Camry.... 44K ..... 326K
Accord... 44K ..... 291K
F150...... 40K ..... 360K
Civic...... 30K ..... 264K
Corolla... 29K ..... 258K

·
Registered
962 Posts
Why is Nissan going against the trend? I just don't get it--is the Versa and Sentra moving that well? If anything I thought Honda would be the only one in the UP column.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Why is Nissan going against the trend? I just don't get it--is the Versa and Sentra moving that well? If anything I thought Honda would be the only one in the UP column.
The Xterra SUV and Frontier midsize pickup led a strong month for truck sales, with increases of 76.9 percent and 55.5 percent, respectively, over year-ago levels.

Sales of Nissan cars combined for 49,394 units, an increase of 0.6 percent from the prior year, while truck sales increased 32.7 percent to 48,023 units.
I have no idea how to explain this.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Easy explanation.

I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about his father's brand new Pathfinder. $12,000 out the door with tax and title... no trade.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Easy explanation.

I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about his father's brand new Pathfinder. $12,000 out the door with tax and title... no trade.
Are you serious? And we thought GM was giving SUV's away! So Nissan's revival is mostly to do with dumping some of their lagging SUVs. It's a great time to be a buyer right now of certain SUV's.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Easy explanation.

Are you serious? And we thought GM was giving SUV's away! So Nissan's revival is mostly to do with dumping some of their lagging SUVs. It's a great time to be a buyer right now of certain SUV's.
Japan's third-largest automaker, gained 14 percent, its fifth advance this year. Its gains were led by the revamped Maxima sedan and Rogue crossover, a vehicle that combines the features of a sedan and sport-utility vehicle, Nissan brand chief Al Castignetti said in a telephone interview.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Sports car maker Porsche said U.S. sales plunged 45 percent as demand for its Boxster plummeted and supplies of its 911 dwindled ahead of a replacement version due this month.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Perhaps Nissan is rolling in the Rogue with "truck" sales.

The Rogue is a Sentra on stilts, for those unfamiliar. It has a small 4-cyl engine and strong fuel economy. Nissan has never sold a huge number of trucks anyway, so throwing Rogue sales in there, despite plummeting full-size sales, could make for a giant percentage bump.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought the silverado beat the f-150 this month. unless i am reading it wrong?

Yep, the above numbers reflect 'the others' but to be precise the Silverado-CK was No 1 overall in total units sold in August with 56K and 3rd overall YTD with 320K units sold.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Is Nissan dumping into fleets? If not, maybe that Ghosn ain't so bad?
(you may now begin foaming at the mouth)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think Honda would have been flat had it not been for the Fit changeover. They were on a trajectory to sell 14k+ Fits and sold less than 5k, which I presume is because the new ones haven't filled the pipeline yet.

If they had sold the same number of Fits as last month, they would have been virtually even year-over-year in sales.

I was helping a friend car shop on Monday at the largest auto mall in California, and every dealer was absolutely dead except for Honda. They had one (1) Fit on the lot. The place was absolutely hopping and inventory was very, very thin.

The BPG dealer where we spent quite some time was really dead though. Trucks piled on top of trucks piled on top of SUVs. They had a loaded '07 Rainier for $12,800 and a loaded '05 Silverado extended cab 4x4 for $11,800. Both less than 30k miles. They tried like hell to sell us a new '08 G6 for $14,000.

The Dodge dealer was trying to sell my friend an '08 Avenger with a sticker near $20,000 for...wait for it...$13,995 with a $600 gas card and free oil changes. Brand new!

Ford was doing ok schlepping the hideous new Focus, but they had Flexes stacked ten deep and 30 across. They were wise in that they didn't have any of the big stuff on the front line, just a small patch of SUVs and pickups, everything else up front was compact, whether new or used.

Unless you're a Honda or Toyota dealer, I have no idea how one could make money selling cars right now. Nothing big is moving. Shoot, nothing medium-sized is moving either, unless you're Honda.

I don't know how GM will handle this storm. They weren't turning a profit this time last year when they weren't giving employee pricing + rebates and were moving 15% more metal. How they're gonna make one red cent with all this discounting nonsense, the credit crunch, and gobs of cash pouring into the non-profit Volt is beyond me. Well, it's probably beyond Rick too.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Wow,Accord tied with Camry? Doesn't Toyota have 2 US plants making the Camry? Honda only has one in Ohio and filler coming from Japan.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Silverado. 56K .....320K
Camry.... 44K ..... 326K
Accord... 44K ..... 291K
F150...... 40K ..... 360K
Civic...... 30K ..... 264K
Corolla... 29K ..... 258K

There, amended.
Wait, I thought NOBODY was buying trucks anymore? Am I missing something?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts