GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the front-page review of the Tahoe Hybrid in the Ottawa Citizen today.

Enjoy.

The tapping on the passenger window was insistent -- sounding much like a parking officer demanding that we move from the airport's departure area.

Thankfully, it was a tree hugger who wanted to know how well it moved, referring to our 2008 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid.

"Not sure, really," we said. "We've only had it for an hour." He breathed in the new-car smell and predicted satisfaction: "The hybrid is the way of the future," he told us. We were about to test that theory, hauling two children, four adults, five suitcases and four large knapsacks through Ontario and Quebec.

:

With comfort achieved, we set forth, wondering if the luxury of having so much room would provoke scowls from green types who have been known to suggest big-SUV drivers "are insecure and vain" and have, says French anthropologist G. Clotaire Rapaille, a "reptile brain."

But the Hybrid badges shielded us from such silliness and kept the focus on the real appeal of full-sized SUVs -- the convenience.

In Niagara Falls, weary forty-something dads peered at the Tahoe Hybrid's size with the sort of envy reserved for high-end sports cars, their children trailing behind them, faces covered in ice cream.

Canada's capital was decked out with many mid-sized hybrids in front of Parliament Hill. Passersby lauded the government's enviro-diligence, but the big SUVs used by the military and other government officials on and around the Hill were all gas-powered. The Tahoe Hybrid stood out as a practical, efficient way to move people and cargo rather than as a showpiece.

Quebec City cast the Tahoe in its best light. The old town, packed with revellers celebrating the city's 400th anniversary, kept traffic moving at a snail's pace. We rolled down streets using mostly electric power, feeling green with pride as smaller vehicles spewed carbon while they idled around us. The irony was obvious. One tourist pointed to us and exclaimed: "Oh my God, it's a Tahoe Hybrid." So, too, its novelty. The Château Frontenac's valet declared when we pulled up that Tahoe Hybrids park for free.

The review is quite good. It's amazing but they got fuel economy equivalent to what I used to get in my 2004 CTS. That's very very impressive for a vehicle as large as the Tahoe.

Full review.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Eventually all large vehicles will have to be hybrids - and that could be a GOOD thing because one reason they're so expensive is that they are still a 'boutique' drive.

If you only make 10,000 the marginal unit cost of the hybrid drive is much higher than if you just made all Tahoes hybrid and sold 250,000 of them.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Sounds like they loved it!

but is this a mistake? Im not 100% positive how the drivetrain works, but i though it would be RWD/4WD.

Key to both efficient highway and city driving was keeping the four-wheel-drive Tahoe in front-wheel-drive mode and letting the electric motors do as much of the work as possible. On the highway, we kept the speed in the range of 100 to 110 kilometres an hour, and used only four of the engine's eight cylinders and electric power.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I saw a review of the Durango hybrid a week ago. They guy liked it too, the Durango got close to 22 mpg overall. It's good see some positive reviews of US vehicles out there.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like they loved it!

but is this a mistake? Im not 100% positive how the drivetrain works, but i though it would be RWD/4WD.
I thought so, too, but it could just be a habit of FWD/AWD that many vehicles are today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts