GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what modifications you've made to your car that you really like and mods that you regret. It could be a performance mod, a stereo, window tinting, steering wheel cover, a certain motor oil, etc.

I hear a lot of good things about K&N filters, but I wonder if a filter is helping performance and helping gas mileage then wouldn't that mean that it was letting in more air? If that is the case then isn't it letting in more dirt and defeating the purpose of a filter?

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I bought a decal off eBay one time to a third brake light. It looked cool at first (like something the factory should've done), but it crinkled up from the heat and looked like ___ after a while.

I don't even regret that though, as I learned from it--just like everything else.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
There is one project that I am sort of regretting, not because it looks bad, just because it is taking forever. I am painting a good majority of my interior trim a matte black. Looks fantastic, but it is a whole heck of a lot more work than I originally imagined. The door trim is the worst because it actually uses plastic rivets to attach to the door card, so I had to grind the rivets off before being able to paint... re-attaching will be interesting, most likely silicone and JB weld.

I am most looking forward to putting later MY projector xenon headlights into my car to replace my reflector Xenons, however, if I don't wind up getting a discount at my dealer for them, they will be about $800 a pop. I am serious about good lighting though.

I have a whole list of modifications for my car, hopefully none of them I will really regret...

- 17% or 19% supercharger pulley
- 1" drop
- Factory Aero Bumpers and sideskirts
- Re-covering the interior seating surfaces with real leather
- Anthracite (very dark) Headliner and pillar trim
- New Rims (Nothing very "tuner" looking, they almost look like my stock wheels with one less spoke and more of a "dish" to them)
- Factory High performance cold air intake (John Cooper Works CAI)

And depending on how things go, possibly an entire John Cooper Works Package: header, exhaust, pulley, remapped ECU, and plugs; a good 40-HP gain over my measly 163-HP.

-Chase

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I'd say the only project i did that i ever regretted was the steering wheel cover i put on. not because it looks bad (it matches my interior well) i regret it because it was a pain in the butt to install (it's one of the stretchable ones) and it took awhile before i got it to look right on the wheel. However I'm looking forward to my other projects which include

K&N airfilter and gutting the airbox

Clamp on exhaust tip

New headlights

and other subtle tweaks as soon as i get a large enough budget

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Things I've done to the s10 this summer.
Home made cold air/ram air intake, bigger TB, gutted cat, high flow muffler, low temp stat, E-fan, deleted A/C, clamped leaf springs, window tint back window.

The only thing I regret is the gutting of the cat, killed my torque. I ran a pipe through the cat then but it didn't really help.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Little Green Pine tree air freshener. Not so ftw.
Yankee Candle Air Fresheners FTW!

Had a 'leather' scented one hanging from the mirror in my Mark VII.....helped me forget the leather buckets up front were all cracked to ****......:lmao:

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
I recently was sitting at a stop light and a car pulls up next to me. The radio (bass) was so loud, my dashboard started vibrating. I look over, and there is a mother in the front seat and this poor girl in the back staring out the window at me, as if to say "I am a child, I should not be subjected to this, please save my hearing."

I am quite happy with my factory stereo.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Best mods - window tint, spray-in bedliners for trucks, CAIs, exhaust systems, computer tuning, aftermarket wheels and tires, and lift/lowering kits.

Worst mods - stickers, body kits, wings, and tacky paint jobs.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Best mod on the old car: I put an Ooogahh horn in it when the old one stoped working, man was it fun to have that horn. Now I just need to find a good way to put it in the new car, not as the normal horn, but add another button as an aux horn.

Also I have to say I love the desicion to put the window tints on the new car. Yes it does make it look better, but it keeps the car a lot cooler in the summer then I thought it would.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
I just finishing swapping an Olds 355 into my 87 442 replacing an HO Olds307...

My quest was to build a 442 that could spank a stock GN...
You know the Car that GM should have built...(first time we have heard that one)

To be honest I took a car that was
1) Fun to drive
2) Got OK mileage (17 city 25 highway), on regular, for full frame V8 car and
3) Had zero issues with tail pipe emissions testing

and made a car that
1) Is impossible to drive, stalls all the time, idles like a truck.
2) Sucks Premium faster then a frat boy can drink Coors
3) Has a better chance of floating to Hawaii then passing emissions...

I'm sure once I get the tune right I will have 300 HP at the rear wheels. :rolleyes:
Ya and Teri Hatcher keeps calling me to try out her new hot-tub...

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Some of hte Best mod to my Jeep so far in order

Weber Carb Swap
Posi Lok (positive Axel engagement)
33" TSL Swampers
2.5" Old Man Emu Springs, Greasable shackles, and shocks
CAvalier Seats
body armor.

The worst was the body lift, but it came with it, it is coming out this fall for a Spring over.

some things even swampers wont get ya thru.....But they sure dig big holes

As for my SS, the flash and LED undercar, have been the funnest, butthe police dont like my LED, or the tint so I had to take it off, kinda sticklers around here....

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
In my high school days, I put a High Output Quad 4 IDI cover on my regular Quad 4 engine, as well as replacing the fender emblems with "16 VALVE H.O." versions in my 150 horsepower 1989 Grand Am SE. I can't say they helped performance, though. :)

I think my dad still has all of the parts (he removed them when he sold the car), and the fender emblems are sticking on the side of his filing cabinet.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
17 % tint - excellent

HID fogs - I bought 8K, I am buying a 6K set next. I want white, not blue, GREAT visibility though, make sure you aim them right.

12" Kicker- Stock Bose system had terrible bass, this fills the bottom nicely - stock everything else

18" Z wheels - love the look vs the stocker 17's

I've done the Rear Sway bar and Strut Tower Brace, I'd like to put Illumina struts and Eibach springs for a real mid drop with better ride and handling. That would complete my handling package

I haven't done anything to increase power, the stock VQ35 is very nice for a family sedan.

My next mod - paying it off by April and then driving it for free for 5 years....priceless~! I'll pay cash for my next car.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Good mods:

Eclipse/TomTom GPS head unit in my Forester

1200W inverter in the Century...you can imagine how convenient it is to have real power available on a plumbing vehicle, not having to lug around a generator

'99-04 Mustang GT 17'' wheels on my Reatta...talk about a total change in looks and handling

BAD mods:

the M62 swap in the Reatta. I really should have skipped it and did the Series II swap to start with. So many little issues

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Best on the SS:

Electric fans, shift kit, cowl hood, engine (cam, carb, intake, etc.) mods, radio upgrade (Delco head unit with direct input to the amp in the trunk for MP3 players), and posi track.

Okay, okay... there haven't been any bad mods on the SS...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Best performance mod I have ever made was the installation of taller rear gears. I went from 2.73 to 3.73 and it made all the difference in the world. The bottom end torque is amazing and the old bird can smoke em through 2nd gear (4spd auto). I sacrificed top-end for low-end bounce and it was well worth it as who the h#ll does 140 anyway??

2nd best mod was sub-frame connectors...installed to stiffen up the convertible.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
My came with a few changes when I bought it.

It came with a remote starter, tinted windows, and 7-spoke, 17-inch wheels from a 2006 Maxima SL.

I do not use the remote starter. If it helps me sell the car down the line, fine, but I have used it four times, twice by accident.:)

The tinted windows look awesome. But...the rear window tint is separating a bit.

I like the look of my wheels, but they are not of good quality. When they were brand new, the painted finish was uneven. Last winter, rock and salt chips sprang up in many places. Now the clearcoat is flaking around the chips and large parts of the finish are terribly corroded. I am debating whether to refinish the wheels myself. The wheels are partially a painted finish and partially a machined finish. If I did fix them, I woudl just go with an entirely painted finish. Sand, filler, prime, paint, clearcoat.

Apart from my car, the worst mod is car bras. Those wreak havoc on the paint they cover.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts