GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NSAP Investigates: Buick's Renaissance Is Almost Complete
Buick maybe loosing three models, but they are gaining four…
By: NSAP
6/13/04
gminsidenews.com

In the past several years Buick has been emphasizing on trucks. The first being the Rendezvous crossover, which has been very successful. Followed by the Rainier, Buick’s first real SUV. Then lastly, the Terraza, being introduced this fall. That is all about to change, starting this fall with the LaCrosse. The LaCrosse is met to fill the spot that the Regal and Century had. But what is going to fill the Park Avenue’s spot? Turns out there will be three models to expand and replace the Park Avenue’s market.

In Fall of 2005 Buick will start producing a front wheel drive premium sedan. It will be placed to form as a replacement for the Park Ave. Other than that, not much is known about this vehicle, but more details will be announced soon.

The next vehicle that is under consideration is a rear wheel drive flag shift sedan. The car has NOT been green-lighted yet, but it is expected to be produced. The car, if produced is going to feature many styling cues of the Velite concept car, as well as the Velite’s platform, the Zeta. On top of that, it will likely have a V8 powertrain.

The last vehicle that is on the production plan is a convertible. Its not hard to guess that it will likely be based on the Zeta platform and basically be a production version of the Velite concept car. Like the flag shift sedan , this vehicle has not yet been green-lighted, but again, it is more than likely it will.

Buick is defiantly shifting it’s focus from trucks to cars, which is greatly welcomed. In the last few years Buick cars have not been all that wonderful, but they served the purpose and it is time to move to bigger and better things. With these new cars, combined with scheduled freshens and redesigns of the truck line, Buick’s renaissance will almost be complete.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Lucerne? Not a bad name.

Anyone know what is up with the "2005 Buick Century"?

I thought it was supposed to die with the 2004 year model....

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Ming@Jun 13 2004, 09:46 AM

There is be about 5,000 Centurys, and Park Ave. made in the 05 MY. All will be special editions.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by nsap+Jun 13 2004, 10:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nsap @ Jun 13 2004, 10:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ming@Jun 13 2004, 09:46 AM

There is be about 5,000 Centurys, and Park Ave. made in the 05 MY. All will be special editions. [/b][/quote]
Ah, kinda like those last Oldsmobiles. Interesting. Well, at least that should save them from the rental fleets - they won't want to pay for "special edition" trim.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Jun 13 2004, 03:35 PM
I look for one of those vehicles to be called LUCERNE, possibly the FWD sedan...
:lol:
One of the streets in my neighbourhood is called "Lucerne street"

·
Registered
8,863 Posts
It was my understanding that Buick was dropping the LeSabre and Park Avenue for the next model year. The LeSabre replacement is to be powered by V-6 and V-8 powertrains, and in keeping with GM's plan to continue destroying any equity in the names it has built, the LeSabre name will change to something all new. This reflects part of what you're saying above.

"Buick's Renaissance Is Almost Complete" You've got to be kidding! Nothing that has happened in the past few years at Buick is anything close to a renaissance. Maybe a small public scuffle, but certainly not a renaissance.

The Cadillac renaissance is working wonders. What is happening at Buick is woefully inadequate and quite disappointing. I know, I know, wait til three years from now; then we're really going to see some hot stuff. Much to our collective chagrin, the world isn't going to wait for Buick.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by tgagneguam@Jun 13 2004, 01:33 PM
It was my understanding that Buick was dropping the LeSabre and Park Avenue for the next model year. The LeSabre replacement is to be powered by V-6 and V-8 powertrains, and in keeping with GM's plan to continue destroying any equity in the names it has built, the LeSabre name will change to something all new. This reflects part of what you're saying above.

"Buick's Renaissance Is Almost Complete" You've got to be kidding! Nothing that has happened in the past few years at Buick is anything close to a renaissance. Maybe a small public scuffle, but certainly not a renaissance.

The Cadillac renaissance is working wonders. What is happening at Buick is woefully inadequate and quite disappointing. I know, I know, wait til three years from now; then we're really going to see some hot stuff. Much to our collective chagrin, the world isn't going to wait for Buick.
According to what I was told NO old names will return to Buick.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
not even Park Avenue??????

I personally think that car looks great. all it needs is v8, rwd and a new interior, it would walk all over lexass.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by GM_Guy81@Jun 13 2004, 05:09 PM

I personally think that car looks great. all it needs is v8, rwd and a new interior, it would walk all over lexass.
Nope. rumor is that all names for new vehicles will be French or Spanish-like. Terraza, LaCrosse

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Buick must be trying to capitalize on the love Americans have for France (and vice versa) right now... ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
flag shift eh? LOL

Flagship

Pronunciation: 'flag-"ship
Function: noun
1 : the ship that carries the commander of a fleet or subdivision of a fleet and flies his flag
2 : the finest, largest, or most important one of a series, network, or chain

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by sheithappens@Jun 13 2004, 07:04 PM
flag shift eh? LOL

Flagship

Pronunciation: 'flag-"ship
Function: noun
1 : the ship that carries the commander of a fleet or subdivision of a fleet and flies his flag
2 : the finest, largest, or most important one of a series, network, or chain
;) Spell checker changed it

·
Registered
533 Posts
With all due respect, Buick's re-birth is going to be more of an after-birth. While most of the industry is moving back to RWD with traction control (see: DCX's 300C and Magnum) or affordable AWD (Subaru) Buick's move to luxo-trucks is about five years too late, which is typical GM think.

Using McCall's 'Convoy Song' to introduce marginal-looking line of SUV's only serves to further dilute what was a strong brand, with a distinct image: Premium American Sedans.

Move over Oldsmobile, you may have company soon. :(

:drevil:

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Originally posted by nsap+Jun 13 2004, 11:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nsap @ Jun 13 2004, 11:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GM_Guy81@Jun 13 2004, 05:09 PM

Nope. rumor is that all names for new vehicles will be French or Spanish-like. Terraza, LaCrosse [/b][/quote]
Isn't that what they were doing the whole time?

Riviera, LeSabre, DeVille, etc...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Smaart Aas Saabr+Jun 14 2004, 04:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smaart Aas Saabr @ Jun 14 2004, 04:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2004, 11:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-GM_Guy81
@Jun 13 2004, 05:09 PM

Nope. rumor is that all names for new vehicles will be French or Spanish-like. Terraza, LaCrosse
Isn't that what they were doing the whole time?

Riviera, LeSabre, DeVille, etc... [/b][/quote]
Roadmaster? Park Ave? Regal?

The point is NO original names are returning.

·
Registered
38 Posts
honestly, Buick has absolutely nothing that I would care to drive.
give me rear wheel drive with a v8 or turbo 6 and make it look reasonably good and you will stand a good chance of getting people to buy it!
I know Buick can do it,
remember GNX? :bounce:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by spdwayGm@Jun 14 2004, 01:19 AM
With all due respect, Buick's re-birth is going to be more of an after-birth. While most of the industry is moving back to RWD with traction control (see: DCX's 300C and Magnum) or affordable AWD (Subaru) Buick's move to luxo-trucks is about five years too late, which is typical GM think.

Using McCall's 'Convoy Song' to introduce marginal-looking line of SUV's only serves to further dilute what was a strong brand, with a distinct image: Premium American Sedans.

Move over Oldsmobile, you may have company soon. :(

:drevil:
Yeah, It only took DCX some 30 something years to produce a RWD car. They are right on the ball :rolleyes: . The have had ZERO to drive, outside of teh Viper, since the end of the muscle cars. A few turbo k cars, but nothing speical.
Yeah, GM's behind the ball. Look at everyone going to RWD!! Dodge and Chrystler...And Dodge...and... exactly.

I think that Buick is turning around. The Terazza isnt the one, but the LaCrosse is a home run. I just got a whole thing about the LaCrosse and wow. When I saw it at the NYIAS I was stunned. Its nothing like Buick has made in a long time. A car like the Velite would blow lexus away.

I thought that the large RWD Zeta car will replace the Park Ave? Personaly, I really dont care if they drop the names. If they are great cars that outclass everyone else, thats fine. I personaly like LaCrosse better, compared to Century and Regal.

Buick needs a true flagship. Ive said it once, and I will say it again...Zeta cant get here fast enough. A Velite/Insigina flag ship would be downright awesome.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Jun 13 2004, 03:35 PM
I look for one of those vehicles to be called LUCERNE, possibly the FWD sedan...
Except for the trademark infraction in Canada with Safeway® brand dairy products

1 - 20 of 48 Posts