Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Berlinetta Is the Raddest Camaro GM Ever Built
LS1 Tech
By Tyler Linn
April 3, 2020

‘Starship Camaro’ moniker is a direct result of the fighter-jet-inspired ****pit design used in the Berlinetta Camaro.
The 1984 Berlinetta or “Starship” Camaro is perhaps the coolest pony car to ever make it off a GM showroom floor. This thing is so ’80s retro-future it’s not even funny. This is the stuff dreams are made of. Thank you for uncovering it Auto Europa Naples, we can all die happy now.

History
Auto Europa explains that this 1984 Berlinetta Camaro, otherwise known as the “Starship Camaro” is truly one of a kind. Berlinetta is an Italian word that was predominantly ascribed to sporty vehicles in the 1950s. So Chevy said ‘Sounds cool. Ehh… why not?’

This particular Berlinetta came from the third generation F-body Camaro. Auto Europa shares that the Camaro arrived in this world in 1967 with a sole mission: killing Stangs. No joke. As Chevy once put it, the Camaro is “A small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs.”

Marketing often targeted affluent women, such as secretaries and what not. The Berlinetta cost about the same as the Z28, but was nowhere near as successful. Sales were eventually poor enough to warrant the trim getting axed in ’86.

Everything about this car is just in top shape. Auto Europa even points out how the original weatherstripping looks flawless. That’s just unheard of even for a decade-old vehicle, let alone an ’80s Camaro.

Berlinetta badges also grace the exterior of the vehicle everywhere from the C pillar to the alloy wheels. An odd move for GM, but definitely the right call. This is one seriously good looking car.

Everything about the driver’s setup is just wicked cool. Digital speedo. Digital tach. The control pods (which are fully adjustable) on either side of the steering wheel. This thing really does feel like the ****pit of a fighter jet. They even found a way to make the gear selector look cool. And for some odd reason, it also has a pull-out flashlight.

With a mere 32,000 miles, everything is pristine.
*Full Article with Pictures & Video at Link

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,447 Posts
This particular Berlinetta came from the third generation F-body Camaro. Auto Europa shares that the Camaro arrived in this world in 1967 with a sole mission: killing Stangs. No joke. As Chevy once put it, the Camaro is “A small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs.”
This is laugh worthy (small vicious animal....). It really does look good though. I have it in my head for some reason that this model was aimed more towards the luxury in the segment, so correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Berlinetta came with the 2.8 LC1 V6, but the 5.0 LG4 V8 was an available option.

I vividly remember when this generation Camaro came out, but never knew about the Space-Pod stereo until a few years ago. Like most folks, I paid attention to the Z28, and not much at all to the Berlinetta.

*I believe that Buick offered a similar pod-stereo on their 1985 Somerset Regal.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I had an older cousin who had a Berlinetta that was identical to the one featured here. It was a beautiful car, 2.8L, automatic. The digital displays went out about a month or two after he bought it (new). After the dealership eventually fixed the display, my cousin totalled the car in a rainstorm... Going around a bend, he slid off the road into a telephone pole. I have no doubt that he was driving too fast, as was his norm. He survived unharmed, but the car was bent in half, wrapped around the pole right where the passenger door was.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
The Berlinetta came with the 2.8 LC1 V6, but the 5.0 LG4 V8 was an available option.

I vividly remember when this generation Camaro came out, but never knew about the Space-Pod stereo until a few years ago. Like most folks, I paid attention to the Z28, and not much at all to the Berlinetta.

*I believe that Buick offered a similar pod-stereo on their 1985 Somerset Regal.
I was poking around the "interwebs" on the starship Camaro. Pretty cool, I never new much about the Berlinetta. I always dismissed it as the " base" model with a not-so-exciting V6 and presumed basic interior. I didn't realize it was special in its own way.

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts
I was poking around the "interwebs" on the starship Camaro. Pretty cool, I never new much about the Berlinetta. I always dismissed it as the " base" model with a not-so-exciting V6 and presumed basic interior. I didn't realize it was special in its own way.
The base model 1982 Camaro had the 2.5 Iron Duke as standard and poverty hub caps. Thankfully, that version sold poorly and was phased out within a couple of years.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,447 Posts
The base model 1982 Camaro had the 2.5 Iron Duke as standard and poverty hub caps. Thankfully, that version sold poorly and was phased out within a couple of years.
So I guess the Berlinetta was more of a midrange and yes the secretary special. I did like the look they had though too.

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
I always thought the Berlinetta was a base model with the V6, as they said, for secretaries....
Z28 was performance centric, the Berlinetta was "high-end" but not necessarily with "high-power".

I knew two people that had Berlinetta's in HS, both girls..................

One was the previous generation, I think it was her moms car, but she wasn't a secretary.

That was the car my driver training instructor had, I recall stalling it trying to parallel park on main street, the power-steering pump killed the motor, on a busy day!

I forgot about the secretary special designation. replaced by "chick car"
Too many guy secretaries?............. but yeah Chick-Car.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Z28 was performance centric, the Berlinetta was "high-end" but not necessarily with "high-power".

I knew two people that had Berlinetta's in HS, both girls..................

One was the previous generation, I think it was her moms car, but she wasn't a secretary.
Ha! Sounds like Cadillac's "newfound" Y strategy of distinct luxury vs. performance.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here's a 1985 advertisement for Camaro Berlinetta:

I find this Berlinetta Starship option package fascinating on a few fronts.
1. The cost and uniqueness of a totally new dashboard and stereo only available on just one Camaro model.
2. That this setup wasn't made available for the Firebird (spread the cost out). Almost seems like it was meant for Pontiac, but somehow got wrestled away from them and given to Chevrolet. I suspect it could have been far more popular as the Knight option package on the Trans Am.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
I find this Berlinetta Starship option package fascinating on a few fronts.
1. The cost and uniqueness of a totally new dashboard and stereo on available on just one Camaro model.
2. That this setup wasn't made available for the Firebird (spread the cost out). Almost seems like it was meant for Pontiac, but somehow got wrestled away from them and given to Chevrolet. I suspect it could have been far more popular as the Knight option package on the Trans Am.
I bet you are closer to the truth than we will ever know!

Knight Rider popped into my head when I saw the dash.

·
Registered
718 Posts

I knew two people that had Berlinetta's in HS, both girls.................
Yeah I was 14 and remember it being marketed as the “luxury coupe” version of camaro. My aunt had one. She owned her own clothing shop and fit the intended consumer profile for the most part. The digital instruments and swivel stereo were cool but otherwise it was anonymous. Z28 and later, IROC, was THE car to be seen in back in those days in my small town

oh yeah...and blasting JCM’s “Small Town” while cruising Main Street and going to bush parties. Oh man I’m old now lol

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bet you are closer to the truth than we will ever know!

Knight Rider popped into my head when I saw the dash.
I read that when Knight Rider came out that sales of the Firebird went thru the roof, and Chevrolet most likely lobbied for the Starship option package to have something special/exclusive for the Camaro to offset the popularity Pontiac was experiencing. Though the marketing was the mistake. This should have been also available on the Z28.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
I read that when Knight Rider came out that sales of the Firebird went thru the roof, and Chevrolet most likely lobbied for the Starship option package to have something special/exclusive for the Camaro to offset the popularity Pontiac was experiencing. Though the marketing was the mistake. This should have been also available on the Z28.
Z38 + that interior would've been killer - GM left money on the table....

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Always felt that Berlinetta should've been brought back to the gen 6 Camaro as a luxury trim on the V6 models...a cut above 2LT with stitched dash, color matched seats and Chrome wheels. On convertible models, color matched fabric roofs...along the lines of this Corvette:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts