GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I honestly would, but I can't. :(

IGA blood deficiency. Antibodies in my blood could put somebody into shock. It's a double-edged sword too :( Same for organs for the same reasons.

I can only donate blood in special Red Cross locations to make sure the blood is properly kept separate and labeled for others w/ IGA deficiency, but it's 90 minutes to the closest one.

I am pro-both though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If I could donate blood I would, but everytime I do my iron count is too low to give. But I am an organ donor. I have it on my card. I think that is important for everyone who can donate blood or be a donor to do it. I see this every day. I work in the Orthopedic operating room. So on a daily basis I see that blood is need and also tissue or bone. It is not just organs needed we need bones for surgery and stuff like that. There was one day elective surgeries were going to be cancelled because the blood supply was sooo low. I can't stress how important blood and organ donations are. Just remember this is coming from a nurse :). Hope this helps some people to get out there and donate blood or even just change their drivers liscense to be a organ donor. Oh and if you are an organ donor tell your family so they are aware, becuase it is ultimatly the family decision even if your license says you are a donor. Your family has the last say. I have said my peace for the day. :)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I am an organ donor-- or-- I'm not donating any yet, but I plan to upon death. :)-- it's on my license and I told my family, etc. As far as donating blood-- I've always wanted to do it because I think it's important, but I hurt when even thinking about blood. I used to dread any class that spoke of "blood cells." Ugh-- it makes me feel like eveything I touch is cutting me. I avoid the doctor if he plans to take any blood samples.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Mr_Pringle@Feb 25 2004, 06:06 PM
but I hurt when even thinking about blood.
guess that rules out all GMi members becoming blood brothers (and sisters... i think there might be a few lovely ladies on here too)!

organ donation? yup. can't think of a better way to do a bit of good in this world. blood? nope.

i would never argue with someone who chose not to do either... it's personal. everyone has their own reasons for or against.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't argue either with people who don't want to do it. I just like to inform people if they can donate either to do so because it is needed and benefical to others.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I've never donated blood before (I'm only 17) but I'm definately an organ donor. When I die I'm not going to need them, so why not let someone else have them :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts