GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Impala 3.4L Base 123K

My frustration level is high with this car .
I started getting the no start/security light intermittent problem in 07. Only did it every six months or so. Then the radio stayed on once. Then the trunk lid servo would pop out of the blue. Then it started draining the battery if I left the battery connected. Did a lot of research.
Replaced the ignition switch, passlock sensor, and bcm (ac delco) Had bcm flashed at dealer.

Car was fine (although I had lost keyfob ability and alarm settings because the tech left it out when flashing bcm. I didn't go back because I knew more about it than he did) for a year .

Now , I get security light, service engine soon, alternator light and chime every several seconds, and ac compressor cycling. Door locks are sluggish, and dome light "strobes" when it is supposed to go out. Headlights at night will stay on longer when I shut off the car than they normally do. Sometimes coolant fan wouldn't come on in traffic.

Once when it did it . I pulled off the road and unplugged and replugged the three bcm connectors and it stopped for 80 miles and started again.

I took contact cleaner spray (smells like ether) and sprayed the heck out of the three plugs . No difference.

I have read that the female connectors in the plugs can get loose, and cause these issues, Someone also suspected a ground. Looking at the diagram I found a ground that is shared by several bcm connections.

My question is where do I start looking, and if it is a cheesy plug connection, are there parts to fix it or can they be disassembled to slightly crimp the female slides?

Where are the grounds for the bcm connected to?

I have had the car for a long time now and really don't want to replace it due to something like this, but hearing that chime every several seconds has forced me to make up new swear words . Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A friend of mine had extremely similar issues with his 2001 Bonneville. His focus was on the BCM as well (changed many of the same parts you did) but a service shop traced the issue to a wire underneath the air cleaner box was frayed and shorting out. That wire was fixed and the car has been operating flawlessly since.

I'm not saying you have the exact same problem but sometimes electrical issues are caused by the darndest things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I may have found where this issue is coming from .
Through removal of each component mounted on the dash one by one and spraying contact cleaner in plugs and applying dielectric grease , I did the bcm first , then the headlight switch , and the instrument cluster . None of those made any difference .

Then , I pulled the radio .. and THERE WAS THE GROUND I WAS LOOKING FOR behind the radio . No , I'm not 100% sure it wasn't the radio and not the ground , but cleaned and greased the radio plug and removed and cleaned the ground behind it .

Hasn't done it since , but time will tell .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts