GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer I bought it from told me to leave it in Auto mode all the time.

I am not sure exactly what that does or how it effects gas mileage on the highway. I do a lot of highway driving and need four wheel drive occasionally to get me through a construciton site. I can see the need for four auto on slick roads covered by ice or something, but not all the time.

Do yall keep yours in 2hi or auto when you are running on dry land?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Do not put it in Auto all the time, it will wear on the T-case internals. I use auto (or did) when it was bad weather as it kept the truck more stable, but it is rally desinged for ice/snow/mud type of terrain rather then wet asphalt.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do not put it in Auto all the time, it will wear on the T-case internals. I use auto (or did) when it was bad weather as it kept the truck more stable, but it is rally desinged for ice/snow/mud type of terrain rather then wet asphalt.
So auto engages the front shaft but not the front hubs?

That seems like it would effect gas mileage too. Yeah, I've been keeing it in 2hi when i don't need it like on the Trailblazer.

It's odd that the dealer would put them all in four auto and tell everyone that they need to keep them on there and never worry about it (like the auto headlights). The owner's manual doesn't say that, and I figured it would wear things out that didn't need to be used....I wasn't sure if it engaged the front hubs or not all the time.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
It's odd that the dealer would put them all in four auto and tell everyone that they need to keep them on there and never worry about it (like the auto headlights). The owner's manual doesn't say that, and I figured it would wear things out that didn't need to be used....I wasn't sure if it engaged the front hubs or not all the time.
Probably either lack of knowledge or wanting to reap the service dollars when you have wear.

Auto is for snow or ice-covered roads, wet dirt roads, etc., basically slick surfaces where 4HI is overkill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
also your truck doesnt lock at the front hubs there is a front diff actuator, which allows power from the front driveshaft to be sent to the front wheels. 2hi and 4hi are what you should really be using. auto is really an iffy setup as the clutch inside the transfer case can wear out prematurly if it is engaging and dissengaging to much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.