GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AUSTRALIA: General Motors Holden to probe potential market for sporty truck concept
10 Feb 2004
Source: just-auto.com editorial team

General Motors’ Australian Holden operation will surely want US-based company ‘car czar’ Bob Lutz to take time out from temporarily running GM Europe to consider a prototype that could be an ideal 21st century replacement for the old car-based Chevrolet El Camino pickup once built in the US.

Full Article Here:

Just-Auto.com website

Image courtesy just-auto.com

·
Registered
94 Posts
If they build it in the US, it would have to have an optional V8, making at least 340hp and sell for about $23k (for the base 6). It needs to be a 4-5 seater and it must get good gas mileage or else it will not sell well after a few years in the US.

It must have a GTO like interior, and it has to come in several trim levels, such as a high strung N/A V6, and of course a high end V8. It must also be RWD and not have an option for AWD.

It should also be built for Pontiac and not Chevy since this is exactly where GM wants Pontiac to be. Yeah, I know "El Camino" but it makes the most sense selling it as a Pontiac.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by LegendNH@Feb 10 2004, 10:32 PM
If they build it in the US, it would have to have a V8, making at least 340hp and sell for about $23k (for the base 6). It needs to be a 4-5 seater and it must get good gas mileage or else it will not sell well after a few years in the US.

It must have a GTO like interior, and it has to come in several trim levels, such as a high strung N/A V6, and of course a high end V8. It must also be RWD and not have an option for AWD.

It should also be built for Pontiac and not Chevy since this is exactly where GM wants Pontiac to be. Yeah, I know "El Camino" but it makes the most sense selling it as a Pontiac.
your talking crayzy talk.

i dont think it would need all of that to be successful. just the name el comino would sell quite a few, but your right that after a few years sales might decline. but yeah it wouldnt have to have everything you mentioned 340hp is crazy high

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
"the custom body was created using advanced composite panel technology, which lends itself to the lightweight tooling and flexible manufacturing processes that are required for cost-effective low volume production."

Sounds like it would have fiberglass or polymer panels... eh... not sure if that would work well... :blink:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by Smilingoat+Feb 10 2004, 05:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smilingoat @ Feb 10 2004, 05:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LegendNH@Feb 10 2004, 10:32 PM
If they build it in the US, it would have to have a V8, making at least 340hp and sell for about $23k (for the base 6). It needs to be a 4-5 seater and it must get good gas mileage or else it will not sell well after a few years in the US.

your talking crayzy talk.

i dont think it would need all of that to be successful. just the name el comino would sell quite a few, but your right that after a few years sales might decline. but yeah it wouldnt have to have everything you mentioned 340hp is crazy high [/b][/quote]
why is 340hp crazy? The GTO seems to be doing just fine with that kind of power

if car enthusiasts built cars to sell for the masses, they would be bankrupt before the first car left the assembly line.

Most mustang sales come from the 6 cyl variant, not the V8 that everyone wants. We all don't live in a theoretical world.

·
Registered
790 Posts
if you push everything you talked about into that car you would deffenently push the price well over 30k like the GTO, without the status symbol. and nobody that would want it for the truck would be willing to pay that, they would just go get a full size or a colorado/ranger/tacoma

the price of this needs to be low, most likely below the colorad/canyon if it needs to be successful, most people wont get this because its the a cool little car truck thing. they will get it because they want the fuel econemy of a car with a bed, and with the S10 gone GM needs it. but if they charge 30 there is no way they would sell many of them, its not a hotrod, the SSR is the hotrod for chevy.

·
Registered
790 Posts
and one more thing, if you put a real back seat in it youll end up with another baja, and gm doesnt need another one of those.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by Smilingoat@Feb 11 2004, 12:53 AM
and one more thing, if you put a real back seat in it youll end up with another baja, and gm doesnt need another one of those.

I think the Holden Crewman Cross is nicer than the concept... the question is: is there a market for a vehicle like these? And is this too much like the Baja?

See the rebadge:

Chevy car-based pickup?

·
Registered
790 Posts
the bed is a little short, but it is a very nice car. they just need to make the bed bigger and take away the extended cab. otherwise it will either be the size of a deville, or it will have too short of a bed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am all for a new El Camino, but I am not willing to pay the 25% tariff for one built in Australia. I think that the Holden products are really nice looking and good performing. It is very possible that Holden has perfected the true American car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Everyting people have asked for is provided by holden. We have a 2-5 seater ute or pick up, we have powerful v6s (new HFV6), powerful V8 LS1, 2-4 door, RWD or 4WD, with GTO interiors, and great handling. As for the 25% tariff? look at the free trade deal between aust and US= a win win for guys that want utes in the US.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Down here in the Ol' South (US) we would say...
"Damn Strait, Jack."

Free trade and more Holdens...yee haw.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's 2004. For the love of progress, please no more mullets, and please, no more El Camino's... :flush:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts