GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here PDL AE rant of the week www.autoextremist.com

At odds with itself, insipidness reigns at Cadillac.
DateSunday, November 23, 2014 at 07:36PM

By Peter M. De Lorenzo

Detroit. Just when I thought it was safe to set aside the discussion about automotive marketing for a while, a colleague sent along a link to an article in Fortune about an alleged Cadillac marketer that was so vapid and so embarrassingly offensive that it almost defies description. Almost.

And I use the word “alleged” because by the time I finished reading it I couldn’t for the life of me fathom why this person was even employed by Cadillac, let alone squiring the title of “director of brand and reputation strategy” for GM’s luxury division.

The writer, who shall remain nameless out of sheer pity, decided to write about one Melody Lee, who distinguishes herself by uttering such a collection of banal and flat-out stupid pronouncements that it pegged the AE Marketing Cringeworthy Meter at “11.”

With her millennial credentials strapped firmly to her sleeve – this is apparently a very big deal to her – she regaled the writer about her role as Cadillac’s millennial expert in residence, muttering, “I’ll often say, ‘Well, do you want a millennial’s perspective?’ You have one right here.”

I’m glad she clarified that, otherwise one might get the impression by her other statements that she should be selling discount near-luxury shoes somewhere. (Then again she was hired by the inimitable Bob Ferguson, the GM lobbyist who was plucked from obscurity by the clueless Captain Queeg to run Cadillac and who was so relentlessly out of his element in his brief tenure that he set the division back five years. It’s truly depressing that Dan Akerson’s Reign of Terror still haunts GM like a bad dream.)

Adhering to the now-obligatory Company Line for Cadillac, Lee said in the interview, “We want to be a global luxury brand that happens to sell cars. We don’t want to be an automotive brand. There is nothing that exciting about an ad with a car in it by itself. We need to start injecting more humanity into our brand and into our advertising.”

Lee has all of the rote jargon that the Cadillac management team holds dear down pat. (There seems to be an undercurrent to all of this going on here that goes something like this: “If we say it often enough the media might actually believe it even though deep down we are straining to believe it ourselves.”)

·
Premium Member
36,293 Posts
This could help explain why no good Caddy--or GM--ads have yet appeared. And why they will not.:eek:

Adhering to the now-obligatory Company Line for Cadillac, Lee said in the interview, “We want to be a global luxury brand that happens to sell cars. We don’t want to be an automotive brand. There is nothing that exciting about an ad with a car in it by itself. We need to start injecting more humanity into our brand and into our advertising.”

“If we are going to truly be a global luxury brand, we need to distance ourselves a little bit from our mothership. Everyone in New York is always just a little bit ahead of everyone else and we need to be the brand that stands for that.”

Oh really? What a load of crap that statement is. Saying “New York is always a little bit ahead of everyone else” is such a pathetically inaccurate and condescending statement that I don’t even know where to begin. I won’t bother to list the other cities in this nation that have every right to that proclamation, but suffice to say Lee comes across as a frickin’ amateur, a petulant pseudo-expert with absolutely nothing of consequence to add to the discussion.

Lee concludes the “interview” with this gem: “I don’t buy products, I buy brands,” explained Lee. “I don’t use Apple computers because they are the best computers, I use them because Apple is cool. We need to show drivers what the Cadillac lifestyle is all about.”

Ah yes, the elusive hip and cool factor.

PDL is right. "The New Superficial Standard of the World."

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
This could help explain why no good Caddy--or GM--ads have yet appeared. And why they will not.:eek:

“If we are going to truly be a global luxury brand, we need to distance ourselves a little bit from our mothership. Everyone in New York is always just a little bit ahead of everyone else and we need to be the brand that stands for that.”

Oh really? What a load of crap that statement is. Saying “New York is always a little bit ahead of everyone else” is such a pathetically inaccurate and condescending statement that I don’t even know where to begin. I won’t bother to list the other cities in this nation that have every right to that proclamation, but suffice to say Lee comes across as a frickin’ amateur, a petulant pseudo-expert with absolutely nothing of consequence to add to the discussion.

Lee concludes the “interview” with this gem: “I don’t buy products, I buy brands,” explained Lee. “I don’t use Apple computers because they are the best computers, I use them because Apple is cool. We need to show drivers what the Cadillac lifestyle is all about.”

Ah yes, the elusive hip and cool factor.

PDL is right. "The New Superficial Standard of the World."
She is actually totally clueless, using a little knowledge of the reasons for the move to NY and the new approach of de Nysschen and Ellinghaus to make statements that are ignorant and will have her bosses eyes popping out with incredulity! My prediction is that she doesn't last through the year. Like most millenials, her view of her importance and abilities is totally disproportionate to her actual competence and value to the organisation.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
She is actually totally clueless, using a little knowledge of the reasons for the move to NY and the new approach of de Nysschen and Ellinghaus to make statements that are ignorant and will have her bosses eyes popping out with incredulity! My prediction is that she doesn't last through the year. Like most millenials, her view of her importance and abilities is totally disproportionate to her actual competence and value to the organisation.
Sadly, I frequently encounter individuals like this. Imagine hiring a marketing person to be VP of Engineering. It happened at a company I worked at. It was the single most WTF moment we had experienced.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
While the critique of here is true, her thought processes isn't too far from the consumers. People dont buy BMW b/c it's the best in a segment. Tjey buy it because its the popular thing to do.

·
Premium Member
36,293 Posts
A true PDL rant, in the most pejorative sense of the word.
Yeah, I liked it too. Center target. :cool:

While the critique of here is true, her thought processes isn't too far from the consumers. People dont buy BMW b/c it's the best in a segment. Tjey buy it because its the popular thing to do.
Which consumers? All consumers? Which demographic, ethnic, age cohort, income, etc. group are you talking about? ALL of them? Backup data would be appreciated.

I don't frequent BMW dealerships. I did visit one about 10 years ago.
I remarked to the dildo manning the floor, "Ya know, dildobreath, BMW owners used to be DRIVERS. Now it's about driving a BMW."

"Oh! They still are, Sir Neanderthal the Great! They are!!"

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Really? BMW buyers? Every one of them? Since when do people only buy the 'best in segment'? If that were the case only one car would exist per segment. People have varying criteria, and I can easily understand why some people choose BMW as they have some fantastic features and strong points.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Melody Lee sounds like a real effing dipsh !t. Any more people like that in the Cadillac bloodstream will make me physically averse to buying another Cadillac. On the off chance that she is getting paid more than minimum wage, someone should can her smart ass, ass.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Quote=article/PDL
"...The only thing more shocking is that the powers that be at Cadillac and at GM actually buy into this bull****..."

perhaps NYC will chew her up and spit her out?
it isn't helL.A. afterall ... for the most part
tho from this, Cadillac sounds like
"Lasciate ogni speranza voi che entrate"

Really? BMW buyers? Every one of them? Since when do people only buy the 'best in segment'? If that were the case only one car would exist per segment. People have varying criteria, and I can easily understand why some people choose BMW as they have some fantastic features and strong points.
Paul
I can only only speak for the small random sampling of the U.S. that I encounter when all my efforts to avoid them fail
but
I've noticed an absurd fixation with the concept of THE BEST in recent years

I say "the concept of" because I don't believe there IS a single Best in most circumstances**
&
continue studying to refute black'n'white thinking
which
imho could lead to "only one car would exist per segment" EXCEPT
that what many people like even better than The Best
is
arguing

Now to figure out how/if this could be posted on FiN

** of course I have an advantage since I realize that
the World's Most Perfect Brand went 'on hiatus' in 2010

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
"Instead, it smacks of justifying one’s existence in the larger autosphere by convincing one another – as well as GM management down at the RenCen - that luxury by association is an actionable marketing strategy, which is laughable, at best.)"
I said this last week... while being in New York DOES perhaps offer Cadillac more opportunities to learn about luxury, if they think they're going to learn by osmisis then they're wasting their time. You have to get off your butt and do a little research, and that could have been done from Detroit if they really felt it was important. Maybe this move is inspired by a true change in mindset, but by the sounds of this air-headed millenial, not everyone at Cadillac has a clue.

As for "we don't want to be an automotive brand", I find that a very silly thing to say. I want a luxury car from a manufacturer that knows EXACTLY what a good automobile is, and designs in luxury from the beginning. We all complain about Toyota building 'applicances'; well, this woman wants Cadillac to build handbags and watches and shoes. Not much better. Pretending Cadillacs aren't automobiles is the quickest way to building mediocre cars that happen to be dripping in luxury. The CTS is a perfect example of how excellent a luxury automobile can be, but that it starts out as an excellent automobile.

·
Registered
21,375 Posts
Then Cadillac should stop putting money into its products and just advertise more.

------------------------

And once the move to NY is complete Cadillac will have dozens of Melody Lee's running around "building the brand"

------------------------

Lots of talk and little movement so far, so I can't tell if I'm watching a plane accelerating and about to take-off or a train about to crash.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
My God. Reading what she said makes me want to barf. Ugh.

Teeheehee, I work for Cadillac. I'm a trendy millennial who loves trendy stuff like cupcakes and Starbucks.

I get the gist of what she's saying, and she has a good point, but she rubs off as an idiot when she talks. Sad thing is, that's usually the norm for Cadillac executives.

·
Premium Member
36,293 Posts
How can you be a knight? You are not even human?
We Neanderthals are plus human. Do your research!! Cranial cubic inch displacement homo sap + 10%!
The beat goes on!

Using his usual "creative spelling,"that would make him a "Nite." :)
DY NO MITE you could say. :drive:

He can't be called "Sir" if he lives in the US... :rolleyes:
You may call me "Your Lordship" if you prefer.

I said this last week... while being in New York DOES perhaps offer Cadillac more opportunities to learn about luxury, if they think they're going to learn by osmisis then they're wasting their time. You have to get off your butt and do a little research, and that could have been done from Detroit if they really felt it was important. Maybe this move is inspired by a true change in mindset, but by the sounds of this air-headed millenial, not everyone at Cadillac has a clue.

As for "we don't want to be an automotive brand", I find that a very silly thing to say. I want a luxury car from a manufacturer that knows EXACTLY what a good automobile is, and designs in luxury from the beginning. We all complain about Toyota building 'applicances'; well, this woman wants Cadillac to build handbags and watches and shoes. Not much better. Pretending Cadillacs aren't automobiles is the quickest way to building mediocre cars that happen to be dripping in luxury. The CTS is a perfect example of how excellent a luxury automobile can be, but that it starts out as an excellent automobile.
That statement is just about as stupid and intellectually detached as possible from someone who can put on shoes in the morning.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
My God. Reading what she said makes me want to barf. Ugh.

Teeheehee, I work for Cadillac. I'm a trendy millennial who loves trendy stuff like cupcakes and Starbucks.

I get the gist of what she's saying, and she has a good point, but she rubs off as an idiot when she talks. Sad thing is, that's usually the norm for Cadillac executives.
I agree with what your saying but I think it's arrogance she's exhibiting.

Just because, i'm posting her favorite car:

And now for something completely different:

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
I'm not saying it is. I'm saying people are buying the brand & image, not the car.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Then Cadillac should stop putting money into its products and just advertise more.

------------------------

And once the move to NY is complete Cadillac will have dozens of Melody Lee's running around "building the brand"

------------------------

Lots of talk and little movement so far, so I can't tell if I'm watching a plane accelerating and about to take-off or a train about to crash.
Stop being impatient. Yes they need to advertise more, but they were basically a rudderless ship with Ferguson at the helm. Advertising is picking up, I saw a new Christmas themed commercial yesterday

1 - 20 of 37 Posts