GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know for sure what the future of the aztek is? are there plans to cancel it for sure? is the SV6 supposed to take over from aztek? has it received decent reliability scores?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The SV6 is meant to replace the Montana, not sure how much more life the Aztek has but the replacement for it will be kinda like the Equinox.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
According to Pontiac there are NO plans to cut the Aztek. But, I look for the Aztek to be replaced by a Theta (Equinox) based vehicle. Then about a year after that, a Lambda (sp?) based to REALLY replace the Aztek

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Apr 23 2004, 09:45 AM
a picture says a thousand words ming... but i can't interpret a big red X! wanna describe your pic to me?
Strange, I get it still - must be cached - It's a photo of a junkyard. :p

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Ming+Apr 23 2004, 03:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Apr 23 2004, 03:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-paul8488@Apr 23 2004, 09:45 AM
a picture says a thousand words ming... but i can't interpret a big red X! wanna describe your pic to me?
Strange, I get it still - must be cached - It's a photo of a junkyard. :p [/b][/quote]
oh you're a very bad man. this coming from the guy excited about the uplander cargo version! hahaha! well i laugh at you, azteknically i'm right and you're wrong :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488+Apr 23 2004, 10:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paul8488 @ Apr 23 2004, 10:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 23 2004, 03:11 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-paul8488
@Apr 23 2004, 09:45 AM

Strange, I get it still - must be cached - It's a photo of a junkyard. :p
oh you're a very bad man. this coming from the guy excited about the uplander cargo version! hahaha! well i laugh at you, azteknically i'm right and you're wrong :lol: [/b][/quote]
I was very excited about the Aztek when it came out (I'm still subscribed to Aztek forums), and I actually didn't mind the looks at all - I thought it looked futuristic -- but I was really turned off by the choice of engine.

I know the old 3400 has its supporters, but I didn't think the engine matched the futuristic looks - heck, the thing looked like a Hybrid. (I also didn't like the excessive cladding) It reminded me of the GM ride at Epcot center, where Saturn-like cars are actually run on rails or something...a misleading shell.... I actually might have bought one if the engine had been as innovative, fresh, and techy as the looks. Heck, even a redesigned version of the same engine like the 3500 would have been enough to push me over the edge.

GM's temptation to saddle "all new" vehicles with old lumps of engines is annoying in the extreme, if "frugal" and or "logical" for them.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i don't know enough about engines for that to be the decision maker for me, so i'd buy one. i saw a great deal on a used 2002 with versatrak... they're pricey new, and depreciate damn quickly (more because no one wants them, i think, as they seem to have a decent reputation aside from looks). but for guys like you who are more knowledgeable and interested in what kinda engine goes into it, i can see that it's a disappointment.

it coulda been a technological showcase for pontiac... as far as i know it was one of the earliest GM models with AWD and side impact airbags, it's got HUD and onstar, heated seats, some decent sound system choices... a trick engine and 5-speed auto trans mighta gone far to distance it from the competition.

though for the prices they're asking i'd expect all that stuff already! i think the aztek shoulda been split into two camps: pretty basic (few pricey options) for young guys like me who'd love a low-20's buggy like that, and loaded to the gills (throw in the aforementioned goodies along with ETC, stabilitrack, maybe dual sunroofs and a quadrasteer-type system) to make it appeal to the technophiles with some money to spare (somewhere just above 40 grand). as it is the versions they offer are north of basic and south of tech-advanced, but with pricing approaching the high end. it's almost 'pacifica syndrome'... pricing the vehicle into a higher market than the vehicle lends itself to.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I would consider buying one used - the depreciation, as you note - is steep, and good for a used buyer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts