GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A letter sent to GM France on the 11th June 2008 by recorded delivery (so I know they have received it!). I have received no reply directly from them.
Since this letter was sent it has been confirmed that I need a new compressor and that it will cost in the region of 1000 euros - I don't have 1000 euros! GM France have communicated to the Garage that they will not entertain contributing to the cost of the compressor because the car is out of warranty. The car is under 4 years old, has done 36000kms and has been regularly serviced by Opel. I am disgusted that I have had so many problems with it and that GM France are effectively ignoring me.

11th june 2008

General Motors France
Service Relation Clientele
1 Avenue Du Marais
BP 10084
95101 ARGENTEUIL CEDEX

Dear Sir or Madam
Objet: Opel Astra 1.6 Elegance
Numero d’Identification du Vehicule :

I took delivery of the above vehicle in October 2004 from Bergerac Auto Service, 24100 Bergerac.

On Tuesday 2nd November 2004 the klaxon began to sound involuntarily and the radio volume increased on its own. This happened again on the the following days so the car was returned to the dealer for investigation. At this stage they could find nothing major wrong with the car but changed a part thinking this would solve the problem. Unfortunately, it did not and the same problems occurred again. The car was returned to the dealer once again and left there for further investigation. When the car was returned to me I was informed that the steering wheel had be replaced as the fault was there.

Since that time the car has been regularly serviced by Bergerac Auto Service, it’s first major service at 30,000kms being done in January 2008.

I then received a recall on the car to replace a part which was done on 16th May 2008. Just before this I had noticed that the air conditioning was not working and, after checking that the fuse had not blown, signaled this to the mechanic who was dealing with the recall. He changed/replaced a fuse and I took the car but noticed that the air conditioning was still not working. I went straight back to the garage and the mechanic gave me another appointment to look at the problem.
On the 24th May the mechanic spent over two hours investigating the problem and told me he thought he may have found the fault. He said he would have to order the part and another appointment was made.

On 2nd June the car was taken back to the dealer, the new part was fitted but the air conditioning still did not work. The mechanic made another appointment for me for 10th June where he cleared his diary for the day to investigate the problem fully as he thought the compressor may not be working.
On 3rd June I noticed that my cruise control was no longer working and then I was flagged down on my way home from collecting my daughter from Lycee to be told that my stop lights were permanently on. I immediately phoned the dealer, alerted them to the situation and took the car back to them. The mechanic spent about an hour with the car before realizing that it was not a problem that could be solved quickly. I left the car with them and Monsieur Cerdan kindly lent me a vehicule in which to get home.
I returned to the garage today to find out the latest situation on my car. The stop lights have been switched off – a missing fuse apparently – but the problem with the air conditioning remains.
I am writing to you because I have now lost total confidence in this car and am very disappointed that I have experienced so many problems with it. I feel that I am probably the owner of a rogue car and that it will never be right

I feel that the onus is now upon General Motors France to take this matter in hand and to sort out a solution that will satisfy all parties concerned.

I have a car that I no longer trust to be driven safely and the dealer is spending a great deal of time and money trying to fix the problem.

Would you please take this matter up with both myself and Bergerac Auto Service and suggest a way forward for an extremely unhappy and frustrated client.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully

Le 11 juin 2008

General Motors France
1 Avenue Du Marais
BP 10084
95101 ARGENTEUIL CEDEX

Madame/Monsieur,

J’ai pris livraison de la voiture ci-dessus en octobre 2004 de Auto Service, 35 avenue de Bergerac 24100 Bergerac.

Mardi 2 novembre 2004, le klaxon a commencé à se déclencher involontairement et le volume de la radio augmentait tout seul. Ceci a continué les jours suivants, alors la voiture est retournée au garagiste pour plus d’enquête. A ce stade, ils ne sont pas trouvés de problème majeur avec la voiture mais ils ont changé une pièce pensant que cela résoudra le problème.
Malheureusement, cela n’a pas été le cas, et les problèmes ont continué. La voiture est retournée au garagiste encore une fois et laissé pour encore plus d’enquête dessus. Quand la voiture m’a été rendue, j’ai été informé que le volant a été remplacé comme le défaut s’y trouvé.

Depuis cela, la voiture a été régulièrement ramenée pour une révision à Bergerac Auto Service. Sa première grande révision à 30 000 km était en janvier 2008.

J’ai ensuite reçu un rappel pour la voiture pour remplacé une pièce. Cela a été fait le 16 mai 2008. Juste avant, j’ai remarqué que l’air climatisé ne marchait plus et après avoir vérifié que le fusible marchait toujours, je l’ai signalé au mécanicien qui s’occupait de la voiture le jour du rappel. Il a remplacé le fusible et j’ai repris la voiture, mais je remarqua que l’air climatisé ne marchait toujours pas. Je suis retourné immédiatement au garagiste et le mécanicien me donna de nouveau un rendez-vous pour chercher où était le problème.
Le 24 mai, le mécanicien passa environ deux heures sur la voiture pour rechercher la source du problème et m’avertit qu’il pensa avoir trouvé le problème. Il m’a dit qu’il devra commander une pièce et de nouveau un rendez vous fut pris.

Le 2 juin, la voiture fut ramenée au garagiste, la nouvelle pièce fut mise, mais l’air climatisé ne marcha toujours pas. Le mécanicien fit un autre rendez-vous pour le 10 juin, où il changea ces précédents rendez-vous, pour prendre la journée pour trouver le problème, en pensant que le problème pouvait être le compresseur qui ne marchait plus.
Le 3 juin, j’ai remarqué que mon régulateur de vitesse ne fonctionnait plus puis une voiture derrière moi, m’a fait de nombreux appel lumineux après que je suis allée chercher ma fille au lycée. Il m’a fait remarquer que mes feux de stops étaient constamment allumés. J’ai immédiatement appeler le garagiste, pour leur avertir du problème et je leur ai ramené la voiture. Le mécanicien regarda et chercha le problème pendant environ une heure, et conclus que ça n’allait pas être un problème facile et rapidement résolu. Je leur ai laissé la voiture Je suis retourné voir le garagiste aujourd’hui (le 11 juin) pour connaître la situation sur ma voiture. Les feux de stops ont étaient réglé, apparemment un fusible manquait. Mais le problème avec l’air climatisé persiste toujours.
Je vous écris parce que j’ai totalement perdu ma confiance dans cette voiture, et je suis très déçu que j’ai fais l’expérience d’autant de problèmes. J’ai l’impression que je suis en possession d’un véhicule défectueux et que le problème en lui-même ne sera jamais réglé.

Je ressens que le fardeau repose maintenant sur General Motors France, qui devrait prend en main l’affaire et trouver une solution qui satisfera toutes les parties impliquées.

J’ai maintenant une voiture dans laquelle je ne me sens plus en sécurité et le vendeur passe beaucoup de temps et d’argent pour essayer de trouver une solution au problème cité ci-dessus.

Pouvez vous vous occuper de ce problème avec Bergerac Auto Service et moi-même et trouver une solution pour une cliente tout à fait mécontente et frustrée.

J’espère que vous me contacterez très bientôt.

Je vous prie d’agréer, Madame/Monsieur, mes salutations distinguées.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In France?!!! :confused:
Unfortunately such bodies don't exist here - either you get things sorted by yourself or you have to take the matter to court - which is a long and costly business taking perhaps years to solve.
This is why I am appealing to GM themselves although they seem to have no wish to communicate with me.

Lucinda

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
That is pretty bad that there is no consumer support company out there to help people with situations like this.
Its tough to read through everything, but it sounds like you have a case. Sorry to hear you guys dont have some sort of organization that will help you in cases like this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the next letter sent yesterday by registered post.................I have also left two communications on the GM France website which, to date, they have also ignored. Without the assistance of any consumer body this is tough work. If push comes to shove it looks like I may have to engage an Avocat (barrister) to try to take this to court.
The irony is that we are considering purchasing an MPV for my business - GM have the perfect solution in their Combo. Would I touch it with a barge pole? I would NOT!! For the lack of customer care GM are pushing a client who has purchased two vehicles from them in the last four years into the arms of Citroen or Renault.............I rest my case!

1st July 2008

General Motors France
1 Avenue Du Marais
BP 10084
95101 ARGENTEUIL CEDEX

Dear Sir or Madam,

Further to my letter of 11th June 2008 (copy enclosed), to which I have not received a reply, I am writing to you again concerning the air conditioning failure in my car.

I was told by Autoservice Bergerac on 19th June that GM France would not replace the compressor in my car and that their initial estimate (copy enclosed) of 730.58 euros to carry out this work was wrong and that the actual price would be 995.06 euros.

I requested that a copy of this refusal be sent to me so that I could follow the matter up and was assured that it would be sent to me. It wasn’t. I have today visited the Garage and have been given a copy of the refusal (copy enclosed) with the contact details blanked out.

I must take issue with you about this refusal.

My car has only just had its first major service at 30,000kms but has been serviced regularly each year by Autoservice Bergerac.

The email clearly states that the maintenance of the air conditioning has not been respected. I do not know quite what this means or how someone who has not even seen the car can possibly know this.

My car has never been touched by anyone other than an Opel mechanic and I have placed my trust in him or her to maintain the car in tiptop condition. Therefore, if the air conditioning has not been maintained it is down to Opel (GM France) and not down to me.

Would you please explain to me exactly how the air conditioning has not been maintained?

Would you also explain to me why GM France feel that it is my responsibility to spend another 1000 euros on an option that should function for many years and not fail within four years?

I am totally disgusted with your dismissive attitude particularly as I have become aware that I am just one of many who are having similar problems with the Astra. Your treatment of an existing client (twice!!) is not something to recommend to anyone considering buying on of your vehicles.

Would you please take this matter in hand with no further delay and respond to my letter.

I look forward to hearing from you without further delay.
Yours faithfully

Le 1 juillet 2008

General Motors France
1 Avenue Du Marais
BP 10084
95101 ARGENTEUIL CEDEX

Madame/Monsieur,

Suite à ma lettre du 11 juin 2008 (document ci joint), auquel je n’ai reçu aucune réponse, Je vous écris de nouveau concernant la panne de climatisation de ma voiture.

Autoservice Bergerac m’a informé le 19 juin que GM France ne remplacerait pas le compresseur de ma voiture et que leur estimation du prix (document ci joint) de 730,58 euros pour le remplacer était en fait faux, et que le vrai prix serait de 995,06 euros.

J’ai demandé qu’une copie de la lettre de refus me soit envoyée pour que je puisse suivre le problème et on m’a confirmé qu’il me sera envoyé. Mais il ne l’a pas été. J’ai aujourd’hui visité le Garage d’Opel à Bergerac et ils m’ont donné une copie de la lettre de refus (document ci joint) avec les coordonnées effacées.

Je dois prendre ce cas en main et je suis en désaccord avec vous sur ce refus.

Moi voiture vient tout juste d’arriver à sa grande révision de 30 000 km mais a était amené pour un service régulièrement chaque année par Autoservice Bergerac.

L’email indique clairement que l’entretien de la climatisation n’a pas été respecté. Je ne sais pas exactement ce que cela signifie pour vous et je ne comprends pas comment quelqu’un qui n’a jamais vu la voiture peut le savoir.

Ma voiture n’a jamais été touchée par quelqu’un d’autre à part un mécanicien d’Opel et j’ai placé ma confiance en lui ou elle pour garder la voiture en très bon état. Par conséquent, si la climatisation n’a pas était entretenue, c’est la faute d’Opel (GM France) et non la mienne.

Pouvez vous clairement m’expliquer exactement en quoi la climatisation n’a pas était entretenue?

Pouvez vous aussi m’expliquer pourquoi GM France pense que c’est de ma responsabilité de repayer 1000 euros pour une option qui devrait fonctionner pour plusieurs année et non tombé en panne au bout de quatre ans.

Je suis très dégoûté par votre attitude dédaigneuse particulièrement que je me suis rendu compte que je suis une des nombreuses personnes ayant des problèmes avec une Astra. Votre comportement vis à vis d’une cliente ( deuxième fois) n’est pas quelque chose à recommandé à quelqu’un qui pense à acheté une de vos véhicules.

Pouvez vous prendre en main ce cas immédiatement et répondre à ma lettre.

J’espère avoir une réponse dans les moindres délais.

Je vous prie d’agréer, Madame/Monsieur, mes salutations distinguées.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts