GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

By THE EDITORS OF AUTOWEEK

MANDEL: I was taken with the extent to which GM engineers have moved this car from a wannabe to one that has performance and some very real performance cues. Does it also include gimmicks? Yeah: The head-up display hasn’t proven to be one of those “gotta have” gizmos. But the power from Pontiac’s venerable supercharged 3800 is not to be questioned.

Full article here

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by MCGARRETT@Dec 1 2003, 05:00 PM
Well actually...that transmission, the 5L40E, is used in the CTS, SRX, XLR and in the next gen Seville/STS
APPLICATIONS
BMW 3-Series
BMW 3-Series Sedan and Wagon
BMW 3-Series All Wheel Drive
BMW 5-Series
BMW X5 Sport Utility
BMW Z3 Roadster
Cadillac CTS
OPEL Omega
ROVER Range Rover

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
The five spd tranny is great. I know a BMW 5 series owner who didn't believe me when I explained the tranny is a GM product. His reaction was shocked to disbelief.
GM can build exceptional products. I just can't wait for this transmission to filter out to more GM products.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
ahh.. you guys do know that the auto trans was invented and therefore the patent belongs to GM right? Its funny that people dont belive that an American product can be in a european car. They need to make the trans a bit stronger to hold the torque of the Gen IV v-8's. 5L60 and 5L80 needs to be produced!!!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
But I never heard of Land Rover using a GM tranny

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
For Cadillacs, I know that it's used in the CTS, and SRX, and most likley in the next Seville, but not in the XLR, I was wrong before, the XLR does have a 5 speed automatic, probably based off the 5L40-E, but the setup is different due to the transaxle setup on the XLR.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Land Rover has used a GM v8 as well......

Got this from AUTO WEEK..... ROVER'S ALUMINUM V8 is going out of production!

According to The Rover V8 Engine by David Hardcastle, a Rover official spotted an unused Buick V8 engine at a boat engine factory while visiting the United States in 1966 and learned that the engine was out of production. That year, Rover struck a deal with GM. Rover bought the blueprints and all the production tooling for an undisclosed sum and began producing the engines in England.

Check AUTOWEEK.COM for the full article, the buick v6 of the 60s was based on this engine, now known as the 3800 series III.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saw my 1st non m-plated GTO yesterday at a Costco near Detroit. Looks just as plain in real life as it does in the mags. :flush:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tails,

It just never stops. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by swoop@Dec 2 2003, 06:12 AM
Land Rover has used a GM v8 as well......

Got this from AUTO WEEK..... ROVER'S ALUMINUM V8 is going out of production!

According to The Rover V8 Engine by David Hardcastle, a Rover official spotted an unused Buick V8 engine at a boat engine factory while visiting the United States in 1966 and learned that the engine was out of production. That year, Rover struck a deal with GM. Rover bought the blueprints and all the production tooling for an undisclosed sum and began producing the engines in England.

Check AUTOWEEK.COM for the full article, the buick v6 of the 60s was based on this engine, now known as the 3800 series III.
Yes, but remember that Rover and Land Rover are not the same company ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Originally posted by TAFreak@Dec 9 2003, 05:09 AM
Personally, I think it's worse because in real life you notice how close it is to a Neon in size... :(
I think it looks pretty good. It will get better as the years go on, this is it's first year, they can use their mistakes to improve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts