GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A video from the Enforcer and the Dude this week

For the guys in the U.S and other countries these guys are V8 Supercar and Touring Car legends and have their own motorsport show on youtube on a weekly basis

The video shows just how much goes into the re manufacture of the Camaro , Ram and Silverado for RHD markets

Whats interesting is that Ryan Walkinshaw says there are more Australian parts in the Camaro than in the R8

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha - you beat me to it. No doubt about it - HSV/whatever you want to call them do a fantastic job of the LHD/RHD conversions.
They really talked it up too

Made me want to go out and buy a Ram or a Camaro I cant fit in lol

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
They should send CKD kits so they don't have to take them apart.
because they disassemble existing cars there maybe "loopholes" regulation wise / tracking wise VS being the builder from "kit" parts and I assume GM/FCA are less interested in CKD pre production VS completed car production the CKD MIGHT COST MORE then the finished product as they NEED a CLOSE to built product anyways

I am curious what they do with all the "throw away" NEW parts like headlights and dash pads sell them BACK to the OEM as NEW replacement parts in the USA I assume that would be worth a fair penny

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Which is exactly how Chevrolets & Pontiacs were made in Aust. by GM-H up to 1968. We've almost gone 'full circle'.

Dr Terry
Not only Chevrolets and Pontiacs but also some Fords and Dodges. In the case of Dodge, Plymouths rechristened as Dodges.
http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/Australia/Ford/Ford/1972-Ford-Galaxie-Folder/index.html
http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/Aust...ymouth/1969-Dodge-Phoenix-Brochure/index.html

However does pick-up trucks was also shipped in CKD to Australia?
http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/Aust.../1979-Chevrolet-V8-Trucks-Brochure/index.html
http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/Aust...1979-Ford-F-Series-Trucks-Brochure/index.html

·
Registered
790 Posts
because they disassemble existing cars there maybe "loopholes" regulation wise / tracking wise VS being the builder from "kit" parts and I assume GM/FCA are less interested in CKD pre production VS completed car production the CKD MIGHT COST MORE then the finished product as they NEED a CLOSE to built product anyways

I am curious what they do with all the "throw away" NEW parts like headlights and dash pads sell them BACK to the OEM as NEW replacement parts in the USA I assume that would be worth a fair penny
They can't re-use them. Smack a lawyer the next time you see one... Liability. Pure and simple.

If someone were to calculate the waste created by lawyers such as this, I would imagine they might have a humongous carbon footprint. Probably larger than any automaker... Truly.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
They can't re-use them. Smack a lawyer the next time you see one... Liability. Pure and simple.

If someone were to calculate the waste created by lawyers such as this, I would imagine they might have a humongous carbon footprint. Probably larger than any automaker... Truly.
maybe the OEMs can't use them but surely they could be sold as used units.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts

some parts like the headlights and tail lights I can not see a LAWYER getting involved if they are being sold as JOBBER / 3RD party / reman ETC parts
I can see issues with refitting them on NEW cars OR selling them as NEW OEM when they are NOT NEW

·
Registered
246 Posts
There is a big market in Australia, if you are taking apart a Ram pickup and putting back together by hand with loads of new parts and engineering, and with all that cost you are still selling 400 a month.... you are starting to see the tip of the iceberg that potential volumes for local assembly or a factory RHD can bring.

Locally assembled Holden Silverado... we can dream right?

Get 5,000 CKD kits from Mexico per annum and assemble them in a small greenfields site north of Adelaide.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Exactly, we had huge quantity of CKD kits assembled here by just about every manufacturer you can think of. Plenty of European stuff as well, M/Benz, Citroen, Renault, Peugeot, VW etc. VWs were built here between 1955 & 1968 with over 85% local content.

As a matter of fact prior to 1925 (when Ford Aust. was established) Holden (prior to the GM merger) built Fords & Dodges etc.

GM-H also built other GM brands as well, Cadillac & LaSalle for example.

Prior to WWII most of these were fully pressed & made in Aust. not just CKD kits. In most cases only the chassis & drivetrain were imported & everything else produced locally.

Dr Terry

·
Registered
449 Posts
I always wondered why HSV didn't take over the Elizabeth plant to continue building HSV's. They could have easily been selling 2000 cars a month to police and retail which Holden has completely lost. Not to mention they would have picked up NZ sales and continued in small numbers in the UK and even in to South Africa and other RHD markets.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
I always wondered why HSV didn't take over the Elizabeth plant to continue building HSV's. They could have easily been selling 2000 cars a month to police and retail which Holden has completely lost. Not to mention they would have picked up NZ sales and continued in small numbers in the UK and even in to South Africa and other RHD markets.
Do you seriously think that Holden or Ford would let anyone else come in and start manufacturing cars that they gave up on as loss makers?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just shows the stupidity of GM management. They were so delusional that an import would be able to just replace all the SS Commodores in the police fleet. I was walking past the local police station on my way to the local library today and there was one falcon in the police line up. All of the rest of the cars are hyundai's or BMW 530D's of which there was probably 15 or so. These would have been all commodores if manufacturing was still in this country. Not a single ZB.

·
Registered
449 Posts
As soon as GM sold Opel to Peugeot they should have reversed the decision to stop manufacturing in Australia. GM had an older car which was selling 2,000 a month minimum and then a newer car comes along with newer technology and is barely even able to do 500 a month. Even after said vehicle was introduced the old car was still outselling the new car significantly.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Even Toyota would be wishing they kept manufacturing in Australia, with the dollar where it is they would be making a killing, plus Camry stock is incredibly hard to get and expensive coming out of Japan.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts