GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noah Joseph RSS feed Google+

Posted Oct 5th 2014 7:07PM

Between Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti, the Volkswagen Group has no lack of prestige marques under its umbrella. And while some of these marques may produce models that compete against each other, each seems to be profitable enough in its own right to justify its existence. But what about Bentley and Bugatti? Surely these marques cater to the same customers, right?

Not according to their shared CEO. "The clientele between Bentley and Bugatti is remarkably different," said Wolfgang Dürheimer in an interview with Bloomberg. "The Bentley customer on average owns 8 cars. The average Bugatti customer has about 84 cars, 3 jets and 1 yacht."

That may be a slight exaggeration (we'd have expected three yachts and one jet), but it puts things into perspective: Bentleys are for the one percent. Bugattis are for the one percent of that one percent. Which only goes to show why it's taken Bugatti over eight years to sell 450 Veyrons – a number of units it would take Bentley about two weeks to move, albeit at about one tenth the price.

With only about 20 units left to go, the Veyron is about to roar off into the sunset, after which Bugatti will introduce its replacement sometime late next year or early in 2016. The Alsatian marque is reportedly working on three different versions, and the final design – thanks in no small part to a hybrid assist – is expected too pack some 25 percent more power than the 8.0-liter quad-turbo W16 in the current Veyron, which produces 987 horsepower in standard form and 1,184 hp in the Super Sport and Vitesse models

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/05/average-bugatti-owner-84-cars-3-jets-1-yacht-report/

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
LOL Audi prestigious they are full of low rent mass produced Skoda parts what a joke.

Would not buy a car from any of the above companies, next post please.

Warren Buffet used to drive an ole Lincoln Town cars for nearly ever what the point?

He now owns a Caddy

Reactions: F14CRAZY

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
What he is saying is most of their customers are oil Sheiks...........
But what about Bentley and Bugatti? Surely these marques cater to the same customers, right?

Not according to their shared CEO. "The clientele between Bentley and Bugatti is remarkably different," said Wolfgang Dürheimer in an interview with Bloomberg. "The Bentley customer" on average owns 8 cars. The average Bugatti customer has about 84 cars, 3 jets and 1 yacht."

Nothing at all to do with mass produced Audi then, that are basically an expensive overpriced mass produced low rent Skoda.

Audi use a set of standardized components such as axles, steering columns and chassis. Sharing parts across brands such as VW, Skoda and Seat may lower costs by 5 billion euros ($6.5 billion) a year, it risks a repeat of recalls that hobbled Toyota Motor Corp.

If something goes wrong, then Audi may get hit by an epidemic Toyota type recall plague,” “The more connected the Audi structures are, the higher the threat of contagion from low rent Skoda parts.”

I think l prefer the understated down to earth Skoda owner, to a pretentious a big headed Audi owners who seem to have their head stuck up their own arse & full of their own self importance, both are basically the same mass produced car using share the same components.

Fixed it for you.
Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti, the Volkswagen Group has no lack of prestige marques under its umbrella. And while some of these marques may produce models that compete against each other, each seems to be profitable enough in its own right to justify its existence. But what about Bentley and Bugatti? Surely these marques cater to the same customers, right?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not one of the Bugatti owners our we see in Miami has 84 cars......they lease their Bugatti. But they probably do own a "boat" or lease a private aircraft.............
Well one Fighter Jet
one Gulf stream when you travel without your harem...
one A330 or above for the Full harem......

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
No, three jets sounds about right...

You can't get into smaller airports with your Boeing BBJ so you also need a regional sized private jet on each continent you frequent your homes in remote locations. I was just saying that the other day as I was alighting the Bombardier BD-700, that we use for long hops, and was transferring into our little Citation we can land on our island strip.... :D

;)

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
LOL Audi prestigious they are full of low rent mass produced Skoda parts what a joke.

Would not buy a car from any of the above companies, next post please.

Warren Buffet used to drive an ole Lincoln Town cars for nearly ever what the point?

He now owns a Caddy
Actually, Skodas are full of Audi parts. My sister's Golf TDI has the same wonderful feeling turn signal (feels strong, nice positive action - couldn't be better) that's in my A8. And that's a good thing, for both of us.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I'm still fascinated as to what VW is up to with Bugatti. The Veyron program has doubtless lost buckets of money (450 cars, even at $2m each is only $900m - VW can't develop a whole new high performance car full of bespoke parts, much less build 450 of 'em, for $900m). Id' understand it all if they brought out some other bugattis that traded on the fab name the Veyron has built. But they haven't. And they seem to have no plans but to build anything but another money losing Veyron. I remain baffled.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'm still fascinated as to what VW is up to with Bugatti. The Veyron program has doubtless lost buckets of money (450 cars, even at $2m each is only $900m - VW can't develop a whole new high performance car full of bespoke parts, much less build 450 of 'em, for $900m). Id' understand it all if they brought out some other bugattis that traded on the fab name the Veyron has built. But they haven't. And they seem to have no plans but to build anything but another money losing Veyron. I remain baffled.
Holden did the entire Zeta program for $1 billion AUD.

Camaro probably cost about $500 million since the Statesman/Caprice cost $250 million.

It's entirely possible, and in fact extremely probable that VW at the very least broke even on the Veyron, and I suspect scratched out a small profit if they pulled just a hair under a billion total so far.

Aluminum, Steel, Plastic, and leather cost the same per pound regardless if it goes into a Veyron or a Malibu. Much of a Veyron is handmade, so there wasn't heaps of expensive assembly line machinery that needed to be bought (low production vehicles, it's far cheaper to have people make them instead of machines). So material and assembly isn't as costly as you'd think.

Knowing how much it cost Metalcrafters in Orange county to make a concept car from scratch, I'd imagine if you streamlined the process and got some basic machinery to help with assembly, I wouldn't be surprised if a Veyron cost less than a quarter million to build....... that would leave a nice tidy $1.5 million profit on each car divided somehow (my random guess is 2 to 1 in favor of V-Dub) between the dealer and VW (or about 450 mil to date).

No one's commented on development costs, but I'd very seriously doubt VW spent more than half a billion (even it's "W" engine is a VW 6 banger engine, but with extra cylinders and on steroids http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W16_engine ), which would make the Veyron pretty much break even by now.

Worse case scenario: mild financial loss....but the technology breakthroughs that'd filter out of it would likely more than make up for it.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
How many choppers and jet skis do they have?

·
Registered
525 Posts
How many choppers and jet skis do they have?
Hah, "Get to the Chopppperrr!"

Seriously though why even bother writing this article. Must have been a slow news day.

In other News
Experts assert that average Escalade buyer has been acquitted for 1 murder and 3 drug trafficking cases, they also have bad taste in rims/wheel selection and do not own a single home.

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts

You can't get into smaller airports with your Boeing BBJ so you also need a regional sized private jet on each continent you frequent your homes in remote locations. I was just saying that the other day as I was alighting the Bombardier BD-700, that we use for long hops, and was transferring into our little Citation we can land on our island strip.... :D

;)
Glad you've got such flexibility in your travel arrangements, Monaro!

BTW, could you float me five bucks til Friday? :cool:

Hah, "Get to the Chopppperrr!"

Seriously though why even bother writing this article. Must have been a slow news day.

In other News
Experts assert that average Escalade buyer has been acquitted for 1 murder and 3 drug trafficking cases, they also have bad taste in rims/wheel selection and do not own a single home.
In YET OTHER NEWS, the typical Escalade buyer (and Tahoe and Burban etc. etc.) also has a 95% chance of one front running light being out, 95% of the time. :eek:

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Holden did the entire Zeta program for $1 billion AUD.

Camaro probably cost about $500 million since the Statesman/Caprice cost $250 million.

It's entirely possible, and in fact extremely probable that VW at the very least broke even on the Veyron, and I suspect scratched out a small profit if they pulled just a hair under a billion total so far.

Aluminum, Steel, Plastic, and leather cost the same per pound regardless if it goes into a Veyron or a Malibu. Much of a Veyron is handmade, so there wasn't heaps of expensive assembly line machinery that needed to be bought (low production vehicles, it's far cheaper to have people make them instead of machines). So material and assembly isn't as costly as you'd think.

Knowing how much it cost Metalcrafters in Orange county to make a concept car from scratch, I'd imagine if you streamlined the process and got some basic machinery to help with assembly, I wouldn't be surprised if a Veyron cost less than a quarter million to build....... that would leave a nice tidy $1.5 million profit on each car divided somehow (my random guess is 2 to 1 in favor of V-Dub) between the dealer and VW (or about 450 mil to date).

No one's commented on development costs, but I'd very seriously doubt VW spent more than half a billion (even it's "W" engine is a VW 6 banger engine, but with extra cylinders and on steroids http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W16_engine ), which would make the Veyron pretty much break even by now.

Worse case scenario: mild financial loss....but the technology breakthroughs that'd filter out of it would likely more than make up for it.

Hmmm....... other estimates differ - radically.

Some of the factory defense is that is 'hard to calculate the value of the program'....... and represents in a net sense or is comparable roughly, to the numbers involved in a F1 effort.

Meanwhile -

Meet the ( current ? ) #1 salesperson - with eleven within a year's time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...man-sells-11-Veyrons-worth-13m-just-year.html

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Nothing at all to do with mass produced Audi then, that are basically an expensive overpriced mass produced low rent Skoda...
You have a fine collection of records, it's just unfortunate that they're all broken...

People who buy Audi's either don't know or don't care that they are 'recycled Skodas' (which they aren't). But keep fighting the good fight...

(Oh, and just to fan the flames, did you know that Audis are FRONT WHEEL DRIVE?????????)

·
Registered
9,570 Posts

;)
hay thanks for buying Canadian (-: them Bombardiers are nice

1 - 20 of 28 Posts