GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Autonomy, an EV subscription service, has now officially placed its giant order for 23,000 electric vehicles from Tesla, GM, VW, Ford, Rivian, and more.

Last month, we reported on Autonomy, a California-based company offering simply subscriptions to electric vehicles – we learned that they were preparing to place a giant order for 23,000 electric vehicles.
Autonomy started out by building a fleet of Tesla vehicles to offer through their app.

CEO Scott Painter told Electrek that the company has been taking a delivery of 200 Tesla vehicles per week, and it plans to keep ramping this up. That said, Autonomy also made it clear that it planned to add a lot more electric vehicles from a variety of automakers in order to have a lot of different options for their customers.
Painter said:

Tesla was certainly the right launch partner for Autonomy given their dominance in the electric vehicle market today. With every automaker going all-in on electric and so many exciting new products coming to market in the next 6 to 18 months, we have placed our fleet order and are excited to expand our subscription lineup and make it easier for consumers to make the transition to electric.
Today, the company has now released the details of the entire order:
OEMOrder TotalUnits
BMW$ 29,571,000400
Canoo$ 3,779,000100
Fisker$ 4,314,900100
Ford$ 88,093,8501,800
GM$ 138,728,5003,400
Hyundai$ 73,794,6001,640
Kia$ 68,670,0001,500
Lucid$ 10,065,200100
Mercedes-Benz$ 41,146,700600
Polestar$ 10,100,00200
Rivian$ 72,090,0001,000
Subaru$ 9,471,500200
Tesla$ 443,232,0008,300
Toyota$ 25,905,000600
Vinfast$ 19,400,000400
Volvo$ 13,836,250250
VW$ 106,897,5002,200
Total$ 1,159,096,00022,790
Tesla is still the biggest winner of the order with 8,300 vehicles, but there are also other companies that are getting significant orders, including GM with 3,400 units, Volkswagen with 2,200 units, and Ford with 1,800 units.
There are also smaller automakers that while they are getting smaller orders, it might help them more, like Vinfast with 400 units, Lucid with 100 units, and Canoo with 100 units.
Autonomy released its primary selection criteria for the order:
  • MSRP Range: $26,595 to $122,440
  • Battery Range: 250 miles minimum (with some exceptions)
  • Telematics: Fully connected
  • Production Forecasts: Vehicle will be available to purchase before the end of 2023
  • Residual Values: Models with highest projected resale values
It’s encouraging that there are now – or at least by 2023 – 46 EV models that fit those criteria, because that’s how many different models (plus a few different variants for each model) that Autonomy is ordering.

Reactions: dannyg

·
Premium Member
37,188 Posts

Reactions: Oldsmobile stopped

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,858 Posts
I see subscription services, but who is the intended customer?
Autonomy says people who "don’t want the hassles of buying and then owning your car".

Translation: people who possess more dollars than sense.

Here is the pricing structure for Autonomy EV subscriptions:
  • $100 reservation deposit
  • $400 security deposit
  • $1,000 to $4,900 down payment
  • $490 to $1,000 monthly subscription fee, depending on down payment
  • $0.25 per mile charge after the first 1,000 miles of driving per month
  • subscribers are responsible for paying for an appropriate auto insurance policy (liability, collision, comprehensive) - it is not included in the monthly subscription fee

·
Super Moderator
21,740 Posts
Autonomy says people who "don’t want the hassles of buying and then owning your car".

Translation: people who possess more dollars than sense.

• $400 security deposit
  • subscribers are responsible for paying for an appropriate auto insurance policy (liability, collision, comprehensive) - it is not included in the monthly subscription fee
Some of the brands I see on the list was what made me question who they are selling to. Such as Canoo - I don't know much about them but their vehicles seem more industrial, though I do see on their website some are intended for "home" use. Seems like a lot of self driving vehicles for a nascent market and technology. Is there really that big of a subscription market for self driving cars at what looks to be a pretty high cost? And, not that this needs to be said, none of these are truly self-driving.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
There’s going to be some big losers when it comes to subscriptions, companies engaging in short term hires are risking a lot for little return, they should stick to scooters.
+1
GM's $1,800/month subscription service for Cadillacs was cancelled in 2018 after it racked up major losses for the company every year it was in existence.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Some of the brands I see on the list was what made me question who they are selling to. Such as Canoo - I don't know much about them but their vehicles seem more industrial, though I do see on their website some are intended for "home" use. Seems like a lot of self driving vehicles for a nascent market and technology. Is there really that big of a subscription market for self driving cars at what looks to be a pretty high cost? And, not that this needs to be said, none of these are truly self-driving.
That's just it--a self-driving car is not "pretty high cost." You actually eliminate a lot of parts when you no longer have to accommodate a human driver.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
There’s going to be some big losers when it comes to subscriptions, companies engaging in short term hires are risking a lot for little return, they should stick to scooters.
GM Makes $1,500 OnStar Subscription Mandatory on GMC, Buick, Cadillac Models

If you don't want to pay for in-car subscriptions every month, no problem: Just pay it all upfront. That's the line from General Motors today after news spread that it's making a three-year, $1,500 OnStar connected services subscription a mandatory "option" for new Buick, GMC, and Cadillac Escalade models. The subscription, which enables things like using your phone as a key fob, data-enabled navigation, audio streaming, and Amazon's Alexa virtual assistant, is still optional on other GM vehicles, with the Premium package running $49.99 a month. But don't be surprised if this new setup spreads across the automaker's full portfolio.

Though it's getting attention today following a Detroit Free Press report, the news of Onstar becoming a mandatory subscription was first reported back on July 5 by GM Authority. The $1,500 charge for OnStar will effectively raise the base prices of these cars, though the exact increase varies from model to model. All Buicks will see a price increase of $1,500. Higher trim GMCs will see an increase of as little as $905 with the Hummer EV getting no MSRP boost. Base model GMC pickups, the Sierra and Canyon, are hit the hardest with a $1,675 increase. By far the most common price hike is $1,500, which also applies to the Cadillac Escalade, Automotive News reports.

LINK

That's the way it seems to be heading JPD. GM CFO was saying this today revenue will double on EV's with subscriptions being one part of increasing the revenue on automotive news.

• Wow
Reactions: eklauss

·
Super Moderator
21,740 Posts
That's just it--a self-driving car is not "pretty high cost." You actually eliminate a lot of parts when you no longer have to accommodate a human driver.
You do, but right now those self driving parts have a pretty high cost.... And,at this point, none of those vehicles are true self-driving vehicles - they all still require humans to intervene and still need gas pedals, steering wheels, etc..

·
Premium Member
12,008 Posts
That's the way it seems to be heading JPD. GM CFO was saying this today revenue will double on EV's with subscriptions being one part of increasing the revenue on automotive news.
Maybe so but Autonomy is a subscription based vehicle hire set up, so a bit different.

As stated earlier in this thread,
  • $400 security deposit

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Good for GM!

I'm not clear what the intention is with these vehicles. I see subscription services, but who is the intended customer?
Its one of those services where you rent a car for as long as you like. Several brands (including Cadillac) tried this and failed, but these guys I guess have figured it out.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
these guys I guess have figured it out.
As of August 2022, Autonomy has been in business for less than a year. If they're in the black five years from now, that will be good indication of whether they've truly figured out how to operate a month-to-month car subscription company.

·
Super Moderator
21,740 Posts
Its one of those services where you rent a car for as long as you like. Several brands (including Cadillac) tried this and failed, but these guys I guess have figured it out.

As of August 2022, Autonomy has been in business for less than a year. If they're in the black five years from now, that will be good indication of whether they've truly figured out how to operate a month-to-month car subscription company.
I'm kind of skeptical on this company. I don't see what the draw is - is there that big of a crowd looking to pay high fees to have somewhat self driving vehicles at their disposal?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I'm kind of skeptical on this company. I don't see what the draw is - is there that big of a crowd looking to pay high fees to have somewhat self driving vehicles at their disposal?
+1
Well said BlackGTP. I sincerely hope that there isn't a big crowd willing to pay the ridiculously high fees (including large down payments for something they'll never own!!) Autonomy asks for its glorified short-term car leasing program.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,221 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts