GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOR RELEASE: April 1, 2004

General Motors Debuts The All-New Pontiac LeMans At New York International Auto Show

DETROIT - General Motors will introduce the Pontiac LeMans at the New York International Auto Show on April 1st.

"This product is what Pontiac is all about - excitement. It symbolizes GM's ongoing mission to refine and strengthen the Pontiac brand," said Gary L. Cowger, president of GM North America. "The Korean made LeMans was a huge hit in the late 1980's and early 1990's, and even today is a prized collectible by automotive enthusiasts and a top choice for the youth 'Tuner' market. We knew our customers would be excited to see the LeMans return to Pontiac dealerships. It is the perfect car for the Pontiac portfolio and establishes Pontiac as a true BMW alternative."

The Pontiac LeMans lineup will include a pair of subcompact models - a stylish four-door and a sporty five-door. Penned by Italdesign, one of Italy's leading design houses, LeMans offers unique exteriors, roomy interiors with elevated seats for comfort and visibility, and a number of features typically found on more expensive vehicles. LeMans will arrive in Pontiac showrooms by the Summer 2004.

"The LeMans will be an excellent choice for customers who want a well-designed, fun-to-drive, high-value vehicle," said Harry Larson, LeMans marketing director. "In addition to providing the value and fuel economy these buyers expect, LeMans will also offer dependability and the support of the nationwide network of Pontiac dealers."

Roomy package, international flair

The LeMans lineup includes a contemporary four-door sedan and a sporty five-door model, created in Giorgetto Giugiaro's renowned Italdesign studios in Turin, Italy.

The stylish LeMans comfortably carries five passengers or seven college students, and its high roof and raised seating provide a sense of extra space and good visibility. LeMans's 97.6-inch wheelbase contributes to a smooth ride and solid feel.

Powerful and nimble

LeMans combines these strong new designs with a powertrain and chassis that provide refined, responsive performance and excellent economy.

LeMans features a pulse pounding, sweat inducing 1.6-liter dual overhead cam 16-valve inline four-cylinder that delivers a whopping 105 hp and 107 lb.-ft. of torque. A deep-skirted block, large intake resonator, dual-muffler exhaust systems and other sound-damping technologies help reduce engine noise, while roller-type hydraulic lifters, a single-belt accessory drive and durable rubber timing belt help reduce the need for routine maintenance.

LeMans' suspension was extensively tested in both Europe and the U.S. and tuned to provide a controlled ride and responsive handling. The front suspension features McPherson struts with a stabilizer bar. The torsion beam rear axle provides good camber control under a wide variety of loads. LeMans is equipped with a standard rack-and-pinion steering system providing nimble handling and enhancing road feel.

Safety features

From the excellent vantage point of its height-adjustable driver seat to the impact-absorbing efficiency of its frame to its standard dual front air bags and available ABS, the LeMans helps provide confident control and peace-of-mind under a wide variety of driving conditions.

"The LeMans is about as safe as you can expect from a car with a 97.6 inch wheelbase," said Cowger.

More-than-expected standard amenities

A variety of features such as air conditioning, power door locks, remote keyless entry and an uplevel stereo with CD player come standard on LS models and are available as options on the base model. Power sunroof and aluminum wheels are a few of the available options.

Special appearance packages are also available and feature fog lamps, bright aluminum 14-inch alloy wheels and mudguards. The five-door LS appearance package also includes a rear spoiler. A GT package includes a 12-inch high aluminum wing, a sport muffler with an NHRA-inspired exhaust note, and optional non-functional hood scoops for a sporty look.

"The LeMans is poised to take the world by storm," said Cowger. "It's the car you knew Pontiac could build."

LeMans will be built in Korea by GMDAT. While pricing will not be announced until closer to introduction, LeMans will be positioned to compete with the Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio and Toyota Echo.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Awe :bounce: some I can't wait 2 see this car!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Had me going for a bit there Ming, but please don't do that to me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
OH GREAT ANOTHER CAR TO BRING DOWN THE PONTIAC BRAND!!! THE OTHER IS THE NEW SUNFIRE------------ LIKE TONY THE TIGER WOULD SAY BUT IN MY OWN WORDS "ITS HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHORRIBLE"BAD IDEA KEEP THE SUNFIRE OVER THAT REBADGED CHEVY COME ON PONTIAC STOP HITTING OFF ON CHEVYS CARS AND MAKE ONE OF YOUR OWN ID RATHER SEE THE PURSUIT THAN SEE THAT LE MANS FUGLY PONTIAC AND DUMB I THOUGHT PONTIAC WAS MOVING OUT OF THE REBADGING AND MOVING INTO THE HIGHER BRACKET CARS.. IF ANYTHING TAKE A SUBARU OR SUZUKI EVEN SAAB IS HITTING OFF ON SUBARU WHY CANT PONTIAC JUST CHANGE THE INTERIOR AND THE EXTERIOR A BIT THEN TAKING A PIECE OF CRAP THAT CHEVYS BUILD TO MAKE A ENTRY LEVEL CAR MIGHT AS WELL JUST LEAVE THE ENTRY LEVEL CAR OFF THE MARKET FOR PONTIAC IF THEYRE GONNA MOVE UPSCALE AND MAKING A NEW LEMANS IS JUST GONNA KILL PONTIAC SALES MIGHT AS WELL JUST SELL THE CHEVY AVEO AT PONTIAC DEALERSHIPS AND SAVE THE EMBARRASSMENT FROM PONTIAC TO BUILD THE LEMANS.....I GUESS THE DIDNT LEARN FROM THE LAST LEMANS

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by carguy2225@Apr 1 2004, 12:26 PM
OH GREAT ANOTHER CAR TO BRING DOWN THE PONTIAC BRAND!!!
You mean to say that you don't agree that: "It is the perfect car for the Pontiac portfolio and establishes Pontiac as a true BMW alternative."

???
:p

·
Registered
248 Posts
Holy s**t that's one sweet car! I'm trading my Z28 in for it! I can't wait...

April Fool's Day is such a blessing/curse at the same time :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts