-6 for the upcoming ATS-V performance car.
IF that TT V6 can hit north of 400HP in stock form, and can be had with a 6 or 7 speed manual/Tap-Shift 8 speed automatic, I'm not completely mad at that. As long as the CTS-V keeps a V8 into the next generation.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I wish they would take that Turbo 3.6L up to 4.0L's! That way Cadillac could have 2.0L-3.0L and 4.0L DI Turbo engines! Then do a HFV8 with DI Turbo of 5.0L's for the upcoming Premium RWD Cadillac model!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I wonder what's working for the next gen pickups. Certainly they'll finally retire the 4.3??
Could this be the answer to the EcoBoost question? What else is there?

·
Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
15,356 Posts
Good news except for its placement in the ATS-V, now that really makes me want to cry in my cheerios.

·
Premium Member
33,351 Posts
Considering the amount of power Porsche and Renault/Nissan can make from blown V6's (north of 500BHP) It would be rather disappointing if any blown GM V6 came anywhere below 450 BHP

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
The SBC is becoming more irrelevant; it now has to get by as a compromised value proposition or as a nod to heritage.
Not really...an OHV naturally aspirated V8 small block will probably cost half the price of a Twin-Turbo DOHC V6.

Again, this is pretty cool...but what advantage is there over just throwing a V8 in the application?

·
Premium Member
33,351 Posts
Not really...an OHV naturally aspirated V8 small block will probably cost half the price of a Twin-Turbo DOHC V6.
I doubt it. They are allegedly packing a lot of technology into the new small blocks

It will be interesting to see the power out of the escalade.. probably 505 HP 500 lbs...

1 - 20 of 262 Posts