GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some opinions/thoughts from those that have owned 1 or both.

Im tossing up between a VE series 2 Calais V or a VF SV6 for my next car, the VE im looking at is a MY12.5, the VF a 2014, so im just wondering if there were any early build issues on the VF's? Im assuming with the MY12.5 being last of the VE's build quality might have been better, but with both being 5-6 years old now it might not make much diff anymore. 1 thing that has me curious, the VF is listed as build date november 2013 but release date october 2014, why the big gap??

Having trouble deciding which to go for, love the look of the Calais V, the SV6 looks awesome to, just the VE interior is way behind the VF.

So if you have owned or driven one or both, would love to hear your opinion on them. Im finally upgrading from my VT, which ive loved, so no doubt both will feel like major step up.

Mods put this in whichever thread it needs to go to.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
I hear people complain about the HVAC in VF's as the heater unit is not Aussie made so complete rubbish

The Calais V should have a fairly decent infotainment interface if that interests you at all as the only real advantage to VF is a nicer looking interface

If they're both V6's there is pretty much zero difference

The only way I'd buy a VF over a VE would be mileage and if its a V8 you could get an LS3 vs an L98

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just upgraded my 2007 VE Calais V to low km 2014 Calais V. Very happy with the car although a couple of small things annoy.
I personally didn't like the interior changes they did with VE Series 2, looked quite cheap compared to the Series 1 VE Calais.
Haven't driven a Series 2 VE on the softer suspension change but can say on the odd occasion I wish my VF was a touch firmer. SV6 might be the way to go, although I find that model a bit basic feature wise compared to Calais V

·
Premium Member
18,183 Posts
Probably too late to the party. I've owned MY11 VEII SV6 and MY15 VFII Black edition SV6. I always but series II just to make sure they've had ample time to fix version gremlins. VFII is much more responsive and sounds sweeter than VEII but I like the older version seats, and steering. Both are softer than I would like and I don't like the bling on the VF (which is why I bought a black edition. For me, the Calais V would be the pick and I'd just live with the older interior design. Having said that, I also don't really fancy the chrome trim on the front.

In short, the VEII feels a little more analogue than VF, but I could live with it because of the cleaner design and slight better feel.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably too late to the party. I've owned MY11 VEII SV6 and MY15 VFII Black edition SV6. I always but series II just to make sure they've had ample time to fix version gremlins. VFII is much more responsive and sounds sweeter than VEII but I like the older version seats, and steering. Both are softer than I would like and I don't like the bling on the VF (which is why I bought a black edition. For me, the Calais V would be the pick and I'd just live with the older interior design. Having said that, I also don't really fancy the chrome trim on the front.

In short, the VEII feels a little more analogue than VF, but I could live with it because of the cleaner design and slight better feel.
Its all good i appreciate the reply, im still looking actually, i decided on the VE over the VF, always wanted to own a Calais, within few days of deciding, the VF got sold and i was unable to go see the VE till following week it sold that weekend lol but its all good, the Calais was white and ive owned a white VT for nearly 10 years now so i can keep looking for the karma colour i really want and there really isnt many in series 2, even less with the white interior option id like to have to.

Since you got both a VE and VF, is the mylink in the VE good? I know they changed it in VF, i heard there had been some issues with it.

·
Premium Member
18,183 Posts
They're both average! I seem to remember the VE dropping out more often, but VF seems to have problems with recognising phones after a service. I did like that the VE had an internal hard drive to store music.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts

Its all good i appreciate the reply, im still looking actually, i decided on the VE over the VF, always wanted to own a Calais, within few days of deciding, the VF got sold and i was unable to go see the VE till following week it sold that weekend lol but its all good, the Calais was white and ive owned a white VT for nearly 10 years now so i can keep looking for the karma colour i really want and there really isnt many in series 2, even less with the white interior option id like to have to.

Since you got both a VE and VF, is the mylink in the VE good? I know they changed it in VF, i heard there had been some issues with it.
A bit late to the party.
I went VE2 SV6 to VF Calais v6 both sedans, to VF2 SV6 wagon.

Either of those 2 sedans are my best ever car, toss a coin. If pushed I might go to the Calais for the win.
If reality didn’t intrude I’d be looking for a VF Calais V V8 to replace my current SV6 wagon... just to keep forever and drive to bowls if I ever take that up. :)
Unfortunately reality will intrude, I’ll just have to win Lowndes Monaro.
Hope this helps a little.

Reactions: chinamonty

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I had a manual VF S1 SV6. I loved it, but it was spoiled by the electric park brake (stupid idea on a manual) and crappy HVAC. I loved the interior, the autoclose sunroof. I would have loved the HUD, which my wife has in her 318. I didn't mind Mylink, I think it was easier to use than the Audi and BMW versions my wife has had, and was more useable than the Subaru/Toyota version in my WRX.

I probably love the WRX a little more though...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I barely been on this site the last few years, but i finally bought a red VE Berlina International sportwagon, took bit over 2 years from when i started thinking about a newer car to getting one, started wanting a sedan then few months in decided on a wagon, missed out on a few cause of working weekends and not being able to go see them, then covid and then prices went stupid, my VT was still on road so it didnt matter to much to me if i missed one, next time i wash it ill take a few pics. Also need to decide what to do with the VT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts