GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my brother is soon going to replace is really old TL with around 250k miles that's I'm pretty sure is going to break anytime now...
Anyhow, he really likes the looks and the size of the astra, as he's going to go to a university at downtown LA area.

However, he was disappointed to find out that it's only offered with one engine choice with 138hp. So, any of you guys know if astra would come with a Redline version for 2009 or 2010 model year?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I highly doubt it with this current model that there will be a redline version. We're going to have to wait and see what the next generation will have in terms of engine choices.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I highly doubt it with this current model that there will be a redline version. We're going to have to wait and see what the next generation will have in terms of engine choices.
ya thats pretty much what should happen. No plans for new engines in 09.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Maybe he should shop the HHR/HHR SS. It has plenty of power.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, no redline version anytime soon =/

Thanks for the suggestion PA Dweller, but he much prefers the styling of the Astra. I guess we're at least going to give the Astra a test drive before making any conclusions!

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Ah, no redline version anytime soon =/

Thanks for the suggestion PA Dweller, but he much prefers the styling of the Astra. I guess we're at least going to give the Astra a test drive before making any conclusions!
Yea the HHR styling isn't for everyone. Good luck in your friends search for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
When I test drove the car back in February, I thought the car had plenty of power; but that could be just me. It gets good gas milage. A dealership near me marked a good number os Astras down. Too bad Saturn doesn't haggle a price, but since the Astra isn't selling well, who knows.

Does anyone know if dealerships are willing to work out a price for the Astra?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, we test drove it, and he decided to buy it. To our surprise, even though this car isn't fast by any means, it seems faster than 138 hp. He got it in red with the 5 spd and dual sunroof. So far so good!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
A lot of Americans hear anything less than 200 horsepower and they freak. Both the Astra and the Civic (and their competitors) with the "weaker" engine have plenty of get up and go for most people.

Honestly, I rarely use the power my Si has under the hood unless I'm passing on the freeway, or bored when I'm merging on the freeway and feel like having some fun. Other than that, less horsepower would be fine.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
A lot of Americans hear anything less than 200 horsepower and they freak. Both the Astra and the Civic (and their competitors) with the "weaker" engine have plenty of get up and go for most people.

Honestly, I rarely use the power my Si has under the hood unless I'm passing on the freeway, or bored when I'm merging on the freeway and feel like having some fun. Other than that, less horsepower would be fine.
If you live in a hilly area like mine you will need that 200 HP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts