GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
The good news is "The Big 3 need a Little reprieve, from Oil's grasp"

Not to go unheaded by them, But they could use a rest.

Pay Attention to the warning's Big Three.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It closed below $94 today. Why is this bad? Because the more it drops, the more difficult it will be to meet our (moral) obligations under the Kyoto Treaty!

On the bright side, this raises the possibility that Congress will be able to raise taxes on oil and gasoline in order to fund our $50,000,000,000 obligation to the United Nations Millennium Fund.
Our moral obligation to the Kyoto treaty is to move past it. We should only support emissions treaties that enforce limits on the fastest growing emitters. Those would be China and India. If not, we only support moving energy intensive production, and the jobs and taxes that come with it, to China and India. China produces a coal plant every week.

We need a new emissions treaty.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The good news is "The Big 3 need a Little reprieve, from Oil's grasp"

Not to go unheaded by them, But they could use a rest.

Pay Attention to the warning's Big Three.
Doubt they're gonna get much rest. This oil price spike came out of nowhere almost, and people are going to remember that. They're going to keep going after high-mpg cars, although maybe it'll relax a little. But it won't be the SUV heyday again, not by a long shot.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
It closed below $94 today. Why is this bad? Because the more it drops, the more difficult it will be to meet our (moral) obligations under the Kyoto Treaty!

On the bright side, this raises the possibility that Congress will be able to raise taxes on oil and gasoline in order to fund our $50,000,000,000 obligation to the United Nations Millennium Fund.
I agree on both points. And the lower the price of oil/gas goes the more we'll be lulled into using.

Also, the success of the Volt would be at risk too and that can't be allowed to happen. For GM's sake of course, they've spent huge sums on it's development. But for all automakers everywhere that will see the Volt, go back to their own drawing boards and refine and improve.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree on both points. And the lower the price of oil/gas goes the more we'll be lulled into using.

Also, the success of the Volt would be at risk too and that can't be allowed to happen. For GM's sake of course, they've spent huge sums on it's development. But for all automakers everywhere that will see the Volt, go back to their own drawing boards and refine and improve.
Americans do not need to be driving around in $40,000 personal vehicles. That investment money should be used to improve public transportation: more buses and trains in the inner city. Stop building highways to suburbs. It destroys the environment. It is going to take a lot of $40,000 Volts to pay for America's $50,000,000,000 commitment to the U.N. Millennium Development Fund.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
...And the lower the price of oil/gas goes the more we'll be lulled into using.

Took the words right out of my mouth, megeebee.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I'd like to use less gas, but I can't. I need to get to school each day, and by God I'm darn well gonna drive my car over that dirty, slow bus. Right now gas is killing poor students like me, it's my 3rd biggest expense behind school costs, rent and insurance and it costs more than I Spend on food in a week!

My next vehicle will be more efficient, but to all those people who are much better at dictating than following their own advice... the cost to trade in my car in this market would require me to buy a smaller car that is older and with more miles than my current vehicle...that makes a whole lot of sense financially. It's all due to the ridiculous demand for all the teensy used cars. They're worth a fortune.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'd like to use less gas, but I can't. I need to get to school each day, and by God I'm darn well gonna drive my car over that dirty, slow bus. Right now gas is killing poor students like me, it's my 3rd biggest expense behind school costs, rent and insurance and it costs more than I Spend on food in a week!

My next vehicle will be more efficient, but to all those people who are much better at dictating than following their own advice... the cost to trade in my car in this market would require me to buy a smaller car that is older and with more miles than my current vehicle...that makes a whole lot of sense financially. It's all due to the ridiculous demand for all the teensy used cars. They're worth a fortune.
Not meaning to single you out but it's not "can't", it's "won't". You choose to drive your car over that dirty, slow bus (you could petition your local authority for cleaner/faster buses!). You choose to retain your current fuel consumptive vehicle over a fuel-miser that costs more money to buy but less to run (again you could petition the appropriate authority to cut sales tax on more efficient vehicles or introduce a gas-hog round-up scheme similar to what some did for smog-monsters).
It's all about choices, something which many people claim an inalienable right to but forget when justifying why they supposedly can't do something.. You may have good reasons to make the choices you do but they're still your choices.

·
Registered
507 Posts

I hear you on all of the above. As a college student, i spend way more on gas then I do on food every week. As much as I would love to trade my '98 Bonneville (in pristine shape and low miles) for a 2009 Cobalt that gets 37 mpg, in reality I would end up having to get a a trashed pos cavalier with 150K on it, not to mention I need the extra backseat space quite often.

On the other hand, the lower gas prices go, the more opportunites I get to take our families G8 out for roadtrips, and there is plenty of room for all my friends in that thing!:drive:

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear you on all of the above. As a college student, i spend way more on gas then I do on food every week. As much as I would love to trade my '98 Bonneville (in pristine shape and low miles) for a 2009 Cobalt that gets 37 mpg, in reality I would end up having to get a a trashed pos cavalier with 150K on it, not to mention I need the extra backseat space quite often.

On the other hand, the lower gas prices go, the more opportunites I get to take our families G8 out for roadtrips, and there is plenty of room for all my friends in that thing!:drive:
When I was in college I lived on campus. When I was in law school, I lived 2 blocks away from it and walked.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Americans do not need to be driving around in $40,000 personal vehicles. That investment money should be used to improve public transportation: more buses and trains in the inner city. Stop building highways to suburbs. It destroys the environment.
This is 100% true. And now that the Highway Trust Fund is broke due to historically low gasoline taxes (in real terms), it's the perfect time to raise the gas tax in order to build more cost efficient mass transportation.

After all, Americans have proven themselves willing to pay whatever price is on the sign, and will therefore gladly fund these improvements to their lifestyle and the environment.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is 100% true. And now that the Highway Trust Fund is broke due to historically low gasoline taxes (in real terms), it's the perfect time to raise the gas tax in order to build more cost efficient mass transportation.

After all, Americans have proven themselves willing to pay whatever price is on the sign, and will therefore gladly fund these improvements to their lifestyle and the environment.
What we need to do is look around the world, and not be so isolated, when it comes to transportation answers.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I am not sure this is really news..more opinion to me.
http://www.financialpost.com/news/story.html?id=856108

Oil could fall to US$50 if global recession hits: Merrill

But the commodity super-cycle is not over

Crude oil prices could sink to US$50 a barrel in the unlikely event that the whole world slumps into a recession, but the commodity super-cycle is not over and crude prices could bounce back to US$150 a barrel as the economy recovers and the cost of money increases, Merrill Lynch commodity strategists said in a report to clients Thursday.

With energy demand expected to slow next year, the brokerage reduced its forecast for average West Texas Intermediate and Brent prices in 2009 to US$90 a barrel, from US$107, and natural gas prices on NYMEX to US$8.50, from US$9 per million British thermal units.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Honestly I want oil to go down a lot...

even 50$ is too much and plenty to subsidize alternative energies...
If oil drops below $50/bl, you can kiss the Western economy of Canada - as well as the rest of Canada - goodbye. The manufacturing center of Ontario and Quebec have been really hard by the US slowdown, but the west keeps chugging along as companies keep drilling in the tar sands. However, that heavy crude is only profitable when the price of oil is something like $60.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts