GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend's visit to Palm Springs brought automotive opportunities. A bentley and a Caddy.

First, I got the privilege of driving my host's Bentley Arnage Red Label. WOWIE! Nothing else like it. The feeling of a huge mass gathering momentum very quickly is sensational, totally unlike anything else I've ever drive, or ridden in (yes, all that mass accelerating rapidly produces a noticibly different sensation even for the passenger). The regal driving position, the view out over the big square hood, can't be duplicated anywhere in the automotive world. The real surprise is how nimble and responsive the car is. Seriously - there's tons of feedback in the steering. It reminds me of driving a Porsche, whose wheel all but dances in your hands. Except, unlike a Porsche, it doesn't feel squirly on rutted roads. With the serious power and sensitive handling, the car is very easy and tempting to drive fast.

All that, and it's gorgeous - in and particularly outside. Reclining back seats! Leather or wood everywhere. The only flaw is the BMW parts-bin ventilation controls. Literally, the only thing I'd change.

(Palm Springs RR/Bentley fact: from what the salewoman at the Bentley/RR/Aston dealership said, Palm Springs accounts for something nearing 10% of world sales of the new Phantom. Through one dealership.)

Second car, a rented Cadillac CTS I put 500 miles on. First new generation Caddy I've driven. It drives BEAUTIFULLY. Really, really nice car to drive. The two 250 mile legs I drove in it were some of the fastest, easiest, most enjoyable highway driving I've done. Ever. Tremendous feel of confidence and security passing semis at 85 at night. Superb engine, the 3.6 - revs like crazy, sounds great, hauls ***. Excellent handling. Comfortable. And this coming from a former 540i owner - I found it comparable, maybe even more enjoyable in some ways (and quite surely superior, price considered). I'd love to drive them back to back. And I'd kill to drive the CTS-V. I'm going to find a way. Even the Bentley's owner liked the CTS, once he actually drove it.

Sole gripe: the dash really needs some classing-up. Seriously needs it. Not bad design - I like the looks. It's the execution. GM shiny plastic lurks everywhere.

Thanks to Wayne & Mike for the Bentley test drive. And Alamo for the Caddy.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
about the cts, today I've seen a couple of old, old guys (probably more than 85 years old!) with a shiny black cts! Who says old guys prefer fwd is dead wrong. old guys who can afford a caddy ALWAYS store the car during the winter, regardless if it's fwd or rwd. and here we have the worst winters...
I felt akward to realize what a nice car to drive they had, while I(31) was with my buick park ave... :unsure:

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Carguy+Apr 22 2004, 04:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Carguy @ Apr 22 2004, 04:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cyboexpo2002@Apr 22 2004, 12:10 AM
BMW parts bin?  Isn't Bentley owned by VW?
Before VW owned them BMW did. [/b][/quote]
Actually, BMW didn't own them, but provided electronic architecture, and drivetrains for botht he Rolls and Bentley versions of what was then a new car. Then the fight broke out between VW and BMW for control of Rolls/Bentley. VW though they'd won, until BMW suddenly turned up with -- for an embarrasingly small price, I might add -- the right to use the Rolls name. No factories, dealer networks, employees or any of that. Just the name, which was fine, given that they were going to design a whole new car anyway. (A new car I finally got to look over in Palm Springs. A very, very impressive BEAST of a gigantor car, I might add.)

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Originally posted by AMcA+Apr 22 2004, 06:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AMcA @ Apr 22 2004, 06:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2004, 04:43 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-cyboexpo2002
@Apr 22 2004, 12:10 AM
BMW parts bin?  Isn't Bentley owned by VW?

Before VW owned them BMW did.
Actually, BMW didn't own them, but provided electronic architecture, and drivetrains for botht he Rolls and Bentley versions of what was then a new car. Then the fight broke out between VW and BMW for control of Rolls/Bentley. VW though they'd won, until BMW suddenly turned up with -- for an embarrasingly small price, I might add -- the right to use the Rolls name. No factories, dealer networks, employees or any of that. Just the name, which was fine, given that they were going to design a whole new car anyway. (A new car I finally got to look over in Palm Springs. A very, very impressive BEAST of a gigantor car, I might add.) [/b][/quote]
YEP I remember now. Its been a wile ya know? :huh: :( :rolleyes: :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts