GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on the way home, I was passing my local Toyota dealership and I heard a voice in my head from the Camry commercial from a year ago - "Trust us, you're going to want one."
On a whim, I decided to drive in to the dealership and see what it was all about. My Pontiac Bonneville SSEi is getting a little old, and even though I still enjoy it, I figured it would be good to trade it in for something new while it was still under 100K miles. Besides, My neighbors have just bought a new Accord and the folks across the street from me bought an Altima, and I'd rather not be the only one with a 4 year old car in my driveway.
So I started walking around the dealership and looking in to prices. Not bad, I suppose - its hard to get anything substantial these days without paying over 20 thousand. I was approached by a salesman and I asked him about rebates.
"We don't do rebates here," he chuckled. "Toyotas stand on their own value. We don't need incentives to sell them."
Well, I had purchased my Bonneville as a demo car, and it had almost 5,000 off of the MSRP when all was said and done (and that was before I started using a GM card), but I was in a Toyota dealership, after all. It's all about the experience.
"Resale value and all that, huh?" I asked.
"Yep," he responded.
"MSRP?"
"Mmm-hmm," he said, looking a little bored, and eyeing a new couple that had walked into the dealership.
I didn't want to miss my chance to follow through with my impulse buy -- a SAFE impulse buy, since it is a Toyota.
I was sold. I stroked the paint on a new metallic red Camry and nodded at him. I was ready for the paperwork.
It was new, smelled great, had a predictable but solid interior. My friends wouldn't ridicule me for buying something they'd never heard of, either. Who needs rebates? I could turn around in 3 weeks and probably sell the car for more than I bought it for. 2 years from now I'd be able to sell my Camry for 3 or 4 thousand more than a comparable GM car.
So I'm the proud owner of a new Camry now, and thinking of buying a TRD body kit or a supercharger or something. I don't know, I'm new to the whole Toyota thing.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This is an April Fools Day joke, right?!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by BRMike@Apr 1 2004, 10:37 AM
This is an April Fools Day joke, right?!
Lemme check my driveway....

What? Where's my Camry?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Funny you should say that. Tuesday morning I was walking to my truck and I said "Where's my Camaro?" Stolen! My girl was taken from me Monday night.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by BRMike@Apr 1 2004, 01:08 PM
Funny you should say that. Tuesday morning I was walking to my truck and I said "Where's my Camaro?" Stolen! My girl was taken from me Monday night.
Ouch! That's no joke!

:(

·
Registered
103 Posts
thanx BRMIKE that is one fast ride ummmm i mean that sucks that someone would take your car hope ya find it

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I am glad you didn't fall asleep on the drive home from the dealership, the Camry should be sold as a sedative, it is one of the most boring cars ever built.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Originally posted by Camaroz28lover@Apr 1 2004, 06:41 PM
thanx BRMIKE that is one fast ride ummmm i mean that sucks that someone would take your car hope ya find it
It may be for the best. I'll soon begin my search for a low mileage 2002 Z28. My Camaro was a 1998 Bright Green Metallic coupe. It only had the 3.8 (couldn't afford insurance! when I bought it). I did have a Borla exhaust system and SS hood and wheels. It looked a whole lot tougher than it was. I just wonder if the bastages who stole it thought it had the LS1 in it........
I can hear them now... "Damn, this SS is slow!"
For the record, the Camaro SS was not offered in Bright Green Metallic. That's according to the Camaro White Book.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Mr_Pringle@Apr 1 2004, 04:39 PM
Sigh of relief as you're picture is in front of an older Camry...  Erg- April Fool's day is going to give me a heart attack.
Good eye! (I typed "Camry Mom" in google search and got a red camry)

Another give away: "I could turn around in 3 weeks and probably sell the car for more than I bought it for."

More than MSRP! :lol:

Still, I thought it sounded like something a Camry buyer would say... :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts