GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soup, just wondering if anyone has any idea whether it's possible to get the oil life monitoring upgrade they introduced in 2008 for a small charge from GM in an 07 Aveo (Wave, actually), as well as whether or not you can replace the stereo unit with another official GM one, preferably the new USB ones (I'm doubtful about this one, but there's no arm in asking.)

Thanks.

Oh - if my engine were to let me down under the warranty period, would they actually replace it with another E-TEC II or the new Ecotec? This one's out of curiosity more than anything else.

·
Registered
903 Posts
So he asked a question about his Aveo and the best answer you could give was a video of an Aveo vs Olds Aurora race? And suggesting he gets rid of his car...real nice.

Anyway, to answer the OPs question: I don't know for sure about the first question but I would say it would be more trouble than it is worth, and all the information that is collected for the OLM, such as the RPMs, number of starts, temp, etc. may not even be collected.

As for the second question, if th engine were to go out for some reason, they would replace it with another ETEC. To put in any other engine would require many modifications to the car (PCM, mounts, fuel line, all the electrical harnesses, etc.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Chevy Aveo5 is a darn nice car and does everything it's buyers will ask it to do. All of the reviews I have read said it has the nicest ride of any B-segment offering. Plus it allows GM to get 1st time car buyers into their showroom and hopefully after buying the AVeo they will come back and purchase another vehicle in a higher price-point. So to say, "Dump the car" would be unduely pragmatic on the part of GM.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best ride? wtf

I test drove all B-segment cars and let me tell you, that's rubbish.

It is versatile, yes, disregarding the fact that storage solutions are lacking in comparaison to its direct competitor, the Yaris.

It does allow first time car buyers to get into GM's showrooms, but the problem is, as surveys indicate, nobody would repurchase the car, the reason behind this are numerous and different, but the fact remains.

Concerning quality, I've had a number of issues with mine, but the interior, design wise is number one among compacts in terms of appeal and ergonomics (not everyone likes space-age designs, à-la Fit).

Anyhow, the ETEC I had assumed, unless they run out of spare engines I'm guessing it's definitive, but whatever.

But you didn't address the oil life monitor question. Oil life is always a big concern in my case, I've been going past recommended mileage several times out of pure assumption that I'm easy with the car, therefore it doesn't need as many oil changes as indicated. My mileage figures not being affected I guess that I'm right, as (near) lifeless oil means higher consumption, but I'd like to be sure.

If you can't answer my question I'm getting my winter rims and tires installed tomorrow, so I'll just ask them instead.

Oh - as far as I know the head unit in the Aveo (until OnStar came along, now I don't know if it's still the case) doesn't house the OLM, unlike other GM vehicles such as the Cobalt and Malibu.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Best ride? wtf

It is versatile, yes, disregarding the fact that storage solutions are lacking in comparaison to its direct competitor, the Yaris.

It does allow first time car buyers to get into GM's showrooms, but the problem is, as surveys indicate, nobody would repurchase the car, the reason behind this are numerous and different, but the fact remains.

Concerning quality, I've had a number of issues with mine, but the interior, design wise is number one among compacts in terms of appeal and ergonomics (not everyone likes space-age designs, à-la Fit).

Anyhow, the ETEC I had assumed, unless they run out of spare engines I'm guessing it's definitive, but whatever.

But you didn't address the oil life monitor question. Oil life is always a big concern in my case, I've been going past recommended mileage several times out of pure assumption that I'm easy with the car, therefore it doesn't need as many oil changes as indicated. My mileage figures not being affected I guess that I'm right, as (near) lifeless oil means higher consumption, but I'd like to be sure.

If you can't answer my question I'm getting my winter rims and tires installed tomorrow, so I'll just ask them instead.

Oh - as far as I know the head unit in the Aveo (until OnStar came along, now I don't know if it's still the case) doesn't house the OLM, unlike other GM vehicles such as the Cobalt and Malibu.
If you drive your car like a Taxi, change the oil every 3 months. If not, every 5K miles. Yep, resale value stink on the car but who cares if you are like me and keep it for 11 years.

P.S. What does WTF stand for? Could you please be so kind as to explain to me, or the post moderator what those letters stand for??

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Best ride? wtf

What do you mean being easy with the car? If you cruise at 100 km/h on the highway for hours at a time then yes that is easy, but if you only drive short trips in city streets that is very hard... so how is that new piece of the 50 they opened? :D

Having said that you could probably go double or more the recommended interval anyway without major issues cropping up. BUT IF THEY DO GM isn't going to pay under warranty ;)

I guess it matters how long you want to keep the car... another year don't bother changing but if you want it for another ten, well go buy some oil :D

The Yaris might have more cubbyholes but it costs like 13, 14 thousand dollars and an Aveo is only 10... That said the new Nissan Versa they have in the USA for 9990 basically kicks ass everywhere

Dirty engine oil shouldn't show up in higher fuel consumption... the problem with leaving the oil too long is that it forms a kind of sludge that can block the passageways in the engine that allow the oil to flow. Eventually they can get restricted and the flow of oil slows or stops to certain areas, starving the engine of oil which will make it wear out rapidly. It is kind of like cholesterol in your body if you eat too much fat you might get a heart attack ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
P.S. What does WTF stand for? Could you please be so kind as to explain to me, or the post moderator what those letters stand for??
it meand What The Fu*ck

and the aveo is a nice little car. my cusion has a 2008 and they like it. i have been seeing alot of the new hatch ones on the roads now. but for your question i dont think you can.

·
Registered
669 Posts
None of you are answering my primary question.
no one knows
there's no such thing as an aveo enthusiast community

In Chrysler Land, adding EVIC (chrysler version of dic) requires the proper gauge part number, and some hacking of the PCM done by the dealer with the starscan tool. Not easy to do but reasonably successful.

No clue about aveo.

As for etec to ecotec..

NO.

New motor has different wiring harness, control modules and sensors, not to mention probably different cooling and fuel delivery. And transaxle. and attachment points. and exhaust config. and ehat shields.

the list goes on.

If you fry the etec motor, you're getting another one of the same

Again in Chrysler Land, upgrading a V6 car to a Hemi costs 6500 bucks. Most of that is for labor, as the parts by themselves are not that expensive when you trade in the existing drivetrain.

Not worth it.

BUY ANOTHER CAR. Newer aveo? Versa? or whatever else if you want more power.

gb2/myspace

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New motor has different wiring harness, control modules and sensors, not to mention probably different cooling and fuel delivery. And transaxle. and attachment points. and exhaust config. and ehat shields.
If you fry the etec motor, you're getting another one of the same
I was thinking that too, I mean, they do make a buttload of surplus parts anyway. I don't think the 1.6 Ecotec is THAT different from my powertrain though. From my understanding, it's simply a aluminum cast (as opposed to the current steel cast I have) version of it with variable valve timing as an added bonus.

Regardless, kill yourself :)D), I wasn't intending to fry my engine and I'm going to live with ****ty choice for as long as I need to, that is, probably until my sister picks it up. It's proven to be mechanically reliable and somewhat efficient (I get more out of a Yaris, but the thing costs more in maintenance and simply to lease too, plus soundproofing is bellow that of the T250... ).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts