GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
This is quite an eye opener -- I didn't expect to see Chevy and Lotus(!) so high up the list.

It could be argued that what's really important is the weighted average (average fuel economy for each model times the sales of that model), which I think would make Chevy look worse. HOWEVER, this shows that Chevy does offer fuel efficient options... if people choose to buy the ones that aren't -- it's hard to fault the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Quinn, please do not post just a link. Post an exerpt from the article as well, or very few people will even bother. And that's a shame, because it's a good find.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
OK, I have yet to analyze the whole text.......but is anyone else troubled by the fact this article claims the Mini makes 12 different cars? Really?

At best, there's 8! but that's really pushing it. That's differentiating between:
-Mini hardtop
-Mini convertible
-Mini S hardtop
-Mini S convertible
-Mini Clubman
-Mini Clubman S
-Mini Cooper Works
-Mini Cooper Works Clubman

Where did the extra 4 cars come from? Mini is still #1, but if I found a screw up detail like that in minutes.....with a hour or so, I'll find more errors.

EDIT: I think I have figured it out. They also break it down by manual transmission, and AT.......and probably didn't count the John Cooper versions....that makes 12.

p.s. This is AWESOME news for Chevrolet!

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
How in the hell do they get 88 models for Chevrolet?
Monte Carlo is dead. Malibu Classic is dead (right?). Malibu Maxx is dead. Trailblazer extended length is dead.

Cobalt, Cobalt coupe, Aveo hatch, Aveo sedan, Malibu, Impala, Corvette, Corvette convertible, Uplander, Trailblazer, Equinox, Traverse, Tahoe, Suburban... and all the configurations of the Colorado and Silverado. What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Monte Carlo is dead. Malibu Classic is dead (right?). Malibu Maxx is dead. Trailblazer extended length is dead.

Cobalt, Cobalt coupe, Aveo hatch, Aveo sedan, Malibu, Impala, Corvette, Corvette convertible, Uplander, Trailblazer, Equinox, Traverse, Tahoe, Suburban... and all the configurations of the Colorado and Silverado. What am I missing?

If you think thats bad... apparently GMC has 69 vehicles! More than Toyota!

5,934 Posts
Boy, in this age of higher gas prices, wouldn't it be nice if CNN or MSNBC.com would pick up this story and post it on their mainpage? Umm, to educate the public, you know.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
this is all nice and well, but this is NOT average FE - since it is not sales/weighted.... there have been data published that show similar information, but in a MUCH more respectable manner

Just averaging the EPA MPG rating over the models is useless - I can release six 1.1l I4 diesel hybrid Plug in version of all my models (manual/auto4/auto6 FWD/AWD) which no one buys, and I will ROCK that "survey" - because for say 6 regular "models" of each model, I Will have these 6 fake ones with some astonishing 60mpg rating.

Igor

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

Perhaps they are including trim levels?

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
It's not trim levels per se....It's engine choices, convertibles, 2wd vs. 4wd, manual vs. AT, hell I believe they are counting the 1/2 ton trucks by cab and bed configurations too to get 88! I didn't count Chevy's yet, but I did count Honda, and I got 27! ;)

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Kinda cool.. maybe chevy should put this on tv!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
this is all nice and well, but this is NOT average FE - since it is not sales/weighted.... there have been data published that show similar information, but in a MUCH more respectable manner

Just averaging the EPA MPG rating over the models is useless - I can release six 1.1l I4 diesel hybrid Plug in version of all my models (manual/auto4/auto6 FWD/AWD) which no one buys, and I will ROCK that "survey" - because for say 6 regular "models" of each model, I Will have these 6 fake ones with some astonishing 60mpg rating.

Igor
Yes, but you would have those efficient options available to the customer then, right? Whether they choose to buy those or your more fuel thirsty vehicles is still the customers' decision. Toyota has several thirsty models too. Just because they don't sell as well as the competition doesn't mean Toyota is better for fuel economy, just that the public prefers the more fuel efficient Toyotas more..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts