GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Arrows" CTS-V Coupe Commercial Debuts
Is Cadillac finally getting its marketing mojo?
www.GMInsideNews.com
January 1, 2011
By: Nick Saporito

During today's Rose Bowl game Cadillac launched another new ad campaign with a new CTS-V Coupe commercial. The new ad--dubbed 'Arrows'--claims the inspiration for the CTS Coupe design was an archer drawing their bow.

While we're not too sure about the reality of the design inspiration claim, the ad is certainly a step up from what Cadillac has been offering over the last few years.

Cadillac also launched another new advert entitled 'Blue Bloods.' The spot is really a slam to the German luxury marquees and solidifies Cadillac as a brash, in-your-face luxury brand.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Great stuff!!!! This is what I think of what Cadillac is about when I drive my CTS coupe. :cool:

For a contrast on where Cadillac was just a few years ago check this out:

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Now they need to have more than just one "star" model available. Notice the only car they advertise is the CTS-V.
I'm not sure where you live, but here in the Chicago area, there are SRX and CTS sedan/coupe commercials (Unwrap a CTS for Christmas) just about every day.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
I never get tired of looking at the Coupe.

The reason why these V commercials work so well is that the product really sets a standard. It's difficult to find a production luxury vehicle that meets, let alone exceeds, the performance of the CTS-V's. There's a lesson in there for GM, I'm sure.

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
the product speaks volumes..Its all about the product..

The ads are cool...but the bottom line is the product kicks @ss!

JMO

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Remember my series of posts about how Cadillac needs to find a way to break through and reach that younger demographic of wealth Americans?

That "Red-Blooded" ad is a good first step in the right direction. Well done Cadillac.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This V-sedan owner approves of both ads, though ad #2 is much better at setting a tone for the brand. My V is certainly "red-blooded" when it needs to be, and refined the rest of the time.

Go Cadillac! Oh yeah.....21k miles of trouble-free motoring now out of my V.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Now, some advertising firm actually gets it. Somebody must have actually been a fan of Cadillac instead of just viewing them as a client. As a graduate with a degree in advertising and design I can honestly say I am impressed. It is great to have good product, and the theme of the second commercial sums up what Cadillac is at the purest level of spirit. Cadillac's aren't snobby, old world, leftside driving, euro sleds with no flavor. A Cadillac is a bit brash, show stopping eye candy,overtly powerful, and attractively and fashionably dripping in luxury. Red-blooded, American. The second commercial sets the tone from here on out.

Great job to the advertising firm, you nailed it.

·
Registered
45,042 Posts
I'm not quite sure what the point of the whole arrows was. OK. The CTS-V Coupe was inspired by an archer. So why were all these arrows following it?

Red Bloods was better. Light years better.

Now the only thing to worry about is the fact that Cadillac doesn't have a consistent product lineup to back up its claims. The brand cannot stand on the shoulders of CTS-V.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
They're OK.

Not great.

Not even interesting.

There is absolutely nothing new about either of them. The same-old-same-old. Quick cuts of cars going fast, with a healthy dose of strobe flashes. No one image on screen for more than a second or two, except for the slow-motion segment of course which remains for 3 or 4 seconds. And the voice (Is that Laurence Fishburne?) subtely running off a set of one-liners. I've seen it a million times.

BFD.

I'm not impressed at all with any of Mr. Ewanicks work so far. I don't think GM is getting its money's worth. Not yet.

And one point about the "Arrows" one; the line about the CTS Coupe being designed after an archer pulling back his bow. The designer of the XLR said the very same thing about that car in 2003. So even THAT isn't original.

That designer was Tom Peters, who left Cadillac to design the latest Kias.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
They're OK.

Not great.

Not even interesting.

There is absolutely nothing new about either of them. The same-old-same-old. Quick cuts of cars going fast, with a healthy dose of strobe flashes. No one image on screen for more than a second or two, except for the slow-motion segment of course which remains for 3 or 4 seconds. And the voice (Is that Laurence Fishburne?) subtely running off a set of one-liners. I've seen it a million times.

BFD.

I'm not impressed at all with any of Mr. Ewanicks work so far. I don't think GM is getting its money's worth. Not yet.

And one point about the "Arrows" one; the line about the CTS Coupe being designed after an archer pulling back his bow. The designer of the XLR said the very same thing about that car in 2003. So even THAT isn't original.

That designer was Tom Peters, who left Cadillac to design the latest Kias.

megeebee,

Everything you have said is correct in my opinion, but remember these commercials are not for enthusiasts per say, but for luxury buyers. Certainly, we as Cadillac fans or owners have our opinions, but in the end it is not for us exclusively, but again for luxury buyers to consider Cadillac for their next luxury purchase.

I like both commercials, but I tend to like the Red Blooded one the most.

JLM

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
I'm not quite sure what the point of the whole arrows was. OK. The CTS-V Coupe was inspired by an archer. So why were all these arrows following it?
Given the length and emphasis on visual impact, I suspect the first commercial is designed specifically to appeal to the visceral side. Arrows shooting skyward with the strongest performer winning the race? Nudge nudge, wink wink...

The second commercial clearly sends the arrow straight to the heart of bourgeois snobbery. It's quite a jab without being too smarmy.

I like both pieces. The appeal is to entirely different crowds - both a tactical move on the part of the advertising agency but also to recognize that Cadillac has crossed the seersucker chasm.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.