GM Inside News Forum banner

Would you try dirt rally driving?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm probably being insulting to the drivers of this car, but that is unintentional. Regardless of the fact that they are consistent class leaders, perhaps the scariest thing for me, is its speed. I'd still give it a red hot go. :D

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Amateurs.

It's the mid 1990's... on a quiet dirt access road to high tension wires, a 1988 Ford Taurus exits a corner in a full four wheel drift, easily pushing 50mph... 3.0 Vulcan screaming, and wescoent shouting out map instructions from the passenger seat. Meanwhile, a 1985 Lincoln Town Car, exhaust long fallen off, exits the same corner in a full drift, 5.0 Windsor roaring like a NASCAR stocker. Giant trunk takes out a sapling on the side of the road, but the Lincoln doesn't even slow down.

Our Taurus was 13-8 on the season... and all 8 times, our friend's F-150 had to tow us out of a mud pit.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i would do it in a second, i love driving and i love racing, if i had the opportunity i would do it without a second thought. same for any racing. ive been around it my whole life.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I've got the right vehicle for it

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Always been a fan of rallying... I plan on doing a couple more ice races this winter, and possibly prepping a car for either circle track or rally (unsure as of now)...

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Hell yeah! I've always thought driving a rough, mountainous, dusty course would be a shload of fun!

Of course I will talk a big game, but I might just soil myself 500 feet into the race.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I've done a few similar things - This is from an Audi Club rally cross day I did. Notice the smashed driving lightts courtesy of a too agressive approach to a spoon drain.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I will compete in the Targa Newfoundland Rally...mark my words!! :yup: It's not really dirt, but I want to do it sooo bad!!

http://www.targanewfoundland.com/

(And I want to do the race in a K-car!)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hey,it's racing,i'd give it a try.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Amateurs.

It's the mid 1990's... on a quiet dirt access road to high tension wires, a 1988 Ford Taurus exits a corner in a full four wheel drift, easily pushing 50mph... 3.0 Vulcan screaming, and wescoent shouting out map instructions from the passenger seat. Meanwhile, a 1985 Lincoln Town Car, exhaust long fallen off, exits the same corner in a full drift, 5.0 Windsor roaring like a NASCAR stocker. Giant trunk takes out a sapling on the side of the road, but the Lincoln doesn't even slow down.

Our Taurus was 13-8 on the season... and all 8 times, our friend's F-150 had to tow us out of a mud pit.
Now that's courage:D I wouldn't be navigator for all the money in the world.....well, maybe ALL the money.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
They have rallys up at Michigan Tech every year, they are always a blast to go watch. You see it always loaded up with subarus, but there are some other neat cars as well, like an S10. Actually we walked past the staging area on year on our way to watch and were able to talk with Travis Pastrana for a little bit. Just a suggestion if people go and watch, dont do it at night at a straight away, that was not really fun. But when we went the next day at a nice S-turn, that was much more exciting, ya some people entered it a little bit to fast. That would be something fun to enter some day, but I would need a different car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts