GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after reading all the discussion about how bad the various auto mags are, it got me wondering. Are there any decent auto mags that give the big three a fair shake?

I am looking for a magazine that fairly reviews the latest models, does comparison testing, has informative technology articles, keeps me updated with the latest industry news, etc...

So, which ones are best?

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
I was all about to say Collectible Automobile or Hemmings Classic Car (I think that's their current name--it keeps changing), but then I see you wanted something about current cars.

Automobile Magazine is still the gold standard.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I still like them all regardless of the verdict here! I collect them and will continue to do so, my archive will rule!
I still subscribe to:
MT
CD
AW
RT
Automobile

I have all MT since 67' in mint condition, bought on Ebay. Cost more to ship than buy!!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I like AutoWeek because of the weekly format. as far as the others go, they are too biased for me. I do however enjoy misc. other mags such as Car Craft, SuperChevy, HotRod and many other performance mags.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I'm still a fan of Motor Trend. I really miss mph. They're online now, but I prefer my auto mags in paper form. Winding Road is an online one, but since starting this job last year, I don't just simply sit on front of a computer with nothing to do all day (just most of the day now ;) ), so I've hardly read any in the past year.

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
I was all about to say Collectible Automobile or Hemmings Classic Car (I think that's their current name--it keeps changing), but then I see you wanted something about current cars.

Automobile Magazine is still the gold standard.
+1 I read also Collectible Automobile and for current cars, I read 2 French car magazines available in Quebec, Canada. Automag and "Le monde de l'Auto" and I often ask for Christmas the annual car book "Le Guide de l'Auto"

Also, check for other Canadian magazines like CarGuide http://www.carguidemagazine.com/ and World of Wheels (not related to the Australian magazine Wheels)

·
Registered
785 Posts
automotive, autoweek, can I include foreign magazines? (CAR, EVO) subiesport, french publication sport auto, and Frances version of automobile mag, l'automobile.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I currently subscribe to Motor Trend, but don't like all the articles about the Kia this and the Hyundai that ..blah blah blah......

I guess that is why I have been spending so much time on GMI:D

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I stopped reading the domestic rags in the '80s. The writing became absurdly dumbed-down and decidedly unprofessional. Words like "stuff" and "cool" don't belong in professional writing. That aside, I simply couldn't take them seriously anymore. They became increasingly xenophobic (typical attitude of the Reagan era), with no more interesting articles on releases of new cars overseas. And it was difficult to take seriously a publication that complained about lack of cupholders in a Porsche 911...

I've read magazines from all over the globe since I was quite young and it was a monthly ritual to drive down to a particular newsagent in Cape Town that carried (at substantial cost) the American and UK magazines, which I read religiously in addition to South Africa's own Car. The US publications were far more professionally written in those days.

Britain's Car is far and away the finest automobile publication on Earth, with intelligent and witty writing. Its past writers, from the hyperlexic rabbi L.J.K. Setright to the fantastically sarcastic Brendan Fraser, set the standard for automotive writing.

While sadly I never learnt enough German to fully grasp the language, I enjoyed what I could understand of Germany's Auto Motor und Sport and found it, along with the Swiss Automobil Revue to be Europe's best.

My subscriptions to all my global mags, from the UK, South Africa, and even Australia's Wheels, have all since lapsed, as like many I rely on the 'net for news and reviews.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Britain's Car is far and away the finest automobile publication on Earth, with intelligent and witty writing. Its past writers, from the hyperlexic rabbi L.J.K. Setright to the fantastically sarcastic Brendan Fraser, set the standard for automotive writing.
I agree, I have read CAR for years, although they clearly have a pro British bias and fall into the America bashing nonsense that is so prevalent these days. I also read Motor Trend which has improved since Angus Mackenzie got there.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Car and Driver. They're not perfect.....like I don't always agree with the "winner", but they seem to give the fairest shake to all comers.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Car and Driver for new stuff (CAR is pretty pricey to buy; what are the subscription rates like?).

Hemmings has three good ones: Muscle Machines, Sports and Exotic, and Classic Cars.

Sportscar and Classic used to be good....

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
they clearly have a pro British bias and fall into the America bashing nonsense that is so prevalent these days.
Sometimes I'm unsure whether overseas mags are being fair or not. I find many Americans are tolerant of crap that simply can't cut the mustard with more discerning customers, but at the same time British mags get so obsessed with Euro "overtechnology", as I call it, that they fail to sometimes see a product simply for what it is. You can't bash a Kia because it's not a Porsche, but you can bash it for not being an Opel or Toyota. My biggest beef with Car is they all too often fail to compare apples with apples.

I remember one particular article in the early/mid 1990s that praised American cars for being so bold with styling while everything in Europe became so generic it was difficult to tell one model from another. One particular cover of Car featured the faces of about six or seven popular Euro hatches and they all looked identical! Car gave Detroitmobiles their just due.

I think the criticism from overseas mags towards American cars is rooted in the same issue I personally have with them: the fact that they could be so much better, but too often aren't.

And I don't get the obsession with crappy, ugly, hand-built British junk like TVR's and Morgans either...

But if you're gonna read a mag from another country, you have to take their cultural aspects into consideration. In this respect, I like mags like South Africa's Car. With no such thing as a "South African" car, there's no import/domestic bias to worry about. Journos there simply see a car for what it is, and judge it rightfully so. They won't bash a Tata Indica because it doesn't drive like a Ferrari, but they'll bash it for not driving like its competitors.

Plus, I always wondered why US car mags never have price lists or buyers guides in them like is the case elsewhere on Earth?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I actually get over 25 car magazines by subscriptions....I read fast.
I like AutoWeek and MotorTrend of the domestics. The British mag CAR is good but very biased. Auto Motor und Sport and Sport Auto the German magazines are my favorites, but I read "automotive" German.
Basically they're all influenced by advertisers. I like autoblog and jalopnik on line but GMIN is my real favorite..........

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Still read Motorweek. They suck at comparisons, but their articles are excellent. I read the article about the Camaro in this month's issue and I thought it was pretty well written.
Car and Driver isn't bad either.

In reality, every automotive publication will have bias. Why? Because every writer and journalist is biased. In the car industry, a lot of it is based on personal tastes, too. I know some people who absolutely hate how the new Camaro looks, while others love it.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Sometimes I'm unsure whether overseas mags are being fair or not. I find many Americans are tolerant of crap that simply can't cut the mustard with more discerning customers, but at the same time British mags get so obsessed with Euro "overtechnology", as I call it, that they fail to sometimes see a product simply for what it is. You can't bash a Kia because it's not a Porsche, but you can bash it for not being an Opel or Toyota. My biggest beef with Car is they all too often fail to compare apples with apples.

I remember one particular article in the early/mid 1990s that praised American cars for being so bold with styling while everything in Europe became so generic it was difficult to tell one model from another. One particular cover of Car featured the faces of about six or seven popular Euro hatches and they all looked identical! Car gave Detroitmobiles their just due.

I think the criticism from overseas mags towards American cars is rooted in the same issue I personally have with them: the fact that they could be so much better, but too often aren't.

And I don't get the obsession with crappy, ugly, hand-built British junk like TVR's and Morgans either...

But if you're gonna read a mag from another country, you have to take their cultural aspects into consideration. In this respect, I like mags like South Africa's Car. With no such thing as a "South African" car, there's no import/domestic bias to worry about. Journos there simply see a car for what it is, and judge it rightfully so. They won't bash a Tata Indica because it doesn't drive like a Ferrari, but they'll bash it for not driving like its competitors.

Plus, I always wondered why US car mags never have price lists or buyers guides in them like is the case elsewhere on Earth?
Tons of Seth Effrikan automobiles, like old Datsuns from 1970 with the back cut off called bakkies :D And all those BMW's and Mercedes-Benz... Delta Motors too for a short while, etc

JerryL - I thought I was getting a lot with my 1 Automotive Engineering International (I like this one), my 1 MotorTrend, 1 Automobile and 4-odd AutoWeeks every month :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 21 Posts