GM Inside News Forum banner

Would you buy an Australian market RHD Camaro?

• Yes

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • I hate GM, don't even ask me.

Votes: 4 10.8%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why not do a poll on this? I know emotions are high about what's happened with Holden, but just wanted to see a show of hands.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
I voted maybe because a lot depends on how well or how stupidly GM transitions to imports after local production ends.

If they **** it up and the model line-up is just wrong or uninspired then people will just walk away.

If they pull a couple of happy rabbits out of the hat, just a couple of excellent vehicles well priced, well equipped and built, then maybe people stick around.

;)

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
just guessing but at what price will they ask will do more to make or break it as most US market imports where VERY over priced by the time they got to market
and a V8 Commie/Falcon are very good value pricing wise

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I voted Yes because my daughter would have one in a heartbeat, but with a stack of caveats.

1. A proper factory RHD not a conversion.
2. Would have to be priced in SS territory for a V6 ($50K), Redline territory for a V8 ($60K)
3. Would have to offer a manual.
4. Would need some time to get over my anger at GM and my broken heart at losing our Australian icons.
5. GM would have to take a leaf out of Ford's book and piss or get off the pot. I know I'll be able to buy a Mustang in 2015, NFI about what GM products I'll have access to.
6. Don't sell it as 'the spiritual successor to the Commodore' or any similar bullcrap. Just bring it in as a Chevy and be done with it. Don't even mention Holden's name.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I voted Yes because my daughter would have one in a heartbeat, but with a stack of caveats.

2. Would have to be priced in SS territory for a V6 ($50K), Redline territory for a V8 ($60K)
6. Don't sell it as 'the spiritual successor to the Commodore' or any similar bullcrap. Just bring it in as a Chevy and be done with it. Don't even mention Holden's name.
^^^ These are my amended criteria, thanks isszy. Yes the most important part is in BOLD.

Must remain a Chevrolet no other badges allowed. Most people who are even half interested in cars know what a Camaro is

I voted yes because I don't really need 4 doors, fudge I don't even need more than 2 seats

·
Registered
12,968 Posts

4. Would need some time to get over my anger at GM and my broken heart at losing our Australian icons.
5. GM would have to take a leaf out of Ford's book and piss or get off the pot. I know I'll be able to buy a Mustang in 2015, NFI about what GM products I'll have access to.
Spot on

It has to be good it has to have zero compromises and don't piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining

·
Registered
11,887 Posts

^^^ These are my amended criteria, thanks isszy. Yes the most important part is in BOLD.

Must remain a Chevrolet no other badges allowed. Most people who are even half interested in cars know what a Camaro is

I voted yes because I don't really need 4 doors, fudge I don't even need more than 2 seats

So you guys wouldn't be interested in the secret variant restyled by the Holden Design Centre as a Monaro.....? :D

;)

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
So you guys wouldn't be interested in the secret variant restyled by the Holden Design Centre as a Monaro.....? :D

;)
Stop it or I'll cry...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would buy one in a heart beat. Has to remain a Chevrolet though. As far as it being a coupe goes my wifes car is the family car (captiva) used to haul the kidlets around in. My cars are merely playthings that can be used to transport the family if needed so it makes no difference to me.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I voted No. For me a Camaro can never take the place of a real Monaro, in my heart nor in my driveway. I drove a current one briefly, LHD engineering car, odd to drive on RHD streets, and better than I thought it would be to see out of but still not a modern car in any way (a Monaro was never retro, Gen 4 aka Coupe 60 was a truly contemporary coupe in the correct tradition ☺). The VF SS I drove then too seemed very modern in comparison. Of course I would never need another coupe as big as a Coupe 60 or current Camaro either, and space inside in the latter isn't really efficiently used (the upcoming one may be better sized, but somehow I doubt it will be any better inside as it will still play to the tune of the United States not to the United Nations). So for lots of reasons I wouldn't buy one.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts

I voted a solid "maybe", for a lot of the reasons Isszy lists. Potentially yes I would buy one if I'm fishing in that pond at that time. But remember GM, Mustang is close to being the only Ford I'd buy... And I'm already mentally lining up the ecoboost against the 86/BRZ - even though V8 is where my heart lies.

I agree if they bring it in I'd struggle with it being called a Holden Camaro, like the Mustang a Camaro is one of the few Chevrolet badged vehicles I would buy. I shudder that they'd be arrogant enough to try to force it on us as a $100k backyard conversion, it would be dead in the market if they try that crap on. And guys, it is not a Monaro.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.