1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOURCE: AutoBlog

AutoBlog/MKT Gallery

I thought this was an interesting quote:

Unlike the concept, which had its interior packaged as a luxury four-seater, the production model is expected to get three rows of seats with room for up to seven passengers. What's not known at this point is whether the truck-based Navigator will live on after the MKT debuts. We're betting it won't for very long.
What is everyone's thoughts? Should they just can the Navigator and concentrate on marketing the more fuel-conscious (and possibly more comfortable) MKT?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
By the looks of it, they should just can both. That interior has all the wrong things going for it. In no way should this vehicle be badged a Lincoln, if they're serious about being a luxury marque.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
As long as there's an F-150, there will be an Expedition, and a Navigator.

Development money for the Exped/Navi is being pulled back, and updates will be performed lockstep with the F-150 to save costs.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I'm concerned with the interior. Granted, we have not seen the full thing yet, but what we have seen seems to lead me to believe that is sort of a "blah" execution. There are rumors that this thing could wear a $60K price tag. That will not happen (at least not happen and sell anything) if the interior is as blah as it appears to be.

I hope I'm wrong though, because the MKS interior is not blah.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as there's an F-150, there will be an Expedition, and a Navigator.

Development money for the Exped/Navi is being pulled back, and updates will be performed lockstep with the F-150 to save costs.
Good to know, but with the shift from BOF to unibody products, I'm wondering if it doesn't fit Lincoln's "new image" to just can the Navigator and make a really nice, AWD-standard version of the MKT? Then Ford could save those extra development dollars to make an even better Expedition or F-150, no?

Just my two cents.
I'm concerned with the interior. Granted, we have not seen the full thing yet, but what we have seen seems to lead me to believe that is sort of a "blah" execution. There are rumors that this thing could wear a $60K price tag. That will not happen (at least not happen and sell anything) if the interior is as blah as it appears to be.

I hope I'm wrong though, because the MKS interior is not blah.
Let's just hope its the pictures themselves. The MKS's interior is nice. The interior on the next Taurus seems to be even better if you can believe it (from the pics we've seen), and the interior on the revised Mustang looks solid - if uninspiring.

Point is that FoMoCo seems to be doing better and better on their interiors. I would hope that the MKT follows suit.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Remember that we havent seen any part of the MKT without the pre -production mule- esque parts bin that is in the interior. I think the overall shape looks good. But again I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt before we see the production scheme.

Please name a Cadillac that has a decent dash besides the current CTS...

XLR:(
SRX:(
STS:eek:
Escalade:cool: (could use a floor shifter though)

And i wont rag on DTS because the Town Car dates back to 1983.

Also my 500th Post on GMI! Im supercharged LOL

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I loved the concept and hope it is comprimised very little for production. I hope they DO produce a 4 seat version for the limo trade. I can just see them in black and stretched as the new bling limo for high society. Or in burgundy with a pale camel-tan interior. I hope that it and the MKT hit showrooms, unchanged from the concepts, to herald a grand rebirth of the marque....love the 1941 inspired grille!

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
We have not seen the finish product so dont get up in arms guys...This will not take over for the Navigator for one reason. People now what a Navigator is. Go out on the street and ask them to name a Lincoln and they will say Navigator. Its their best known product.
Did anyone else notice that the Nav is now Lincoln's first $50,000+ car for a base model. the 2009 site is up.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
I loved the concept and hope it is comprimised very little for production. I hope they DO produce a 4 seat version for the limo trade. I can just see them in black and stretched as the new bling limo for high society. Or in burgundy with a pale camel-tan interior. I hope that it and the MKT hit showrooms, unchanged from the concepts, to herald a grand rebirth of the marque....love the 1941 inspired grille!
I'll agree on that. With the new taxi rules in NYC, I expect to see these with V6 hybrids replacing Town Cars.

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
Good to know, but with the shift from BOF to unibody products, I'm wondering if it doesn't fit Lincoln's "new image" to just can the Navigator and make a really nice, AWD-standard version of the MKT? Then Ford could save those extra development dollars to make an even better Expedition or F-150, no?

Just my two cents.

Let's just hope its the pictures themselves. The MKS's interior is nice. The interior on the next Taurus seems to be even better if you can believe it (from the pics we've seen), and the interior on the revised Mustang looks solid - if uninspiring.

Point is that FoMoCo seems to be doing better and better on their interiors. I would hope that the MKT follows suit.
The new Taurus interior does look stunning.
There is no doubt that this MKT will be at least a notch above the MKS, which I think looks very nice in base trim, without all the premium inteiror touches that some luxury car makers (sorry can't say you know who) make their customers pay for.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
IMO the only SUV that will survive in Fords line as BOF will be the Expedition and Navigator since the development money its paid with the Fseries line

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
The more camo comes off, the more it looks like a Flex with a sloping rear... Whatever remains under cover, we can already see that it indeed has all the grace of a beached whale, except for the fact that it would (hopefully) not explode.

The interior looks interesting FWICT, but the mixture of colours and materials (three cheers for faux burly walnut!) is rather... daring, to say so.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
The more camo comes off, the more it looks like a Flex with a sloping rear... Whatever remains under cover, we can already see that it indeed has all the grace of a beached whale, except for the fact that it would (hopefully) not explode.

The interior looks interesting FWICT, but the mixture of colours and materials (three cheers for faux burly walnut!) is rather... daring, to say so.
Oh man, you said it exactly.

I found the concept to be very unattractive, and I don't think the beached-whale look will be fixed for production.

Sigh. I guess I should stop waiting for a production Lincoln MK9. That car was just so stunning in person.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Oh man, you said it exactly.

I found the concept to be very unattractive, and I don't think the beached-whale look will be fixed for production.

Sigh. I guess I should stop waiting for a production Lincoln MK9. That car was just so stunning in person.
MK9 was ready to roll for MY2006 as a derivative of the Mustang and new Thunderbird (4-seater), and as a filler for Wixom Assembly, but got cancelled. The closest you'll see is the Lincoln MKR, which is still plodding along in development, and should be ready within 2-3 years as a direct competitor to the CTS.

As for the MKT... the Lincoln team is seeking to create a "Learjet for the road" with this vehicle. Its other purpose is to replace the Town Car as an executive transport vehicle.

Reactions from my colleagues last year at NYIAS were jaw-dropping, as far as the style went.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.