GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=10201029

Maserati the winner when it comes to sweet-sounding exhaust
Only in Britain you say? It seems that our friends on the Isles have been trying to figure out just what it is about the automobile that makes Page 3 girls, or any women for that matter, aroused. While sexy styling might get an initial glance, science proves it's more likely the sound of an engine revving that will either turn on or turn off the opposite sex.

The U.K. study confirms that women lust after fast, beautiful cars. So premium carmakers can breathe a collective sigh of relief knowing that men will continue flocking into their showrooms to impress the women in their lives. However, they might want to consider spending more on optimizing the note coming from the tailpipe than on aesthetics.

Most guys favour the sound of a Lamborghini's engine. It turns out that British researchers have discovered it's actually the sound of a high-performance engine revving that gets a woman's motor spinning; information collected from a study of 40 male and female participants. They were played recordings of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati and Volkswagen Polo engines, the latter a plebian global subcompact not sold in North America.

After hearing the recordings, each participant had their saliva swabbed and analyzed for hormone levels, resulting in a winner. It turns out the Maserati soundtrack caused the biggest jump in testosterone levels from each and every woman tested.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I drive along the same section of road every morning as a new Maserati Quadroport. It fair dinkum sounds like a high end sports bike - you know when it is coming from behind. The noise would get a bit monotonous though I reckon.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I drive along the same section of road every morning as a new Maserati Quadroport. It fair dinkum sounds like a high end sports bike - you know when it is coming from behind. The noise would get a bit monotonous though I reckon.
I'd like to drive one and find out. Somehow I doubt it would, at least not for me. :D

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I think they are attracted to the money they have, look at the cars they are talking about.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Call it opinion, this is where, assuming the best from all, ( on the street ) a big block V8 ( automotive only ) shines over all others.

Perhaps its about low frequencies and not quite sensed 'sympathetic vibration'.

'Shakin' All Over - is the idea here - well sorta' - you can be usefully more specific. Mid solar plexus is where you wanna' start, work your way out from there.

As far as (stock) mass production goes, its awfully hard to beat a '60's Mopar 440 of the right type winding out - the induction moan and how it fits in with the rest is the key.

(Without a doubt, the most over used and unrecognized background sound track in the movie industry.)

Go after market and almost all V8's can made or included - especially at or near 'idle'.

Flat tappet cam makes it easier - with the right exhaust and induction.

V12s on aircraft and Armor ( unmuffled) although that last is more about fear arousal - which up to a point, is similar.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Is a boosted 3800 considered a big engine? I hope so...

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
lol, I'm sure it sounds sweet F14 :D You know the best thing? You'll probably pick up a chick mechanic in a car like the Reatta. Got to be happy with that.

On topic, Mrs. mak told me one day that she used love the sound of me taking off in the VP wagon. When she told me was also the time I needed to replace the muffler.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
It isn't road worthy yet. You can bet though I'll make it all but GMI front page news when it is

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
What if you start talking about lubricants, crankshafts, and bore and stroke?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hrm, so basically if you want your woman to grow a beard and a pair of testicles you take her for a trash in a Quattroporte, interesting.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Hrm, so basically if you want your woman to grow a beard and a pair of testicles you take her for a trash in a Quattroporte, interesting.
Okaaaay. So Mrs. Mak shall be confined to the Vectra from now on.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Doesn't look like I'll be pickin up any chicks in the 'bu then w/that quiet lil 2.4L...... :( haha

·
Premium Member
35,874 Posts
Doesn't look like I'll be pickin up any chicks in the 'bu then w/that quiet lil 2.4L...... :( haha
All you need is a couple of quality outdoors speakers underneath, and an MP3 or whatever with the proper recorded sounds...bingo! You're there, mate! :)

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
No, audio as discussed here cannot cause excessive production..... its like a fuel air mixture ratio - there is an ideal range.

Testosterone is the hormone of ( female) 'desire'.

On the otherhand, if you want her to get bored , fall asleep, and go home early you could use a Prius.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts