GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GXPs came and went, and I expect most of the concepts at SEMA to come and go (unfortunately), leaving 2 or 3 that will make it. But the engines coming from GM Powertrain are production engines, not concepts, according to the following.

GM has always placed a huge emphasis on performance V8's. But these two quotes really shocked me from SEMA:

The 3900 V-6, the latest in GM's longstanding family of 60-degree V-6 engines. The 3900 will be the first GM overhead valve engine to use variable valve timing, and it will be GM's first V-6 to use DOD. Its first application will be on the 2005 Pontiac G6.

GM is also showcasing a new Ecotec 2.4-liter variant, which brings both larger displacement and variable valve timing to the Ecotec modular family. The Ecotec 2.4-liter, with 170 horsepower and 170 lb.-ft. of torque, will debut on the all-new 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt.
The Pontiac G6 impresses with a VVT OHV engine, possibly the world's first!? Certainly I can't think of a OHV engine with VVT AND Displacement on Demand!

And the Honda VTEC engine has nothing on a VVT 170hp Ecotec with 170 TORQUE!

Well done, GM, well done!

Now I think it's official. Bob Lutz and GM have indeed taken the "last of the excuses" away!

"We are not worthy!" :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
396 Posts
i just wet myself. a 2.4L 170/170 VVT ECOTEC? i'm in heaven.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Could it be the next engine for the Malibu?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by gerardo_zg@Oct 29 2003, 03:18 AM
which one, the 2.4L or the 3.9L?

i doubt that the 3.9L will make it, but one can hope. i know that the 2.4L will be introduced in the cobalt. :D

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Not the last of the excuses... i can see this one still standing

More hp per Liter...
the 2.0 in the civic si makes 160... we arent out of the woods yet!

and a VVT OHV! has gm defied the law of sweetness? the cheapness of OHV, and the cool factor of VVT!! my god i think GM has just owned all that is cars... now if it only put down 400hp... now that would be the life. any chance the VVT OHV technology willmake it on to the Gen IV blocks?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Nov 5 2003, 05:35 AM
Not the last of the excuses... i can see this one still standing

More hp per Liter...
the 2.0 in the civic si makes 160... we arent out of the woods yet!
Yeah, I used to take them seriously, but I'd like to hear those HP/Liter guys brag about their Torque per liter, too. The "180 horsepower" in the Vibe GT should be more like "130" for 90% of your driving, and all the reviews of the GT engine I've read bear out that disappointment. It's trickery, for the most part, not power you feel when you stomp on the pedal, and it makes Turbo Lag look like instant power.

Honda's Odyssey engine makes a lot of torque to match HP, but I think it is far from 100/hp liter. It would have to make 320 hp or something. :rudolph:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if the Chevy Cobalt's 170hp performance Ecotec would be too wild to put in the base Malibu eventually...?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I would say it would be a no-brainer as a base engine: "90 percent of the torque peak at as low as 2400 rpm." IMO it should be.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Nov 5 2003, 05:35 AM
...VVT OHV technology willmake it on to the Gen IV blocks?
As far as I know it will make it to the Z06 motor, not sure about the base motor.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by sykboy@Nov 7 2003, 12:10 PM
I would say it would be a no-brainer as a base engine: "90 percent of the torque peak at as low as 2400 rpm."  IMO it should be.
Hmmmm - makes sense, considering that the 3.1L engine was at one time the performance engine in the Cavalier.

Or better yet, it's a no brainer for the Pontiac G6's 4 cyl. that will eventually come out.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would prefer to see a hefty V6 in the Malibu.
The new 3.5 puts out a respectable 220 lb-ft,
which really makes me want to go test drive!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by mackingu+Oct 29 2003, 04:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mackingu @ Oct 29 2003, 04:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gerardo_zg@Oct 29 2003, 03:18 AM
which one, the 2.4L or the 3.9L?

i doubt that the 3.9L will make it, but one can hope. i know that the 2.4L will be introduced in the cobalt. :D [/b][/quote]
What about both :D.
The 2.4 I-4 in the standard Malibu and the 3.9 V6 in a Sport Version B)

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by sceltor+Nov 7 2003, 05:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sceltor @ Nov 7 2003, 05:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Nov 5 2003, 05:35 AM
...VVT OHV technology willmake it on to the Gen IV blocks?
As far as I know it will make it to the Z06 motor, not sure about the base motor. [/b][/quote]
cool! hey, i see you cant wait for january of 2004... how come? is it about NAIAS?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi@Nov 7 2003, 10:18 PM
I would prefer to see a hefty V6 in the Malibu.
The new 3.5 puts out a respectable 220 lb-ft,
which really makes me want to go test drive!
Of course, but wouldn't you rather see the base be the 2.4 rather than the 2.2? It would make sense to me. I know it would make it a whole lot more appealing if I couldn't afford the V6. I thought the 3.5 was putting out 230#s of torque? I can't seem to keep all this new stuff straight! THIS IS GREAT! I love having this problem, finally. We have had the same crap for so long.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts