GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/27/battle-royale-if-gm-and-chrysler-merge-which-models-survive/

At first we thought the idea of a merger between General Motors and Chrysler LLC was laughable. We still do, but persistent reports to the contrary have us fearing that this marriage just might happen. Combining these two automakers would be a messy job, as many models on both sides of the fence compete directly with on another in the marketplace. If the merger does happen, someone may have to sit down and decide which models stay and which go. We decided to play arm chair auto executive quarterback and hold a Battle Royale. We've pitted model against model in 12 segments in which GM and Chrysler compete directly. In this thought experiment, only one model in each segment will survive to see the New World Order. Get to clickin' below to find out which ones make it.
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/battle-royale-gm-vs-chrysler/1121964/

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
still based on seeing the featured models side to side it's apparent that at least a third of Chrysler's current lineup is either inferior or redundant to most of GM's products. Ram vs Silverado depends on personal preference but other than price i really do not see how the patriot is better than the Vue.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
Exactly.
The Ram isn't going anywhere. Neither is the Silverado.
Getting rid of the Colorado in favor of the Dakota would also be a mistake.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
You dont get rid of the Viper. You dont get rid of the Vette. They both stay. Period.

And the Ram vs. Silverado as well as the Camaro vs. Challenger are real tough ones, and ones in which I'd allow both to run their course until we come to the end of their lifecycle, at which point we'd figure it out from there. All four have/will have amazing followings, and seeing as they're all new/fairly new, and one of the best vehicles in their class, I see no reason to give any of them the boot.

As for the others... they're alot more obvious. G8 vs. Charger is a tougher one, but in the end the G8 is the superior vehicle in just about every way possible, while the Charger - still a great vehicle as long as it's an R/T or better - is getting near the end of its lifecycle.

Though I still vote Big 3 partnership that would allow them to share technologies, innovations, engineering, and cost to boost profit, quality, and market share over the next few years.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks this merger is a stupid idea?

What does Chysler have to offer GM?

Every vehicle that Chrysler does well, GM does better.

Challenger-Camaro, Viper- Vette, Ram-Silverado(sales, quality), charger-G8,

·
Registered
157 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks this merger is a stupid idea?

What does Chysler have to offer GM?

Every vehicle that Chrysler does well, GM does better.

Challenger-Camaro, Viper- Vette, Ram-Silverado(sales, quality), charger-G8,

I'm sorry but the CAMARO is ugly, the viper is more expensive but faster, Silverado is boring looking, and the G8 may be canceled as soon as it comes out, but the G8 is hot!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like the styling of most (but not all) of the Chrysler products over GM products. They just seem bolder. GM = boring. Now this exercise is abit of a waste because initially the merge won't be a huge design point impact. You'll take the most popular brand names and car lines and build whatever you want. If you think putting a Hummer touch on the Chrysler minivan would be a seller...go for it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like the styling of most (but not all) of the Chrysler products over GM products. They just seem bolder. GM = boring. Now this exercise is abit of a waste because initially the merge won't be a huge design point impact. You'll take the most popular brand names and car lines and build whatever you want. If you think putting a Hummer touch on the Chrysler minivan would be a seller...go for it!
I agree with you with respect to Crysler's styling, at least they are distinct and eye catching. I personally like the Charger, 300, Avenger and even the Caliber. Heck, even the Nytro is distinctive, kind of a budget Hummber. I also much prefer the Ram styling (and pricing) to the Silverado. With the exception of Caddy, too many of GMs current products blend in with the bland fields of Cam-Cords, Kias and Hundas, hard to tell apart without checking the badges. The challange would be to add quality and engine technology to the Crysler line.

·
Premium Member
5,033 Posts
I like the Journey. Moot point, though.
Maybe Uncle Sam will loan the General a little more to absorb Chrysler. That only works if you can get Diamler to give up that last 19 %

·
Banned
611 Posts
I'm sorry but the CAMARO is ugly, the viper is more expensive but faster, Silverado is boring looking, and the G8 may be canceled as soon as it comes out, but the G8 is hot!!
You know, a lot of those descriptions were used when I met your mother back in a bar in Tuscon. But, like the new Camaro, that didn't stop me from getting in and taking a ride.

They share other similarities, too: they have the same curb weight, they're both being offered at locations across the country, and have a wide cross-section of shoppers. The only real differences are the price and the fact that the Camaro actually has people wanting it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.