1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford CEO says government help needed to boost fuel-efficient purchases
07:38 PM EDT Apr 16
JOHN PORRETTO

NEW YORK (AP) - Ford Motor Co. chairman and chief executive Bill Ford Jr. says the government should offer $3,000 tax breaks or possibly boost taxes on gasoline to spur U.S. consumer interest in gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles.

Ford's comments Wednesday were a reaffirmation of views he has previously expressed and come as his company invests heavily in more fuel-efficient vehicles. He said incentives like tax breaks or rebates of, say, $3,000 a vehicle, would be most effective.

He also mentioned his past support of an additional tax on gas, which he said would make fuel economy "a purchase motivation for the customer." But he said he wasn't prepared to say now how big a tax hike might be appropriate and acknowledged such a tax increase "doesn't have legs" in the political arena.

"I'd like to get either federal or state and local help ... and I think it's the responsible thing to do," he said. "If the federal government really wants to encourage this kind of behavior - and they should - then that's a way they can clearly help."

Ford's remarks came to automotive journalists at the New York International Auto Show even as the second-biggest North American automaker announced it was increasing to three from two the number of hybrid vehicles it will offer in the next few years, adding a sport utility vehicle.

Ford will build a Mercury Mariner hybrid SUV for the 2007 model year. The Mariner will join the Ford Escape SUV and a future midsize sedan in the automaker's hybrid program.

The Escape hybrid goes on sale this summer. Ford says its hybrid system allows the compact SUV to double the city driving mileage of a 2005 Escape with a V6 engine.

Article Here

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
This man is (((CRAZZY)))!! Old Henry would be spinning in his GRAVE if he could see this! :( Capitalism blended with Communism is a ((((VERY))) SCARRY thing! <_<

·
Registered
94 Posts
how many 14/18 mpg explorers, 12/16 expeditions, and who knows what excursions (did that get a reprieve?) and f series trucks does little billy really think will be sold if his proposed gas tax increase becomes a reality to the point where "fuel economy is a purchase concern"? seems to me that he's basically begging to have his main profit vehicles legislated out of consideration.

oh, wait. i guess he just wants it because we all know that ford has by far the best reputation for building fuel sipping vehicles and expects to steal a bunch of sales from honda with their thundering 4s. <_<

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
While Bill does have a point, he's missing the part that his company sells gas-guzzling SUVs too. I do like how he wants America to drive more hybrid cars!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the idea of tax INCENTIVES for buying hybrids. It might give GM a swift kick in the complacent Hydrogen-Dreaming pants.

I don't like the Enviro-Left idea of raising taxes --- not unless they cut taxes EQUALLY somewhere else.

Once a government tax is imposed, it is almost impossible to get rid of it forever.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I say make tax cuts to fuel effeciant vehicles but tax moreso the SUV's that are so unneeded. These things make driving more dangerous for the rest of us so I say tax them, seems people who buy them don't take gas price into consideration when buying so give them something to consider.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
:blink:

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturn_Bird@Apr 17 2004, 01:49 AM
I say make tax cuts to fuel effeciant vehicles but tax moreso the SUV's that are so unneeded. These things make driving more dangerous for the rest of us so I say tax them, seems people who buy them don't take gas price into consideration when buying so give them something to consider.
So punish the people that buy SUVs to use them as they're intended just to get the people that buy them as a 'statement' or popularity contest entry to stop wasting? Uh, no. Why don't they just start a campaign to inform people that if they buy an SUV and don't need it that they're falling into the 'conformity' trap. They could also stop building SUVs with no real purpose besides sales to people that want to be 'popular.' Of course, that means they'll need to start building cars people want.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewGS+Apr 17 2004, 02:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AndrewGS @ Apr 17 2004, 02:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nocturn_Bird@Apr 17 2004, 01:49 AM
So punish the people that buy SUVs to use them as they're intended just to get the people that buy them as a 'statement' or popularity contest entry to stop wasting? Uh, no. Why don't they just start a campaign to inform people that if they buy an SUV and don't need it that they're falling into the 'conformity' trap. They could also stop building SUVs with no real purpose besides sales to people that want to be 'popular.' Of course, that means they'll need to start building cars people want.

Andrew [/b][/quote]
Ah, the paradox...

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Apr 17 2004, 01:20 AM
I like the idea of tax INCENTIVES for buying hybrids. It might give GM a swift kick in the complacent Hydrogen-Dreaming pants.

I don't like the Enviro-Left idea of raising taxes --- not unless they cut taxes EQUALLY somewhere else.

Once a government tax is imposed, it is almost impossible to get rid of it forever.
In all honesty, GM has probably spent more money on hyro cars then any other company combined, at least thast what I read in that Fortune 500 aritcle.

I agree, tax incentives to econobox's, but how about on a scale? Corvettes can get 30mpg, so can they get a tax break?
On the same coin, the Evo gets low 20's in gas milage, they should have basicly have nothing.

I disagree on a tax on trucks, but like cigs, I doubt its gunna put a dent in sales.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
what a gas bag. He is going to alienate the most profitable part of his company.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
the whole gas tax thing is just political. he's trying to make the greenies really think he cares. he wants to keep selling the trucks that have kept his company going for so long, he doesn't give a flying you-know-what about fuel consumption!!!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Apr 17 2004, 08:59 PM
the whole gas tax thing is just political. he's trying to make the greenies really think he cares. he wants to keep selling the trucks that have kept his company going for so long, he doesn't give a flying you-know-what about fuel consumption!!!
Bill Ford is a member, and a large contributor to the Sierra Club. He is very green.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well, I think hybrid cars are overcasting E85. I think that stuff is awesome. The Prius gets 60+ mpg, but I figure with E85 in my parents Tahoe they are getting 90 miles per gallon of gas. 90 miles. Plus, it doesn't look or sound like a hybrid. I'd rather see gm get the word out on E85, use it more and focus more on Hyrdogen cars. Just imagin what a malibu or even an Aveo would get if the could take E85. Close to, if not more than, 200 miles per gallon of gas. You fill up just often, but it's clean better octain levels and cheaper (for my location atleast).

Pesonally I feel hybrids are going to be a waste of companies' time and money, look how long it took for Toy to make the Prius profitable. And in a few years they are going to make it better, and profits might be back in the hole again. Hybrids are a cute idea. But making hyrdogens like the Hy-wire and AUTOnomy is where I'd rather see GM spend their money. Yeah, I'll probably want to get the DOD Malibu and a Sierra Hybrid is nice (does anyone know if those are out yet? I really want to know that.) but I don't see hyrids in the long haul. My money is on useful hydrogen cars and trucks, then maybe electric, but that's just wishful thinking.

People think that Hybrids are so great, they might be... if they can preform. But, I feel that Hybrids is just a stepping stone. I feel that E85 is a better stepping stone.

I don't know everything, and if I am wrong or missing something please tell me. But, I feel people don't give E85 enough credit.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
90mpg!! In a Tahoe? Thats either BS or fantastic.
I thought E85 was just cheaper and burned cleaner? I didnt know that it could increase you gas milage?

·
Registered
651 Posts
90MPG, LOL!! Yeah, and monkeys just flew outta my butt! Either you mean 90miles/tank or 90 gallons per mile or where your from Tahoe is slang for moped but I don't think your getting 90MPG, please check your math.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
90 miles a tank!! I dont know whats a bigger lie!! Tahoes dont get that bad of gas milage. Maybe he mixed his metric conversions?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts