GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Source: The Cato Institute

TOP BRITISH SCIENTIST WARNS AGAINT BIOFULES

"Gordon Brown is preparing for a battle with the European Union over biofuels after one of the government's leading scientists warned they could exacerbate climate change rather than combat it," reports The Guardian. "In an outspoken attack on a policy which comes into force next week, Professor Bob Watson, the chief scientific adviser at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, said it would be wrong to introduce compulsory quotas for the use of biofuels in petrol and diesel before their effects had been properly assessed."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/mar/25/biofuels.energy1

In "Unintended Consequences," Indur M. Goklany, author of The Improving State of the World: Why We're Living Longer, Healthier, More Comfortable Lives on a Cleaner Planet, writes:
"Global warming hysteria -- a boon for the ethanol and other biofuel enterprises -- has boosted demand for crop-based fuels worldwide. This now threatens to reverse a half century of gains not only against world hunger, but also in holding the line against conversion of undeveloped land. The cost of food has jumped over 10 percent in India over the past year, and 6 percent in China, according to The Wall Street Journal. This is partly due to the diversion of corn to biofuels. ... Meanwhile, European demand for biofuels to replace gasoline is fueling plans for massive clearing of rainforests for palm-oil plantations in Indonesia and Malaysia. ... Ironically, much of the hysteria over global warming is itself fueled by concerns that it may drive numerous species to extinction and increase hunger worldwide, especially in developing countries. Yet the biofuel solution would only make bad matters worse on both counts."

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=8206

This is bound to get a rise out of 'HoosierRon'

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Bio Fuels are not the fix all, be all. You are still burning something and it is still producing contaminants. But they will help us start spending our dollars here instead of making deals with the devils. Plus, this is just a stop-gap until batteries or the Flux Capacitor rival the abilities of a ICE system: Fill ups, cost and reliability.

Has anyone seen any Mr. Fusion research?

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
This is bound to get a rise out of 'HoosierRon'
And I care what some British bureaucrat has to say in the interest of global warming... why? Look, if the choice is (1) sell American corn to India and China at prices so low that American farmers live in poverty, and then buy oil from terrorist nations, or (2) buy fuel from American grown crops at prices that make my fellow countrymen wealthy, all while defunding terrorist nations, the choice seems pretty easy to me, although it may not be consistent with the goals of the Cato Institute, which, the last time I checked, found nationalism to be a violation of personal freedom.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
And I care what some British bureaucrat has to say in the interest of global warming... why? Look, if the choice is (1) sell American corn to India and China at prices so low that American farmers live in poverty, and then buy oil from terrorist nations, or (2) buy fuel from American grown crops at prices that make my fellow countrymen wealthy, all while defunding terrorist nations, the choice seems pretty easy to me, although it may not be consistent with the goals of the Cato Institute, which, the last time I checked, found nationalism to be a violation of personal freedom.
And this is why I am voting for HoosierRon.....

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
This is getting incredibly annoying. Oh don't use oil. That creates global warming. Oh don't use biofuels, that creates even more global warming. Yeah f***ing right.

Apparently none of the "scientists" have never heard of cellulosic ethanol, or Coskata's trash to ethanol. They are either being paid off by the oil companies, or have some other agenda. Or they're just complete idiots.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
(2) buy fuel from American grown crops at prices that make my fellow countrymen wealthy, all while defunding terrorist nations, the choice seems pretty easy to me, although it may not be consistent with the goals of the Cato Institute, which, the last time I checked, found nationalism to be a violation of personal freedom.
...And drive up the price of corn, which will increase the price of corn-based goods, and reduce the viability of other crops because farmers will be rushing to grow corn. Wheat production is already declining, why give even more reasons to produce even less wheat?

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
This is getting incredibly annoying. Oh don't use oil. That creates global warming. Oh don't use biofuels, that creates even more global warming. Yeah f***ing right.

Apparently none of the "scientists" have never heard of cellulosic ethanol, or Coskata's trash to ethanol. They are either being paid off by the oil companies, or have some other agenda. Or they're just complete idiots.
When you have to clear lands, and set up proper irrigation to grow extra corn, that is bound to have a impact on the world no? Just maintaining the extra corn will contribute to global warming...but I'm sure you know the 'truth' of global warming by now.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
...And drive up the price of corn, which will increase the price of corn-based goods, and reduce the viability of other crops because farmers will be rushing to grow corn. Wheat production is already declining, why give even more reasons to produce even less wheat?
We won't be so fat because we won't have as many Frito's and Corn chips to eat. And the feed corn for cattle will be less so we will eat less red meat. See, win - lose(weight).

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
You got my vote :yup:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Gas is at 3 cents a liter in Venezuela.

If another country wants us to melt then same to them.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
.Wheat production is already declining, why give even more reasons to produce even less wheat?

"USDA Chief Economist Joe Glauber told the annual USDA Ag Outlook Forum here that record prices have encouraged increased winter wheat planting in the Northern Hemisphere.

Mr Glauber says recoveries elsewhere will add to supplies.

"With Australian production expected to bounce back from drought-reduced levels of the past few years, world wheat production should be sharply higher in 2008 and 2009" he said.
source

Please. Tell us, Xenon, what you know that the USDA chief economist does not.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
When you have to clear lands, and set up proper irrigation to grow extra corn, that is bound to have a impact on the world no? Just maintaining the extra corn will contribute to global warming...but I'm sure you know the 'truth' of global warming by now.
Who's talking about corn? I sure as hell don't want corn based ethanol. Cellulosic and "trash" based ethanol is something like 10x more efficient.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm kind of tired of being called a "fat, American slob" by the media one day and having them tell me to be worried about food prices the next day.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
You have no idea what this biofuel thing is doing to food prices around the world. It is not pretty at all. Not pretty. (Don't go complaining about illegal immigration for one if you keep this view.)
American would be better off going nuclear and drilling in ANWR/"clean coal" rather than hankering after corn--which will never replace oil.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Come on! Is there some specific new technology that no one knows about that is going to magically replace every single fossil fuel burning piece of equipment? I thought it was already discovered that the impact man has on the global climate cycle is negligent at best? How will reducing the amount of known green house gases be a bad thing? What, will the worlds rain forests die from starvation of Co2?

No matter what situation or solution is presented it is no good to some scientist some where, regardless of the reason behind their argument. The world cannot agree on anything collectively, that is why there have been so many wars in the history of man kind. Lets all do what worked best for everyone. National economy remains regulation and global economy gets thrown out the window.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
You have no idea what this biofuel thing is doing to food prices around the world. It is not pretty at all. Not pretty. (Don't go complaining about illegal immigration for one if you keep this view.)
American would be better off going nuclear and drilling in ANWR/"clean coal" rather than hankering after corn--which will never replace oil.
Nuclear? Clean coal? I thought we were talking about vehicle fuel.

As for food prices, let us stop and think. U.S. farmers sell their corn and wheat for U.S. dollars. U.S. dollars are at a record low value, and China is sitting on a trillion of them.

Meanwhile, China's economy has been growing at double digit rates for decades. Chinese are getting wealthy, and they also are eating more beef. Cows on feed lots happen to be very inefficient at converting corn into protein. Finally, the cost to grow and transport food from the U.S. to China just might cost more unless you can do it without using petroleum.

Cheap currency. Increased demand. Higher input costs. Do self-loathing liberals think that any of this has anything to do with the price of corn, or are they simply irritated that America is on the road to independence?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We won't be so fat because we won't have as many Frito's and Corn chips to eat. And the feed corn for cattle will be less so we will eat less red meat. See, win - lose(weight).
Actually, it will do very little to the demand for corn. People will still eat corn. Their numbers may decrease a bit, but not significantly. And the same goes for red meat. This shift to Biofuels will only cause the prices of corn and red meat, along with its products, rise, since there are less of it to go along.

There are other environment friendly fuels as well. GM itself had announced going for hydrogen powered cars. Cars running on water and sun power had been invented too. It will only be the mass production of these vehicles that poses the problem. That aside, I agree that trash based ethanol will be more efficient, since we have plenty of trash to begin with. :drive:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts