GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, last Saturday was the day when I turned my 2004 Malibu Maxx in. I remember bringing her home that first day, driving my first new car. And 60k miles later, I was some what sad to see it go. A lot of great and unforgetable memories were had in that car. Lots of dirty ones too...:cool:
But, I gave Chevy back the keys and started to walk around while they got the paperwork together.
I had my girlfriend drive the Maxx to the dealer while I followed behind in my 72 Camaro. When I pulled into the dealer, they all gathered around.
Now...this is where my day at the dealer really got funny....
I said "yeah well, you guys should be excited about the new one. Are you guys gunna watch the unveiling on Monday?"

They gave me a blank stair....

"What are you talking about?" they said.
I said "Camaro. GM is going to show in front of the world the production Camaro."
One guy said "yeah well...Im not holding my breath, I dont think they are going to make it."
Another salesman said "Yeah...I dont think that will bring it out, or if they do it will cost a lot of money and probably sell like the Vette."
Another one "Nah...I think Camaro is dead for good. You should check your sources."

Now...as many of you know, Camaro is a touchy subject for me. And for Chevy sales people not to know about one of the biggest launches of the last half decade, this botherd me.

So i said, "My sources? My source is GM. Its on thier web page. You guys should probably check that out since...you know...sell thier cars and such."
They all gave me a dirty look and said "yeah...well we will see, who knows."
I said "I do, I guess you guys need to keep up to date on your product, especially one that is as big as this. If customers know more about products then you do, I guess that doesnt say a lot about this dealer."

I was rather upset that they had this stupid attitude. Who would of thunk that the guy with the Camaro tshirt on, driving the 72 Camaro, would know anything about the car? And wouldnt you want to know about something like this? If that was the case, and people were going to start pouring into your dealer asking "WHEN CAN I GET ONE!!" shouldnt you be in the know?

I know not all dealers are like this, and I know not all salesman are like this.
It makes me want to be a salesman so I can give these dealers a chance.

Anyway, had to rant about that. And to think I almost got another car from them.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Oy, that still happens FAR too much.

Not even knowing about the Camaro--even to the extent that it's a production car--is probably the ultimate spell of BAD for any Chevy salesman. It's weird how some know so much of nothing, you wonder how they keep going all day around cars, while a select few do know. Case in point? My favorite saleslady, who's been in the business for years, quoted part of the story from a few weeks back about the full-size GM SUV's possibly being replaced by lighter unibody units. I had just read the story and she--always up to date--spoke like a knowledgeable book.

That Camaro story is actually so scary...I'd have to stay away from that dealer. Or at least be inclined to take them as a group to a computer with internet access and say "See, here it is, the production car, it starts production here, these are the options...it's REAL." Still, some probably wouldn't believe it.

Oy...so what is replacing the Maxx?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
To respond to what some others may chime in with too...I know every salesperson can't know every fact. But at least take a few minutes a day to review the models, take some drives, look at equipment listings, and get comfortable with it.

Actually, more so, if you're not at all interested in cars...start looking elsewhere. You don't have to be a fanatic, but it helps massively. Or at least try. Please.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
if they dont like cars then they probably shouldn't be selling cars in the first place, when i was 16 i went to the dealer when my dad was buying a suburban and I knew more about the vette the then sales men. I had customers asking me about the car instead of the guy who worked there. People should really try to get jobs that they can enjoy

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Tell me about it, the guys at the dealer never seem to know much. I knew more about the Malibu than the salesman did. By the time I finished my sales pitch, my parents just asked the salesman for a test drive and the papers to sign.
By the way, those Chevy salesman are the dumbest GM employees ever. They've only been talking about it since the concept arrived, they've shown production cars, Scott Settlemeyer's been raving his ass off on Camaro forums about it, how did they ever believe that it wouldn't come? Idiots.

And are you going to get a new Malibu?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
if they dont like cars then they probably shouldn't be selling cars in the first place, when i was 16 i went to the dealer when my dad was buying a suburban and I knew more about the vette the then sales men. I had customers asking me about the car instead of the guy who worked there. People should really try to get jobs that they can enjoy
I have been in that EXACT same situation more than once, much to the dismay of the salesperson.

On the flip side, I also have been a help to even my in the know saleslady, helping her figure out what things like the GM PAL connection did and where it was in a Solstice. Another includes already knowing about an error in the titling of interior trim on the GM system right before she went to look it up. "Really? I should let you do this, hah."

Otherwise, it's been trying to explain what engine was in an Acadia, what trim of Malibus was what, etc. in various other places. Enthusiasts will always know a lot, but salespeople could be much more in the know if they even took a few minutes per day to learn--if they want to, that is.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
I know not all dealers are like this, and I know not all salesman are like this. It makes me want to be a salesman so I can give these dealers a chance.
....and be able to know the HISTORY behind the nameplate as well, BigAl.

I remember in the mid-1990s when the FWD Celebrity/Lumina/mc came out, several dealers I visited back then didn't even know the MC had been previously made 1970-1988. I didn't stay very long at those dealerships.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Your chance has come and gone" ... JoJo ... 'Too Little Too Late'

·
Registered
458 Posts
The same thing happened to me, kinda. I went to check out the Enclave with my Dad, for my Grandparents and I decided to walk over to the neighboring Chevy dealer. Not only did he not know the Traverse was at all related to the Outlook, but he had no idea what the Volt was. I guess it's understandable that he didn't know about the Volt...I mean it's only GM's single most important launch of the decade.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
not the kind of people i would purchase from, you need to buy from the old guy that has been ther a while and knows his shiz

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Midweek Salutations Big Al:

Don't be too hard on the salespeople. When you work in the corporate structure there is always "a lot of talk, followed by very little action." The salesperson must consider what's on the plate (already there) not a vehicle that may come in a year or two, if ever! It wouldn't be the first time GM cancelled a project after pouring time, talent, and tons of money in it. Just in this forum look up: Ultra V8, Cadillac Sixteen, and there are now rumors, that the long awaited DT7, may be cancelled as well.:(

I understand the zeal you have for the Camaro, and I expect if GM's finances and liquidity survive the car may be built, but I wouldn't be surprised if something happens to push it back, or place it on the shelf indefinitely, for something more mainstream and demanded by the public for today's needs. Check out the recent sales of one of the Cobalt models, it was totally unexpected by GM!:yup:

As you pointed out in a recent post, you are still kind of young, and as such have the tendency to get a great deal more excited and passionate about material things (I've been there, done that), however later on when more realities set in: After you get married, have a family, start losing parents, have more everyday expenses, your priorities will change, and you will change the focus of your dreams to something, a bit closer to home (maturity)

Until then you have us to drive crazy...and communicate with. See things aren't all that bad, now go buy that Impala!:lmao:

:drive:

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
First off, a Chevy Salesperson is NOT an GM Employee, unless the dealership is corporately owned, and that's not the case for every dealership I know.

Second, getting good help is hard. Training is the key, and even then, sometimes it just doesn't sink in.

Although the Toyota Venza doesn't go on sale until January, we've already given our sales staff all of the preliminary information (and pictures) that have come out already.

But when I was in the dealership just yesterday, I overheard a customer asking a salesman for a 5 passenger Highlander, since he needed the room, more than the seating, and the sales person never mentioned the upcoming Venza. I had to step in.

It's unfortunate, especially in the case of a huge comeback like the Camaro, that there isn't more excitement on the sales floor.

You can lead a salesperson to a customer, but you can't make him think.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I have never found a salesperson that could tell me something about the car I was buying, that I didin't know already. Usually, I give them info and point them to this forum so they can educate themselves, and keep up with the latest info.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Unfortunately, it appears, to be a car salesman you don't have to know much about what your selling. I'd recommend reading the story at Edmunds.com where they sent one of their reports to work as a car salesman in a few dealerships.

It's revealing to hear the other side of the story, which, sad to say, isn't always pretty.

After reading it, I'm no longer surprised at some of the attitudes and shenanigans that go on. Luckily, there are some good knowledgable salespeople out there. I haven't run into more than a few though.

Confessions of a Car Salesman:
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
This is not just a Camaro phenomenon. I've asked many questions at dealers about upcoming cars and they've either been clueless about what is coming down the pipeline, or intentionally act stupid so they can pull the "what can I get you into today?!?" line.

In other words, they don't have the knowledge, or lack the enthusiasm to discuss future product with someone who isn't going to drive off the lot in a new Tahoe.

This equally applies to the most dead deaerships (no potential customers except me).

I've found the most enthusiastic and willing to talk salesmen are young guys who just started, while the white hairs sit around a table casting dirty looks our way. Usually when I return to said dealership, the young guy has quit, and the old guys around the table are still there. Inevitably one will get up, saunter over, and try to get me into an SUV.

Some GM dealerships are just the worst when it comes to acting like real enthusiasts of GM product (unless they're showing off the most expensive vehicle on the lot to you and think they have a chance for a sale, then they brighten up). You practically have to walk in with a fistful of cash and a sign around your neck that says "full-size SUV buyer" to get some of them to enthusiastically greet you.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oy...so what is replacing the Maxx?
And are you going to get a new Malibu?
No...that big sexy B body will be my daily for now, but I am looking at selling the 72 as well as taking the money I have saved up to buy a new Camaro. If anything, that will be my main and probably only car for now. Its much more then material, its my love for the car. Its a beautiful car, and it should take care of just about everything I would need it too.

Midweek Salutations Big Al:

Don't be too hard on the salespeople. When you work in the corporate structure there is always "a lot of talk, followed by very little action." The salesperson must consider what's on the plate (already there) not a vehicle that may come in a year or two, if ever! It wouldn't be the first time GM cancelled a project after pouring time, talent, and tons of money in it. Just in this forum look up: Ultra V8, Cadillac Sixteen, and there are now rumors, that the long awaited DT7, may be cancelled as well.:(

I understand the zeal you have for the Camaro, and I expect if GM's finances and liquidity survive the car may be built, but I wouldn't be surprised if something happens to push it back, or place it on the shelf indefinitely, for something more mainstream and demanded by the public for today's needs. Check out the recent sales of one of the Cobalt models, it was totally unexpected by GM!:yup:

As you pointed out in a recent post, you are still kind of young, and as such have the tendency to get a great deal more excited and passionate about material things (I've been there, done that), however later on when more realities set in: After you get married, have a family, start losing parents, have more everyday expenses, your priorities will change, and you will change the focus of your dreams to something, a bit closer to home (maturity)

Until then you have us to drive crazy...and communicate with. See things aren't all that bad, now go buy that Impala!:lmao:

:drive:
While all of that is true, this isnt just a Cobalt or a Aveo. Its the Camaro, and on the food chain, the only thing that would outrank Camaro would be Corvette, and it should be treated as such. Not even the Vette got as much attention as the Camaro did in 2006, and continues to get attention.
Camaro is a HUGE part of Chevy's line up IN SIX MONTHS! Dont you think that they should at least know its coming?
Now, I do not expect them to know every single detail about the car, but I do expect them to know that a car of this magnitude is coming!!

Chevy sales people that are worth thier weight in gold should know about several key products, and Camaro is one of them. Not knowing about the Volt, Camaro, or even the Cruze is embarasing when there is the internet to read up on this in a matter of seconds. Customers will come in armed with info, and you will not be ready.

Now, I am a salesman as well, and belive me I know every single tire, brake pad, shock and strut that I sell. I know about Goodyears new Eagle GT with its asymetrical design, and we arent getting them for another few months.
I know about product before it hits the wall, because thats how my company does things. We have the best training out of any big box auto service center.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I had a friend who was interested in a Cobalt XFE after I told him about them(when they first were coming out)
He went to the local Chevrolet dealership and the salesman there had no idea what an XFE model was. I sent him a link to GMI on his phone and he pulled it up to read to the salesman. Two days later they located one at another dealership and called my friend. They also told him that they had a meeting the day after he showed them the article to update the salespeople.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Ming is right on the ball here. If GM was watching dealerships more closely (to which they shouldn't need to) there wouldn't be any of this. Chevy/Cadillac and BPG chains should look at how things work at Saturn/Saab.

Saturn last time I was there, I was just browsing around to see what they had on the lot, a salesman came up to us and asked us if we needed help. We just said "we are looking at what you have here" and anywhere else they would leave you alone, but he stayed around and talked about every car, from Astra to Aura to Sky to Vue. Then he asked if we were interested in anything and we said "not at the moment" so he simply said to follow him and he gave us a tour of all their cars except the Outlook. Before we left he gave us a list of the vehicles we saw, their options and estimated prices.

We were so impressed that we gave him a call a week later and bought a car (on the phone) through him. We never needed a car, but we loved the support and enthusiasm. When my mom used to buy Saab's it was the same service (though different dealership). If we can get any other GM dealership to match their service I can almost guarantee sales would increase greatly.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Al! You need a new sig that lets everyone completely forget the Malibu during its awkward years.

And, as Ming (I think) started getting at earlier, it could just be that sales people couldn't care less about what GM is going to make for the 2010 MY. And they don't want you to care either. They want you to care about what 2008 model they can shoe horn you into, so that they can get their floorplan finance charges back in check.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts