GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pontiac won’t apologize for the fact that this car doesn’t look, feel or perform like the car for which it was named. It has a V8, sure, but it doesn’t even come from the same continent. So to all of you looking to the resurrected GTO as the second coming of a sacred old nameplate, too bad. This ain’t your daddy’s GTO, and no, it doesn’t have a hood scoop, not even of the sticker variety with which Pontiac jokingly threatened us. You’re better off picking up any one of a thousand 30-year-old models still spewing fumes around the back roads of this great nation and being done with it. But keep this in mind as you grip that skinny steering wheel, slide around in that seat and lumber around the turns: The new GTO bests that old beast in every noteworthy way. Except one, that is.

Man, that old goat looked good.

The 2004 model, hmmm, not so much. We—and many of you, we’ve heard—find the GTO’s exterior styling utterly forgettable, if not exactly ugly, and hardly reminiscent of its namesake. Pontiac says that’s intentional. Rather than designing a “retro” car, Pontiac says it likes to think that, had it not killed the GTO after the 1974 model year, the Goat would have evolved to look much like this car today. (Kind of convenient, then, that the General already had a car exactly like it hiding out Down Under.)

Full Review HERE

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by nsap@Nov 10 2003, 07:50 PM
I was happy with the conclusion to all of the GTO reviews, witht the exception of Car and Drivers.. <_<
Car & Driver's Review was what I expected from them, they complained because stuff fell off :ph34r: ? What'd you expect? I can't wait to see the review on t.v. :D

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacJ8+Nov 10 2003, 07:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PontiacJ8 @ Nov 10 2003, 07:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nsap@Nov 10 2003, 07:50 PM
I was happy with the conclusion to all of the GTO reviews, witht the exception of Car and Drivers.. <_<
Car & Driver's Review was what I expected from them, they complained because stuff fell off :ph34r: ? What'd you expect? I can't wait to see the review on t.v. :D [/b][/quote]
I also knew taht C&D would nit-pick-it to death!

·
Registered
387 Posts
c and D always nitpics domestics to death
even when the SRx won their compettion they stil wouldnt admit that it was the best car in the article part and they did not point out too many of the good parts only the parts they did not liek

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Nov 10 2003, 08:37 PM
Yeah, They are waaaaaaaaaaay too baised...
That's what happens when your staff is made up of people who drive BMWs, Accords, Camrys, and MINIs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
236 Posts
That's why I have a subscription to Motortrend--the worst thing they did in their review was to compare the GTO to a Cobra. Not exactly a fair comparison, but its better than nitpicking!

·
Registered
708 Posts
MotorTrend really pissed me off lately
with their import bias over domestics.
But I will not go off on a tangent. :)

I think the new GTO is awesome looking.
Very clean and simple lines. And the LS1.
I am glad Pontiac did not try to give this
car more "flash" than the competition, as
that would have really made an ugly car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i thought they were going to sell HSV-style body kits for the new goat. We already have a GTO in australia (its more powerful too :p ). Anyway for those that think the GTO is too plain jane, here is the aussie HSV GTO:

and pass the word to the designers to stop trying to put crap on the bonnet, it looks stupid. im not a fan of the original GTO's looks, or most american cars. the ws6 looked hideous, those holes on the hood look like pustules. US cars that look good: viper, corvette.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts