GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a light/small SUV ('90s Jeep Grand Cherokee and Cherokee with the I6 2WD- 4X4 is off limits for me or a '95-'05 Blazer). Does anyone here have experience with the 4.3L and 2.2L's offered in these? I'd probably be getting an older version because of my price limit so does anyone have a ballpark range of how many miles the motors last to?

I'm sliding towards the Grand Cherokee/Cherokee as we've had experience with a '96 Grand Cherokee and it was really reliable and got 18MPG city. I also prefer the styling of the Cherokee over the Grand Cherokee and Blazer but I'd like to seriously consider the Blazer as they're plentiful in this part of the country and can be found at good prices.

So can anyone help me out with reliability of the drivetrain and typical fuel economy to expect for this particular model? Thanks

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I had an older S-10 Blazer with the 4.3L. It went 252k, original engine, transmission, etc. (died as a result of an accident). I never even touched the engine until almost 200k (water pump). Loved the car, very reliable.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the Grand Cherokee is rated at 14/20 and we got 18 city out of it and the Blazer if 15/21 so I'm hoping that I might be able to squeeze a few more MPG's outta that number.

The 225K+ figure is promising though, thanks.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
IMO, they're junk!!

Front end parts like ball joints, wheel bearings, pitman and idler arms are always loose if they have any miles. They usually have leaky pinion seals, axle seals and transfer case output seals. The 4.3 does run for a while but the water pumps, intake gaskets and oil senders leak. The brake rotors will rot off in short order. They have the typical GM fuel pump that is nearly guaranteed to crap out. The interior is bad, if not terrible.

That being said, you could do worse. I'd rather have one than ANY Grand Cherokee. Stick with a regular Cherokee if you must. They are quite reliable.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
the 90's Grand Cherokees are junk. I had a 98 and my brother a 95 - AC problems in the pre '98 model - tranny issues in all of them. Dont know anyone that didnt replace a GC tranny within 100K miles - seriously.

The Cherokee has the same drivetrain I believe - maybe the AC is different.

Never heard alot of good on the Blazers either.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
Neighbor had a Blazer and totally hated it.
Ragged on it incessantly.
Absolute putrid Hate would be too soft a term.
Told us it was a flaming pile of <bleep>.
Just wanted to grab his shotgun and put it out of its misery.

So we sold them our Chevy Venture.
Couldn't be happier now.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
One more thing to add on the Cherokee series - there is no such thing as a sealed differential/TC - they leak (even if just a little) so servicing ar 30k intervals is highly recommended

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more thing to add on the Cherokee series - there is no such thing as a sealed differential/TC - they leak (even if just a little) so servicing ar 30k intervals is highly recommended
That's odd, we've had one for over eight years and the only things we've ever had to change were the cat converter (recalled for free), the fuel pump (hella expensive), and the brakes. It's got over 130K miles on it too. My friend with a '96 has also had great experience with his even though he has around 20K more miles.

I'd personally would love to take it but my brother uses it as his college car so we have to buy another one.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
A few of my dad's customers have Jeep Grand Cherokee's and they all seem to have pretty good luck with them. The 4.0's easily see 150K miles. One of his customers had a '99 with the 4.0 and traded it in at 197K miles just because she wanted the new Commander.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
May I suggest a 302 powered Explorer?

The 4.0L SOHC had some timing chain tensioner issues but those have been fixed by now. The 4.0L OHV was a great motor, just not as much power. The Five . Oh has the most power and gets the same mileage, and come on, it's a flippin 302

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
If you are looking at teh Blazer dont get the one with CPI...ohhh man thats trouble.

Front end parts such as LBJ's and idler arms are big on the mid to late 90's Blazers and S10's. By the late 90's early 00's, I think that most problems were fixed. Get one as recent as you can.
Cherokee's and GC's have trans problems, but the 4 liter is rock solid.

Explorers...same thing. Front end parts, wheel bearings, etc etc. Ebrake shoes as well, they are always destroyed and removed of the backing plates.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
i had a 2000 blazer lt 4x4 and i loves it. i didnt have any proplems other then my powersteering was leaking. it had 140k on it. when i gave it to my parents to trade in for a equinox i tryed to find it to buy it back but no luck. now everytime i see one like it im looking to see if its mine haha. i liked it alot.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
The latter year Blazers are better (2000 and newer) than the older ones. Can't fault the 4.3 on reliability, but these blazers got the same mileage as the Trailblazers with almost 100 less horsepower and a much smaller size. I haven't heard great things about the brakes, transmissions, suspension, and electronics on the older Blazer models. The newer ones seem to be built a little better while the older ones have inconsistant reliability (some good, some aweful). Always check history...you don't want a Katrina car or some lemon that has been repaired or wrecked a million times. Check for off road wear and tear as well as trailering (if there is no trailer hitch, then you are good) If you do get a 4x4, make sure it works before you buy....you don't want to replace a transfer case or hubs later on. If they've been replaced recently, then the car should worth more....check for off road wear and tear too.

Beware...they are tippy and easy to flip esp 2wd versions b/c of a higher center of gravity and narrower track. The good thing is that they can be had with a manual.

I'd say the Explorer would be a nice truck, but they are pretty out of it past 100,000 miles or so. The seem to shake, rattle, and roll more than any other SUV that size.

I'd seriously look at the Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L 6. They are not fuel efficient, but those 4.0L engines are very reliable. The rest of the jeeps seem to have issues, but not as many as Ford.

4x4 is worth it for a Blazer or Jeep...try to convince your dad. My favorite blazer, the 2 door ZR2, is 4x4 only but it can be had with real off road credentials and a manual transmission (if only GM built one today). I'd go for that one in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.