GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So for purposes of discussion, assume you need a new car. Assume you are given 30,000.00 to buy a car. Any money you dont spend you dont get back, so buying a 94 Taurus for five hundred dollars just means you passed up on about 29.5k. You can choose a car that's not out yet but nothing more than a year from the showrooms.

You can assume you'll get a good deal and ignore taxes and title since that varies, but no "negotiating" a new Corvette ZR1 for 30k.. and you will have to pay insurance and upkeep on the car yourself.

What do you get and why?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well for me it will be the 2012 Ford Focus Titanium. I like the way it looks and it will have all the features that I want. I am still looking but for right now that is what it is looking like since we already have a family vehicle.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Probably 2012 Ford Focus Titanium.

The 2011 Optima SX turbo would be extremely hard to pass up, however.

I'd be all for a Regal if the fuel economy didn't suck. (19/30 for a DI 2.4 is horrendous, I'm sorry)

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
For a coupe-Camaro LT2 RS 6 speed manual-$29,411

Sedan-Buick LaCrosse CXL-$31,827(I'll cover the $1827)

Xover-Equinox LTZ 2.4-$31,890

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
If a Regal wagon was available I would consider that.

As for something that is currently available I'd go with the Jetta TDI SportWagon with 6 speed DSG with sunroof and navigation.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Hmmm... here are some used cars I'd buy for $30k
2008 Dodge Magnum SRT8 - the last muscle wagon
2008 Chevy Suburban
2009 Lincoln Town Car
2008+ Challenger SRT8

I'd get the 08 Magnum SRT8 because I love big RWD American wagons with brash styling and big V8s. The 08 Magnum was a beautiful example of one and the last of the American muscle wagons. Suburban is obvious choice as its pretty much my ideal vehicle. I've always loved the Lincoln Town Car and would be content to own one. Challenger speaks for itself. Its not as quick or agile as the Stang or Camaro, but it looks worlds better than either and is as close to owning a late 60s, early 70s A-body as I'll ever get.

If I were forced to buy new with the $30k:
2010 GMC Sierra CCSB 2WD (with rebates it dips below $30k)
2010 Charger R/T (with rebates you can get it under $30k)

I basically picked a sparely equipped 2WD crew cab pickup and a Charger V8 as they're pretty much the only new vehicles that can be had for under $30k that I have any interest in owning.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
30,000 is enough to score a:

2004 MB SL500,
2005 S Class,
2007 Lexus GS hybrid
2007/8 Lexus LS.
2006 XLR,
2008 Escalade,
2009 CTS
2009 V8 STS, or
2007 CTS-V.

Take your pick

I from that list I would probably take a 2008 LS.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Hmmm... here are some used cars I'd buy for $30k
2008 Dodge Magnum SRT8 - the last muscle wagon
2008 Chevy Suburban
2009 Lincoln Town Car
2008+ Challenger SRT8

I'd get the 08 Magnum SRT8 because I love big RWD American wagons with brash styling and big V8s. The 08 Magnum was a beautiful example of one and the last of the American muscle wagons. Suburban is obvious choice as its pretty much my ideal vehicle. I've always loved the Lincoln Town Car and would be content to own one. Challenger speaks for itself. Its not as quick or agile as the Stang or Camaro, but it looks worlds better than either and is as close to owning a late 60s, early 70s A-body as I'll ever get.

If I were forced to buy new with the $30k:
2010 GMC Sierra CCSB 2WD (with rebates it dips below $30k)
2010 Charger R/T (with rebates you can get it under $30k)

I basically picked a sparely equipped 2WD crew cab pickup and a Charger V8 as they're pretty much the only new vehicles that can be had for under $30k that I have any interest in owning.
MSRP on a new Challenger R/T automatic is 29 995$ IIRC that's the way to go, but you really should get the stick :drive:

I would say the Magnum SRT-8 to be the last of the American muscle wagons, but also the first :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Well, I have my daily drivers sorted out for now, so I'd buck the trend and buy an old cruiser for sunny weekends. The car wouldn't have to be a 1000 point Concours car, but mint & original (no customs/hack jobs). $30K can get you a lot of classic car. Because of the breadth & nature of this market, I won't narrow down too much beyond saying I'd concentrate on looking for an Oldsmobile or Cadillac coupe/convertible from the mid-late 50's thru about 1974, depending on what is available & what grabs me. I could just as easily go for a '69 442 as a '57 Cadillac Coupe, and wouldn't turn down something off the beaten path like a '58 Chrysler D500 Custom Royal Lancer, a '74 SD Trans Am, an early 63-65 Riviera, '84 Eldorado Convertible (yes, even with the HT4100) etc depending how it struck me.

Why? I love the design & mechanical simplicity of the cars from this time period.

If I was going for late model, I would choose between the latest model+lowest mile examples of the following:
A4 Cabriolet Quattro
MB CLK convertible
MB SL convertible
Corvette convertible
Used G8 GXP
STS-V (I've heard of low mile examples turning up for around $30K)

Why? I love convertibles and Q-ships.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
MSRP on a new Challenger R/T automatic is 29 995$ IIRC that's the way to go, but you really should get the stick :drive:
Oh definitely the stick! That's why I didn't put the Challenger R/T on the list.

I would say the Magnum SRT-8 to be the last of the American muscle wagons, but also the first :D
Oh I can think of some previous muscle wagons. The 1957 Chevy Nomad came with an optional fuel injected V8, which made it quite the quick "little" wagon for its time.

Also a 1970 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser could be had with the 442's 455ci big block Oldsmobile V8.

And lastly the LT1 powered Buick Roadmasters were every bit as quick as a Mustang GT of similar vintage. Maybe more of a q-ship wagon, but in 1994 that thing was a rocket.

There are assuredly others, but these are just a few of them that came to mind. We Americans have a history of taking large engines and putting them under the hood of station wagons. Or they simply benefit from being related to cars with said big engines.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Hmm...there are a number of great choices for $30000. Since it is a daily driver, practicality will be a concern. Hmm, a quandary...

My considerations, in alphabetical order:

Audi S4 (B7)

BMW M3 (E46)
BMW M5 (E39)

Ford Fusion (SEL or Sport...)

Mazdaspeed 3

Pontiac G8

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
One of these 4:

2010 Ford Fusion awd
2010 Ford Edge SEL awd (with rebates is under $30K)
2010 Equinox 2lt awd
2011 Kia Sorento Ex V6 awd

·
Registered
173 Posts
2007+ BMW 335i coupe all day long. I actually just drove an '08 335i sedan for about 2 hours yesterday and couldn't believe how fast it was. Put $30,000 in my hand and watch how fast I get 1...

·
Premium Member
35,896 Posts

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
1 - 20 of 60 Posts