GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
As soon as GM sold Opel to Peugeot they should have reversed the decision to stop manufacturing in Australia. GM had an older car which was selling 2,000 a month minimum and then a newer car comes along with newer technology and is barely even able to do 500 a month. Even after said vehicle was introduced the old car was still outselling the new car significantly.
That would have been so perfect! Now that Peugeot is hooking up with FCA, how about some Hemis Down Under? I would love to see somebody put a thumb in GM's eye over leaving Oz. And I have never lived south of Tennessee or west of the Mississippi...

Our GTO/G8 (Monaro) were superb cars with no support from GM in the States. A very good friend has a G8 GT he bought for a song after Pontiac folded. I feel you guys...

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Even Toyota would be wishing they kept manufacturing in Australia, with the dollar where it is they would be making a killing, plus Camry stock is incredibly hard to get and expensive coming out of Japan.
Toyota didn't want to leave Australia - their operation was working well with export a significant proportion of Camry production and included Hybrid Camrys. They realised that it would be uneconomic for the sub-contractors to continue with just one manufacturer.
Imported cars will only get more expensive if the exchange rate weakens further. So our exporters, like Ms Rinehart win and the average Aussie loses - gee what a surprise

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
The ex Aussie Holden plant should be expanded one-third of the world still drive RHD cars & trucks that GM don't really do RHD anymore, it would be nice to see Aussies triumph out of adversity whilst shifting potentially producing a lot of extra sales out of nothing for GM.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
The ex Aussie Holden plant should be expanded one-third of the world still drive RHD cars & trucks that GM don't really do RHD anymore, it would be nice to see Aussies triumph out of adversity whilst shifting potentially producing a lot of extra sales out of nothing for GM.
Pity is that they don’t seem to want those extra sales

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just shows the stupidity of GM management. They were so delusional that an import would be able to just replace all the SS Commodores in the police fleet. I was walking past the local police station on my way to the local library today and there was one falcon in the police line up. All of the rest of the cars are hyundai's or BMW 530D's of which there was probably 15 or so. These would have been all commodores if manufacturing was still in this country. Not a single ZB.
From what I've heard they are keeping the Commodores and Falcons for at least 50,000km longer then they used, I remember looking at ex chasers all had 60, 70 or 80K on them now they all have close to 120K. No ZB's as GD cars seeing lots of Sonatas though.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts