GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The average age for an Aveo owner must be over 60
The only peopleI see driving them are little old ladies.
Is just area I live in or do other people see this?
I be scared to death to drive one on the highway

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by airbalancer@Apr 4 2004, 06:56 PM
The average age for an Aveo owner must be over 60
The only peopleI see driving them are little old ladies.
Is just area I live in or do other people see this?
I be scared to death to drive one on the highway
Scared of motorcycles, too?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
General Motors Corp.'s Aveo economy sedan won top marks in the latest round of U.S. government frontal crash tests.
this is from another thread... and while some say this testing is BS, i'd be much more comfortable is a 5-star crash test car than a 2-star. engineering over bulk any day, thanks.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
the crash tests means nothing in real life, when you drive the subcompact on the same road with silverados and other trucks!

Also, 5 star for a subcompact aren't the same with 5 star for a large sedan. To put it in simple words, when you crash your 1600lbs car into a 3200 one you will have twice the dammage...

Personally, I think that this car is good only for pizza delivery. There is no reason on earth for someone to expose himself like that in that junker.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@Apr 5 2004, 03:55 PM
Also, 5 star for a subcompact aren't the same with 5 star for a large sedan. To put it in simple words, when you crash your 1600lbs car into a 3200 one you will have twice the dammage...
is that true? i always assumed 5 star meant 5 star. it should. THAT would be a useful comparison. if they are different scales then no, they don't mean much. i still don't jump on the 'bigger is better' philosophy though. some of the old detroit iron was pretty bulky... but the massive 10 foot long front hood was great as it was rammed through the windshield and decapitated the car (and passengers). or take the big sturdy steering column... fine, until it's rammed through your chest and into the seat back. give me a volvo with its safety cage and smart airbags over a silverado. head-on with a semi? we're both dead. but in most other types of accidents the volvo is where i wanna be.

and yeah, aveo is pretty damn tiny, but it's good to know that they put a little bit of thought into them to make sure they crumple as well-controlled as possible.

(i just reread what you said... and that 1600 vs 3200 = double the damage isn't true. a well engineered 1600 lbs can match a poorly engineered 3200 lbs any day.)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@Apr 5 2004, 10:55 AM

Also, 5 star for a subcompact aren't the same with 5 star for a large sedan.
This part is true. There are different ratings for different class vehicles.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Apr 5 2004, 05:13 PM
(i just reread what you said... and that 1600 vs 3200 = double the damage isn't true. a well engineered 1600 lbs can match a poorly engineered 3200 lbs any day.)
well, a park avenue is even heavier I think, and for sure is not poorly engineered.

as a conclusion, like you said about the volvo, I prefer to be in a large domestic car (I can afford) instead of something smaller when $hit hits the fan.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But back to the topic of age.
All the TV spots are marketed to a young age bracket.
My 4 children are in their early 20s, (21-24) they said the car is ugly and would not be caught dead in one. They have had sunfires and cavls.
I do not think I have seen a young person in one of these cars , have you?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
This topic should be in The Asylum

·
Registered
922 Posts
Are Volvos really as good as they used to be? Seems like in the more recent IIHS tests they didnt get the best grades. As for the Aveo, in my area there are kids and 40 yr old women behind the wheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I just wanted to say that i have not seen one elderly person in a Aveo, I just purchased one last month, I am 21 and i love the car,it fits my personality to the tee. It is bright yellow and i have magnetic butterflys on it, i have made it perfect for a 21 yr old female to drive, ohhh yeah did i mention that i love the aveo

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have not seen one old person in an aveo. Old people want cadillacs and impalas, not little commuter cars. Most of the people I have seen in them are teenagers or early 20s similar to the people that drive Hyundai Accents. I would also rather have a Cav or even a Neon before an Aveo. The Aveo is the cheapest, most underpowered Chevy at the moment, at least with the Cavs, SOME thought was put into power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my Aveo for a month and I love it. Yes I am female, but I am not over 60 (only 40). My sons, both in their teens hated the car until they got in it. My youngest 15 is over 6 feet and loves the room in the car, since he has to slouch in the back seat of most cars. The handling is good, the aceleration could be better, but overall it is a great little commuter car and perfect for city driving. The split/tumble seats are great for trips where you have to pack a lot of baggage. The only thing I would change is it does not come with cruise control as an option, which would be a definate added plus. :bounce:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
One of my coworkers bought one. He is about 40. He has an hour drive to work, so he was looking for an American car (it is technically a GM) that gets good gas mileage.

Old people who buy the Aveo are ones who want a new car but can't afford or don't want to pay the money for a Caddy. If you look you should see a fair amount in other economy cars.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I have not seen any old people driving Aveo's around here, actually most are college students and young, single people...

Old people around here mostly buy Malibus ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts