·
Registered
571 Posts
.....blah. not doing anything for me ;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sorry, no cigar.

It looks like that nasty Subaru concept from a few months back.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
nope, no way. Its retro, and its not even the right retro. It looks like a retro first gen with a GTO nose.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
*throws a rock @ it*

·
Registered
954 Posts
I dont get it, a lot of you guys dont like the 04 got because it isnt retro, then someone posts a retro concept of the 07 gto and you guys dont like that either, wtf do you guys want??? :unsure: :wacko: :blink:

·
Registered
475 Posts
THE PROBLEM ISN'T RETRO STYLING!

The new GTO just has no personality, flavor. It's like british food.

"Cool Styling" wasn't something unique to the 60's and 70's. It's possible to do today, the last T/A's had it, the Viper has it, Ferrari's have it, the new Caddies have it (CTS, CTS-V, XLR, etc), the Grand Prix has it, etc.

*gasp* Yes, I mean something that stands out from the crowd without being retro... it is possible!

When I checked out the GTO at the gas station, I had to look twice because at first I took it for an older Grand Prix.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I agree with odin

day 1 of new GTO: ITS NOT RETRO BOOHOOO IT SUCKS WAAAAHHHHH

Day 2, redisgn to make look retro: ITS TO RETRO BOOHOO IT SUCKS WAAAAHHHHH

you peopple don't know wat the hell you want, its not retro enough its to retro. Its not agressive enough its to agressive. Its boring, its gawdy. One might as well ry to design a car for a bunch fo squabling hens.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I wouldn't call this design retro, by any means. It does contain some cues from the old, that doesn't make it Retro to me. Now the Mustang looks damn near the same(IMO) as the original. Like they just remade it using newer technology. This doesn't look like a modern reproduction of the GTO to me. It looks like a completely different design using the same cues (grill and light structure) much like an XLR has the same cues as an Esc. or CTS but they are not the same. Maybe not the best way to explain it but thats my opinion.

That said, I am not sure I would want to see the next one look like this but it may look better in real life(toned down a bit).

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
GM would love to read the comments on this thread. People are very passionate about the GTO and care a great deal about how it looks. When I first looked at the pics from R&T I thought YUCK what are they thinking. Then as I read the comments and looked again my mind changed. It would be great if GM switched the headlamps to a veritical design from the 04 horizontal set-up. The new Caddy's look great and have the vertical look as do many other current designs from other companies and the look is not retro.
I have to give credit where it is due T/A Freak is correct the GTO can not be too aggressive.
One thing everyone needs to keep in mind is artistic concepts tend to be much more cartoonish, or exagerated than reality so if any of the renderings from R&T are going to be the next GTO Pontiac or rather Lutz is on the right track.
The first GTO in 64 was snuck into production and was tame compared to what followed but is still a good looking car. The 04 was rushed into production we can only hope history repeats itself, aggressive and unique designs that other will copy but not duplicate.
As for comparisons with the next Mustang and retro styling. J Mays is not a designer but rather someone who reproduces copies of what Ford and VW used to build. Nice work if you can get it but not very exciting or innovative. I am very happy he is at Ford and not GM. Keep it up Lutz.

·
Registered
750 Posts
the its too agressive was a comparison to this new sketch of the GTO where everyone says its to over the top.

TAFREAK your mistaking what you think is good and what is fact. Your comment suggest that there is a difference between good/bad styleing and retro styling. good/bad is an opinion and can be rendered to anything no matter what type of styling it is. Get over the fact that your car has a sucsessor...oh wait I forgot your the closet GTO lover. Thats right...go ...love it....we all know you do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I actually like the side view but they always draw a car with 24" rims (to scale) and 0 aspect ratio tires. But that front, ugh! Now where have I seen that before?

Not exactly ground breaking. If this is truly 2007 let's get going on some 'real' styling. It's not like the 2004 GTO where we had 18 months from idea to customer. Certainly we can do better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts