GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Confused by the relentless avalanche of niche models coming from Germany? Now Audi is seriously thinking of introducing a four-door TT. With the debut of the new TT and TTS hardtops in Geneva earlier this year, as well as the more recent debut of the convertible model, Audi has ticked the same body style boxes as the first two generations of TT. Unlike those earlier examples, though, the German luxury manufacturer has provided a slow and steady parade of concepts showing off possible directions for the TT. http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/24/audi-tt-sportback-concept-leaked-paris/

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
I don't like the TT that much, but Audi's plan for a "TT family" is very intriguing, and something I'm like to see at GM.

You could conceivably have a driveway full of Audi TTs, fulfilling all of your needs. A convertible, a sedan, and a crossover.

Brands within brands always interest me. What could GM expand or create for this?

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Looks like a fastback version of the A3.

I don't see the point since the back seat appears to be useless but the clean, geometric styling is nice.
The rear seating would probably be very similar to the current Chevy Volt. Certainly compromised by design but still usable.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Looks like a fastback version of the A3.

I don't see the point since the back seat appears to be useless but the clean, geometric styling is nice.
Possibly a customer such as myself that doesn't often use the rear seat but prefers the convenience of a rear seat with an extra pair of doors. Likely a similar concept (on a larger scale) for A7s, 6GCs, etc.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I don't like the TT that much, but Audi's plan for a "TT family" is very intriguing, and something I'm like to see at GM.

You could conceivably have a driveway full of Audi TTs, fulfilling all of your needs. A convertible, a sedan, and a crossover.

Brands within brands always interest me. What could GM expand or create for this?
I could see the Regal being worked into this somehow. It already has the sedan and wagon (overseas). I would think it could be the basis for a nice coupe and convertible also. Just a thought.

Reactions: rockyspaw

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Possibly a customer such as myself that doesn't often use the rear seat but prefers the convenience of a rear seat with an extra pair of doors. Likely a similar concept (on a larger scale) for A7s, 6GCs, etc.
It works on a larger scale because you can put actual people back there in the A7. I guess it would be handy for my dog. I prefer to keep his slobber and hair confined to the back seat and it's easier for him to get in through a rear door than squeeze himself between a seat and B-pillar.

Like the personal luxury coupes of the 1970s, this 4-door sedan trend will probably wither away at some point. Of all brands to attempt a 4DC including MB's CLS, Porsche's Panamera, and BMW's 6-series Gran Coupe, Audi's A7 by far has the most elegant execution.

I see no reason why we can't have a four-door C8 Corvette.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
More coupes...not ANOTHER sedan!

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
It works on a larger scale because you can put actual people back there in the A7.
Absolutely. But on something like the CLA-Class, I imagine the typical owner doesn't really need the setup for people, at least not very often. It's a convenience factor. For that buyer, the A4 looks downright boring in comparison and the decision is easy. Or, you know, that TT owner that gets a family. :rolleyes:

Like the personal luxury coupes of the 1970s, this 4-door sedan trend will probably wither away at some point.
Yes, I'm sure it will. Then again, I think some had expected SUVs to decline but instead have morphed into something else (largely, crossovers). But I don't know what a four door coupe would become? Oh wait, a SEDAN!

I see no reason why we can't have a four-door C8 Corvette.
Speaking of GM and potential "families", a Corvette family would probably sell crazily well. Purists will hurl at the idea, but imagine a Corvette that was a bit higher with a different roofline, five inch longer wheelbase, and four doors. I am not joking, I bet they'd double Vette sales, especially with an AWD option for the sedan alone. Sounds insane, and maybe it is, but the key to selling a 50-80K Chevy sedan is in instead highlighting the Corvette name in the marketing. They could literally get E-Class money for it and sell 3,000+ a month just because of the name and performance associated with such an icon. Audi could only dream of selling as many A6s. This is all banking on the Corvette and performance, so a 50K Alpha+ Chevy or Buick would not have these advantages. But there you have it: coupe, convertible, and sedan.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Speaking of GM and potential "families", a Corvette family would probably sell crazily well. Purists will hurl at the idea, but imagine a Corvette that was a bit higher with a different roofline, five inch longer wheelbase, and four doors. I am not joking, I bet they'd double Vette sales, especially with an AWD option for the sedan alone. Sounds insane, and maybe it is, but the key to selling a 50-80K Chevy sedan is in instead highlighting the Corvette name in the marketing. They could literally get E-Class money for it and sell 3,000+ a month just because of the name and performance associated with such an icon. Audi could only dream of selling as many A6s. This is all banking on the Corvette and performance, so a 50K Alpha+ Chevy or Buick would not have these advantages. But there you have it: coupe, convertible, and sedan.
I abhor that idea...but you may be right. I bet many current Corvette owners would love to have a matching or complimentary Corvette sedan for those days when it's more than just one or two.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I love the rear, I hate the front, the Front wheel should be moved forward a lot more, with a longer hood. it would be killer then.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts

They already had this. But they killed it.

There was a model range that had SWB & LWB sedan, wagon, coupe, SUV, pickup, RWD, AWD, V6 and V8. GM decided to shut production of that model range down by 2017.

Reactions: Amphibian

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
They already had this. But they killed it.

There was a model range that had SWB & LWB sedan, wagon, coupe, SUV, pickup, RWD, AWD, V6 and V8. GM decided to shut production of that model range down by 2017.
Fair. I wasn't aware it came in AWD. I thought Zeta has the capacity for it, but it was just never taken advantage of.

This would make even more sense: a hatchback. Means more boot space as well as more headroom for the rear passengers.

Feast your eyes, on the Audi allroad Shooting Brake.

They beat you and designrm.wordpress.com to it.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
AWD SUV

AWD Pickup

AWD Performance car

All of these were in production as VY/VZ Holdens and were being developed for zeta but killed off by GM before release.

Reactions: sfbreh
1 - 20 of 27 Posts