GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
some people already have the view that GM closed manufacturing here to prop up Opel and now the prospect of GM selling Opel is just a kick in guts.
German subsidies propped up Opel. No Aussie subsidies made the decision easy for RenCen. You can guess why the Germans are up in arms. Imagine if GM had done the same in Aus after getting funding from the Fed Govt. I reckon the Feds feel like they dodged a bullet...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
German subsidies propped up Opel. No Aussie subsidies made the decision easy for RenCen. You can guess why the Germans are up in arms. Imagine if GM had done the same in Aus after getting funding from the Fed Govt. I reckon the Feds feel like they dodged a bullet...
Ummm, they were getting Federal funding up until 2019-20... but it wasn't enough obviously. After that who knows.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I wonder if this could lead to Holden and GM fast-tracking non-Opel vehicles such as Equinox and Acadia. They're not mid-sized liftbacks or station wagons, though...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
There are some interesting articles in German Automobilwoche re: Opel's international expansion under PSA.

In summary::
- according to PSA sources, PSA want to keep Opel's German plants
- French PSA plants are covered by current union agreements, therefore they are safe for a few years
- some factories will go very soon, but no forced redundancies this year
- Peugeot want to launch Opel internationally together with Peugeot, Citroen and DS
- the British government is to promise PSA to help Vauxhall with their EV development costs in return for no factory closures - little do they know Vauxhall have no engineering/RD in the UK
- PSA is likely to significantly reduce white collar jobs at both Opel and Vauxhall

My guess is Vauxhall's Vivaro plant will go first, PSA don't need to prop up Renault's coffers. Is there a Vivaro equivalent at Peugeot? The Astra plant is likely to solder on until the next Astra launch.

So I guess Holden can say goodbye to any further cars from Opel beyond the current Astra and the new Commodore. The new flagship SUV probably won't happen, Holden will need to source the Buick equivalent instead (Enclave) provided GM can figure out how to implement RHD. The source for the next Barina will also need to change.

Holden are fcuked. But the more I think about it, the more sense this merger makes for Opel. At least they won't end up like Saab did.

By the looks of it Vauxhall is likely to join ranks with Holden by becoming only the second automotive brand without any factories.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
There are some interesting articles in German Automobilwoche re: Opel's international expansion under PSA.

In summary::
I could have told you this a while ago. Vauxhall exists as a marketing vehicle for Opel, because it lets bigoted English people (the same ones who voted against their own interest for Brexit) believe they're not buying German cars. Like my uncle, who is convinced his Russelheim-built Vectra was made at Luton.

Once the charade of Opel as a small/medium car powerhouse for GM was exploded, so is it's future. That means, even less care in developing new cars for Holden, at least Opel had some track record making cars for our conditions.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Pity the Punch Group didn't get to buy Elizabeth. They have may had a buyer for their cars locally.
More's the irony. The good PR from freeing Holden out from under GM would have given it a real kick, along with the exciting projects Holden would have had in the pipeline, most of them almost shovel-ready, like the Crewman, new Adventra. Holden could be making money, they could have been re-sourcing suppliers in Australia, attracting some state and federal interest. Instead, PSA is going to pick up a lame duck, and maybe make something out of it, maybe...

·
Registered
326 Posts
The big question is whether GM retains either any or a controlling interest in Opel. I've seen reports suggesting both, and none.

If they do, I see little issue in platform sharing with PSA for large cars. PSA already exist in numerous RHD markets... why is the leap to platform sharing so hard to fathom?

Beyond that, why not the entire range? Why can't Astra and 208 exist on the same platform? And if GM has an active stake, why wouldn't that model co-exist in the Holden range?

I'm not sure I understand the panic and yet more tombstone engraving at this stage when little actual fact is known.

As for the rest of the range... GM has finally stated that RHD development must occur concurrently in all new and redeveloped platforms... so they either knew a clean cut was coming... or they're finally catching up with the rest of the world.

Model sharing with Buick hardly seems like the end of the world...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts