GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here PDL AE rant of the week www.autoextremist.com

JEEP ENJOYS ITS MOMENT IN THE SUN – FOR NOW.
DateMonday, February 9, 2015 at 03:35PM

By Peter M. De Lorenzo

Detroit. As we’ve witnessed Fiat’s rescue from the brink of insolvency - thanks to the True Believers at Chrysler – and watched as sales of Jeeps and Dodge Ram trucks (they will always be Dodge Ram trucks) have propelled the newly named “FCA” enterprise to heights never before imagined by the perpetually and historically downtrodden Italian car company, one question is being asked more and more often in insider and “off the record” conversations throughout the industry.

And that is, how long will it last?

Suffice to say you can categorically dismiss any “official” comments coming out of FCA about the company’s upward trajectory because those views are warped by prosciutto-colored lenses, which doesn’t always jibe with the prevailing reality. Besides, to have troops in the trenches openly questioning The All Knowing and All Powerful Leader’s view of the automotive world would not only be sheer folly, it would be bordering on the treasonous.

But I can assure you that the monopoly that FCA has in the market with its Jeep brand – particularly with the Wrangler – is coming to an end, and sooner than most in this industry may think, I might add.

Let’s not forget that at one point not too long ago, GM’s Hummer brand had Jeep fighting for its very life in the market, before the gathering hordes of the politically correct mustered their pitchforks and demanded that Hummer be neutered or eradicated for egregious sins perpetrated against all mankind. And during the GM bankruptcy process, no one in the Obama administration would have been caught dead defending the existence of Hummer, so it was an easy decision to put the brand to sleep.

But imagine what would have happened if Hummer had been allowed to go dormant only for a while, with plans to resurrect it when GM was free of the restrictions that came with the bankruptcy, and the economy pulled out of its tailspin. The H2 had already been killed, the H3 had become the mainstream Hummer, and the H4 – the scintillating concept that took dead aim at the Wrangler and bristled with both more style and vision than the Jeep – was targeted to become a reality. The table was set for Hummer to be an even more formidable competitor for Jeep, and I daresay we would have been looking at a different landscape in the market today, one with an ultra-competitive Hummer brand armed with an array of products – including even smaller vehicles with advanced powertrains (H5 anyone?) - taking the fight right to Jeep at every turn.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
I see Peter D was able to score .... again.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
No one else makes off road capable crossovers like Jeep does...I'm sure the brand is fine.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
empty page.

when is otto guard going to sell to someone competent? this site is crashing and burning.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wondered the same question.

I post PDL rant again www.autoextremist.com

JEEP ENJOYS ITS MOMENT IN THE SUN – FOR NOW.
DateMonday, February 9, 2015 at 03:35PM

By Peter M. De Lorenzo

Detroit. As we’ve witnessed Fiat’s rescue from the brink of insolvency - thanks to the True Believers at Chrysler – and watched as sales of Jeeps and Dodge Ram trucks (they will always be Dodge Ram trucks) have propelled the newly named “FCA” enterprise to heights never before imagined by the perpetually and historically downtrodden Italian car company, one question is being asked more and more often in insider and “off the record” conversations throughout the industry.

And that is, how long will it last?

Suffice to say you can categorically dismiss any “official” comments coming out of FCA about the company’s upward trajectory because those views are warped by prosciutto-colored lenses, which doesn’t always jibe with the prevailing reality. Besides, to have troops in the trenches openly questioning The All Knowing and All Powerful Leader’s view of the automotive world would not only be sheer folly, it would be bordering on the treasonous.

But I can assure you that the monopoly that FCA has in the market with its Jeep brand – particularly with the Wrangler – is coming to an end, and sooner than most in this industry may think, I might add.

Let’s not forget that at one point not too long ago, GM’s Hummer brand had Jeep fighting for its very life in the market, before the gathering hordes of the politically correct mustered their pitchforks and demanded that Hummer be neutered or eradicated for egregious sins perpetrated against all mankind. And during the GM bankruptcy process, no one in the Obama administration would have been caught dead defending the existence of Hummer, so it was an easy decision to put the brand to sleep.

But imagine what would have happened if Hummer had been allowed to go dormant only for a while, with plans to resurrect it when GM was free of the restrictions that came with the bankruptcy, and the economy pulled out of its tailspin. The H2 had already been killed, the H3 had become the mainstream Hummer, and the H4 – the scintillating concept that took dead aim at the Wrangler and bristled with both more style and vision than the Jeep – was targeted to become a reality. The table was set for Hummer to be an even more formidable competitor for Jeep, and I daresay we would have been looking at a different landscape in the market today, one with an ultra-competitive Hummer brand armed with an array of products – including even smaller vehicles with advanced powertrains (H5 anyone?) - taking the fight right to Jeep at every turn.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
If the big German luxury brands can manage their stranglehold on the market, I'm not too worried about Jeep doing the same for their market. Yes, competition will come, but there's a lot to be said for being the established legend. Also, Jeep is adding product and growing quickly, so I don't see why they won't continue their growth. His biggest argument is that GM might maybe possibly one day build a Wrangler competitor? How did the FJ work out for Toyota?

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
empty page.

when is otto guard going to sell to someone competent? this site is crashing and burning.
Seems like that's the ultimate intent - somewhere.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Logically Jeep won't have such tremendous growth forever, but I'm missing the basis for the speculation that Jeep is just upon their decline/stagnation. Is the discussion of Hummer a reference to whether or not another brand competes directly with Jeep? At best, maybe GMC could but based on the current success of both there's more than enough room for them both. SsangYong is an SUV brand supposedly coming to the US, but they will be building value leaders for years to come in the US. At best, it'd be various competitors that take bits of Jeep away, an FJ Cruiser here, a Montero there. But even then there continues to be enough room in the market so I just don't follow.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
GM doesn't have the guts to compete with Jeep.

Like Sky/Solstice, they'll release a half-baked model for one generation and abandon it.
GM could be approaching a GMC Graphite refresh next year to head off the Renegade... but alas, they didn't build it.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
empty page.

I definitely had a reply posted last night and it's gone

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
All Hummer and the FJ did was help Jeep wake up to better serve their customer basse and expand. The JK line has been a huge success no matter what the competition has. There is not 1 automaker that can come out with a Wrangler competitor and makea dent in Jeep sales for the next 5+ years. Hummer made a good go out of it due to its brand awareness from the Military.

Since 2007 Jeep has done an awesome job with the Wrangler fine tuning it to serve the needs of multiple customer types - not just the hard core off roaders. It is the serious mall crawler and the Rubicon killer in 1 package.

Something new will take years to get brand awareness and develop some longeivity - there is nothing today which will comeout and dent Jeeps sales. The only thing stopping Jeep is capacity to produce Wranglers at this point.

I had a buddy who has been "Mr. Honda" his whole life - would never buy an American car due to the crappy ones his family owned in the 70's. His 7 year old son told him he wanted a convertible (as did his wife) and that "Only a Wrangler would do" - this guy doesnt like to screw around with manual tops, pulling doors, bouncy ride,etc...........he pushed back for 6 months before he pulled the trigger on a Wrangler. Happy wife, happy life - he loves it. No other manufacturer has this level of loyalty and pixie dust today.

My $0.02 ;)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Nothing really stopping GM from reintroducing Hummer as a sub brand of GMC or Chevy (as it should have been in the first place) on a limited scale for one or two models. New H3 and H4 aimed squarely at Jeep and off-road capability.

I do think GMC is the better place for it to sit as a sub brand but the larger Chevy dealer network would work in its favor as well.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Nothing really stopping GM from reintroducing Hummer as a sub brand of GMC or Chevy (as it should have been in the first place) on a limited scale for one or two models. New H3 and H4 aimed squarely at Jeep and off-road capability.

I do think GMC is the better place for it to sit as a sub brand but the larger Chevy dealer network would work in its favor as well.
Can GM reinstate the Hummer brand or would they need to do something with Liqudation Motors?

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
Can GM reinstate the Hummer brand or would they need to do something with Liqudation Motors?

They could call it a GMC Hummer; 1, 2, 3, SUV, SUT, whatever.

GMC (or Chevrolet) being the brand, and Hummer being the name, if they can't use Hummer, they just call it something else; Hummer's were unique vehicle (bodies) but not platform.

(GM brought the G8 back, all 2,479 they sold last year)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Jeep no longer has the engineers it needs to keep Jeep at the top when it comes to off road capability.

If some other manufacturer should turn to and team up with a manufacturer that does still have the needed engineers (wheeled military vehicles) then Jeep could find itself hurting badly. And quickly.
Let's not forget that GM did just that with the H4. It was just Jeeps good luck and GM's bad luck that the H4 never saw the light of day.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
GM needs to get off their azz and make serious off roader's out of the Silverado/Sierra and Colorado/Canyon. A Power Wagon-type 3/4 or 1 ton and a Raptor-type truck out of a half ton and/or the midsizers

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
GM doesn't have the guts to compete with Jeep.

Like Sky/Solstice, they'll release a half-baked model for one generation and abandon it.
How dare you say that!!?? A new ELR is coming in 2016!! :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, PDL is exactly on target here:

That’s not the reality we live with today, however. Jeep remains unchallenged and unfettered by serious competition of any kind, and FCA is raking in cash by the bushel full from the profits. In fact they can’t even count it fast enough.

GM Strategic Planning, call your mother.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.