GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by god@Nov 3 2003, 09:42 PM
Is the AUTO 4WD feature found on sierra's and silverado's like awd?
You should know it god :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, AWD is all 4 wheels all the time, you cant turn it off. The AUTO 4WD in the sierra, silverado, suburban, etc.. is 2WD unless the rear wheels start to slip, then it automatically turns 4WD on without you touching anything and sometimes without you knowing it. This feature was added so you can maintain the gas milage of 2WD while still getting the traction of 4WD when you need it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wouldn't depend on the old Autotrac "A4WD" when things get a little more than rainy. Marginally useful off-road, though it is easy enough just to shift into 2wd when you need to make a tighter turn.

I was seriously dissappointed when it came to the first snowfall. My trailblazer picks up about a half-second too late on snowy roads. It lets the rear get a too far out for comfort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No the auto 4wd comes from a clutch pack in the t case, which when front propshaft speed is lower than the rear there is a senseor that sends a signal to some sort of module which tells the encoder motor to apply pressure to the clutch plates causing the clutch basket ( which is splined to the drive sprocket on the chain) to match the speed of the rear shaft. therefore "automatically" engaging 4wd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts