GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and im kind of jelous!!

My brother got bought a 1993 Saturn SL1 three or four years ago. It lasted him for the last year of highschool and two years of University. However, last summer it had an issue where the engine block cracked which leaked coolant into oil. The repairs were above $2k..we figured my dad would just buy him a new car. However, he okayed the repairs and it's run since then.

Well, the starter motor started to go on the car in the past month or so, we took it to the mechanic and told him to look the car over for anything else thats wrong.

Well heres the list:

- starter motor
- both rear wheel bearings need replacement (i told my brother and mom that this was the problem and that it needed to be replaced but they did nothing about it)
- needs new muffler
- will need new brakes by the end of the month

again, repairs are well above the $2K mark. So my dad gave me a phone call today and told me to start looking around for new cars for my brother. My brother and I looked around and I had told him about the Saturn Astra. We looked at others, such as the fit, the wave ect ect. But we looked at the Saturn Astra, went to the dealership and took one for a test drive. At the end of it my brother was in love. We phoned our dad and my dad is in the process of purchasing him a 5 door Saturn Astra XE in Salsa Red.

Lucky jerk :eek:

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
well above $2K!? Canadian dollars or not that's WAAAYYY steep for a muffler, brake job, starter, and a couple bearings. Your dad, instead of an Astra, should have given your brother a service manual and a few hundred bucks

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well above $2K!? Canadian dollars or not that's WAAAYYY steep for a muffler, brake job, starter, and a couple bearings. Your dad, instead of an Astra, should have given your brother a service manual and a few hundred bucks
that was a little rude if you ask me. $70 an hour labor. Parts dont cost a lot. labor does. The car is a piece of **** anyways.

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
Your Dad seems to be a generous soul.
Don't 'keep score' with your brother.

I am willing to bet your Dad would do the same for you....

I wish I could afford to buy my children new vehicles...

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Unlike the others here, I'm glad my parents DIDN'T buy me a car.

Hope the new Astra works out well and post some pics ASAP.
What why not :eek:

I could be out of my school debt now and saving up for a house. They have tought me plenty on being self relient and smart with money, wait thats because they didnt buy me cars or anything else. So I guess your point is very valid.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its not just replacing brake pads..its replacing calipers, pads and disks. Its not worth dropping 2K into a car that has 230,000km's on it. It's time the car is laid to rest.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Sounds like my story back in 2002. I had a 92 SL2, it developed engine problems, and would cost more to fix than its worth, so I ended up in a new car...except I had to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
its not just replacing brake pads..its replacing calipers, pads and disks. Its not worth dropping 2K into a car that has 230,000km's on it. It's time the car is laid to rest.
Hell yeah!
I can understand fixing a car up but $2K on that many miles?
Not unless you are mechanically sound and can do it yourself.

This is why I spend money to fix things right away and even some preventive.
So I do not end up with a $2K bill. I am just strecthing it out over a period of time in smaller payments. :D
It doesn't 'look' like I am spending that much on the surface...hehe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts