·
Registered
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here PDL AE rant of the week www.autoextremist.com

SATURDAY, JUNE 5, 2021 AT 10:17AM
By Peter M. DeLorenzo
Detroit.
It never ceases to amaze me that The Motor City is still a company town like no other (well, except for Hollywood, which is its own special brew). Unless you live around here, it's hard to understand what I'm talking about, but once again I've been presented an opportunity to paint for you a vivid picture of what I mean. Last Thursday (June 3rd), the Detroit Free Press - or is it the Detroit Ford Press? Or, is it the Ford Free Press? - actually ran a story (above the fold, no less) with the headline: "Lightning's bonus: A full spare." The gist of the story is that Ford's new Lightning EV pickup is the only one of the coming EV pickups to have been designed to accommodate the placement of a full-size spare tire. Yes, you read that correctly. That this "news" would merit a front-page placement and a full page inside is almost incomprehensible and flat-out tedious beyond belief. But that's what passes for journalism these days at the Freep, as it is nicknamed, and in this crazed company town. No, you just can't make this **** up, but little did I know this was just the warmup for what was to come.
Late the afternoon before, Ford PR chief Mark Truby put out a lengthy – and breathless – email statement about how Ford was realigning its PR department for the new world. Not a huge surprise, as corporate kumbayas have been de rigueur for a while now. In this era of corporate responsibility, if a major corporation isn’t wearing some cause, or stance, or crafted persona on its sleeve in full view of the public, well, something’s just not right. And I think this is generally a beneficial development and constitutes proper corporate citizenship. After all, trying to contribute something to the greater good is a worthwhile endeavor.
But sometimes, as in most things when corporations get involved, things can go awry, and in a hurry. And when it comes to car companies, there’s always a chance that things can go off the rails with blazing speed.
Given that, the big news with this PR announcement from Ford was that the company had hired Caroline Adler Morales, who previously toiled for former President Barack – and Michelle – Obama. With a long and illustrious career in the political arena, Morales has been given the title of “director of stakeholder advocacy” at Ford, which Truby explained thusly: "In this role, she will be responsible for bringing our purpose to life through great initiatives and creative communications, helping us become far more intentional about showing our values to the world."
"We want to be a company that is not only known for products and services but we want our corporate character to shine through," Truby continued. And then, this is when it got sketchy. "You want to be part of the cultural conversation. We want to build advocacy — like when you think of Patagonia, Disney and even Tesla. They're very intentional about helping others tell their story and about building fandom and support, whether in the environmental community or people who just love Broncos or Mustangs or F-150s," Truby said.
"We have the potential as a brand to have even more love and support and advocacy from the public than what we do. But we have to be intentional about it. At the highest level, Caroline will be working on those types of strategies — from corporate giving to ESG — environmental, social and governance priorities."
Oh, really? The PR minions over in Dearborn can’t possibly believe this mumbo jumbo, can they? Love and support and advocacy from the public? You have got to be kidding me. I know certain high-ranking members of the Dearborn-based automaker have lofty, bordering on the touchy-feely, opinions of themselves and Ford’s place in the world, but this is laughable, and unmitigated bull**** of the first order. (Even China's President Xi Jinping wants to do a rebrand so that his country becomes more "lovable." It's like a plague.)
That would have been enough, thank you very much, from Ford for one week, but then the lamentable Phoebe Wall Howard weighed in with a gushing, 2500-word online piece late Friday afternoon (and, of course, it appeared on Page 1 in Sunday's Freep) with the blaring headline: “Ford stock was cheaper than a sandwich. Now shareholders are gloating.”
Now, it’s no secret that Howard has been, shall we say, CEO Jim “Jimmy Har-Har” Farley’s biggest booster, but now even other members of the usually compliant media that cover the auto biz whom I talked to were saying out loud, “WTF?” As in, what gives with Howard and Ford? Another said, “This is just getting ****ing ridiculous.” Or, as one observer said to me succinctly, "Why don’t they just call the Freep the Ford Free Pass?"

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,625 Posts
Looks like Autoextremist is back to his old, ineffable self. In this week's rant, he mentions:
  • Jim Farley
  • Mary Barra
  • Elon Musk
  • Barack Hussein Obama
  • Michelle Obama
  • Xi Jinping
  • Steve Jobs
  • Henry Ford
  • Jacques Nasser
Wow!

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
Hahahaaa - this one is funny and I agree with him, assuming his summarization is factual and not taking things out of context as I haven't viewed the actual presentations. I think Ford is his new #1 beat on company. With drivel like this, I can understand his disgust.

I'd love to see a company say "we are here to build quality product to make money and not make any political statements".

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,625 Posts
I'd love to see a company say "we are here to build quality product to make money and not make any political statements".
Among global automotive OEMs - or large, publicly traded companies in any industry - political correctness is so firmly entrenched however that such a statement is a pipe dream. :(

There are many small businesses however that do say what you mentioned, and live up to the statement.

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
Among global automotive OEMs - or large, publicly traded companies in any industry - political correctness is so firmly entrenched however that such a statement is a pipe dream. :(

There are many small businesses however that do say what you mentioned, and live up to the statement.
Yeah... I'm getting tired of my products making political statements. If I want to drink a Coke, I want it for enjoyment - a treat. It ceases to be that if I have to be either worried about what kind of statement I'm making when I drink it, or mad because my product makes a statement I'm not aligned with. I'm tired of movie stars doing it, and everyone else. I want to watch a good movie, not a series of political statements. I want my Cadillac to be a fun toy, not a statement.

Statements are what t-shirts and hats are made for.

·
Premium Member
35,772 Posts
Hilarious. Are we entering "The Age Of Nauseating Ass-Kissing?" It's sure looking like this. Overpaid brainiacs groveling and sucking up at the feet of PC and worse.

"We have the potential as a brand to have even more love and support and advocacy from the public than what we do. But we have to be intentional about it. At the highest level, Caroline will be working on those types of strategies — from corporate giving to ESG — environmental, social and governance priorities."

"Love from the public"? That is the damndest gibberish and tripe I've seen in a while. Some folks will be visiting their back doctors, to treat lower back trouble after spending weeks on end bent over kissing ass. Old Hank would probably have Bennet kill the lot of these clowns.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,348 Posts
Holy Cow what a read. Crazy, they're at this same kind of thing where I'm at too... and overbearing to a point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts