GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What It Is: A lightly disguised prototype of Bentley’s forthcoming SUV, which will make its official debut at next year’s Frankfurt auto show. The production version will follow in 2016.

Bentley has been dropping broad hints about its SUV for years, and it dropped jaws—not necessarily in a good way—with the chrome-laden EXP 9F concept that was shown at the Geneva auto show in 2012. The “newbentley.com” stickers on this prototype show the company is no longer trying to keep the new model under more than this modest wrapping. And we’re assured that the finished car will be less bling laden than the original concept, and the prototype’s shape and contours make clear that it’s built on a similarly massive scale, albeit with what looks to be a lower roofline. That’s presumably to improve its aerodynamic silhouette from that of a brick outhouse. This is necessary given Bentley’s reported aim for a 200-mph top speed.

Why It Matters: This is the vehicle that’s set to boost Bentley’s sales by 50-to-70 percent, so its effect is going to be enormous. The company’s engineering boss, Rolf Frech, has told us that it could sell as many as 6000 or 7000 examples of its SUV annually once production is fully ramped up. Bentley produced 10,000 cars last year.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-bentley-suv-spy-photos-news

http://bentayga.bentleymotors.com/e...m_medium=cpc&gclid=CLGZopPVnMMCFQYJaQodAQwAxA

Reactions: rockyspaw

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
That damn quilting...looks like diapers. What's so "high class" about that? It's like the Emperor's New Clothes!

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Top speed is impressive. Where's my 200mph Escalade? Kidding.

I never had a problem with the EXP 9F. I do believe that, while a Bentley crossover is probably good for business, it's not good for Bentley... but people are too shallow (or maybe the opposite, but unlikely) to care.

Crossovers are very unstately. Range Rover included. Still, it'll sell well, if that's a measure of value or worth.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts

I never had a problem with the EXP 9F. I do believe that, while a Bentley crossover is probably good for business, it's not good for Bentley... but people are too shallow (or maybe the opposite, but unlikely) to care.

Crossovers are very unstately. Range Rover included. Still, it'll sell well, if that's a measure of value or worth.
It's a matter of interpretation I suppose. I don't think of the Range Rover as a crossover. It's not based on any car platform. It's designed as an SUV from the onset just as a Land Cruiser or Wrangler is. I don't remember following it that much - is it supposed to share a platform with the Q7/Cayenne/Touareg SUVs? IMO it should be a Range Rover sized SUV and not smaller. The EXP 9 Concept looks to be more like a Touareg-sized vehicle. But that's just me. That seems for fitting for the Bentley brand than a midsized vehicle. The same applies to a Maybach or Rolls SUV. Just make sure you make the W-12 an option, VW. :D

·
Registered
19,295 Posts
Being that their cars are approaching the size and weight of an SUV, I'm expecting their actual SUV to be school bus sized and weight ~8,000 lbs. The stinking rich need their people haulers too, they have to drop little Biff and Buffy off at school once a year to look like good parents and need the appropriate vehicle to do it.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts

Range Rover is unstately? Range Rover is for all intents and purposes a Mercedes S-Class competitor/alternative.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Comments are sometimes the best part of the article:

benjamin b.
benjamin b.
Voter Score +3
where is all the people that criticize Cadillac for being too heavy? this car will be almost as heavy, with no where near as much room, and for 3 times the price

Bait83
super userSuper User
Voter Score +15
The next edition of "How much can we actually get people to pay for a VW Toureg"

I think Porsche currently holds the record at $150k. Your move Bentley....

JJCleghorne
Voter Score +7
This and the future Roller SUV will make a nice police cars in Dubai.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts