GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK GM doesn't release monthly sales, but here's Ford and Honda for April. Spoiler alert: sales are up a lot compared to pandemic 2020.

Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Honda proving that Sedans still have some place in this world. April didn't look too bad for Ford, but I got a feeling that May is going to look absolutely dreadful with the supply shortages.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Wow, 27K Explorers in April, that's their 2nd bestselling vehicle and by a wide margin. So much for my theory that Ford missed the mark on that one. Lincoln doing really good despite loosing all of its cars. Escape and Bronco Sport selling almost the same. EcoSport didn't get the memo, but apparently retail sales are up 74%, which just tells me it's bad business regardless. Once Maverick is here, just get out of it already, Bronco Sport and Maverick got this covered.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ford is apparently calling Bronco a brand, maybe after the Maverick comes out there will be an additional Bronco pickup to compete with Gladiator?

On their media website, they list Bronco next to Lincoln. Mustang is listed under Vehicles in other words not a brand.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Ford is apparently calling Bronco a brand, maybe after the Maverick comes out there will be an additional Bronco pickup to compete with Gladiator?

On their media website, they list Bronco next to Lincoln. Mustang is listed under Vehicles in other words not a brand.

All depends on the site, the main Ford.com site has Mustang and Bronco split out as brands.

but lists both Bronco & Mustang under Ford -> SUVs....

Point is, don't look at Bronco/Mustang as complete "Brands" within the Ford company like you do Lincoln...these are sub brands to the "Ford" brand like "Hummer" is to "GMC"

Reactions: CJH

·
Premium Member
33,711 Posts
Lincoln, is selling 10,000.00 units a month, are they in real trouble or what? That is barely enough to pay the dealership general manager, let alone maintain the lights in the service bay in these United States. It’s time to sell the brand to Audi.

each retailer moved less than 10 cars on average for the 1,100.00 retailers

·
Registered
2,711 Posts

Bronco is being treated as a sub-brand similar to Jeep, they'll even be getting their own showrooms. Who knows how far this will go, but it's possible the US Ranger ends up being the "Bronco Ranger". It does lag the global launch of Ranger by a couple years. Just speculation, but that's the direction I would take with the midsize truck in North America. With such a packed house of pickups, especially one as pricey as Ranger overlapping with F-150 and Maverick, they should give Ranger way more excitement for its pricing. Otherwise I'm not sure how you add a Bronco Pickup with 3 other pickups in the showroom.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Lincoln, is selling 10,000.00 units a month, are they in real trouble or what? That is barely enough to pay the dealership general manager, let alone maintain the lights in the service bay in these United States. It’s time to sell the brand to Audi.

10,000 a month is actually good for them, and they've hit it last month and this month. A few years ago, 10,000 would've been the high-water December mark, and they're hitting it in the middle of the year. And beyond that, transaction prices are way up because of newer products like Navigator and Aviator especially (compared to old Navigator and MKT, respectively.

Bronco is being treated as a sub-brand similar to Jeep, they'll even be getting their own showrooms. Who knows how far this will go, but it's possible the US Ranger ends up being the "Bronco Ranger". It does lag the global launch of Ranger by a couple years. Just speculation, but that's the direction I would take with the midsize truck in North America. With such a packed house of pickups, especially one as pricey as Ranger overlapping with F-150 and Maverick, they should give Ranger way more excitement for its pricing. Otherwise I'm not sure how you add a Bronco Pickup with 3 other pickups in the showroom.
We've already seen Ranger out and about, and it's clearly not a Bronco, so not sure why you're throwing this idea out there.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
10,000 a month is actually good for them, and they've hit it last month and this month. A few years ago, 10,000 would've been the high-water December mark, and they're hitting it in the middle of the year. And beyond that, transaction prices are way up because of newer products like Navigator and Aviator especially (compared to old Navigator and MKT, respectively.

We've already seen Ranger out and about, and it's clearly not a Bronco, so not sure why you're throwing this idea out there.
And keep in mind Lincoln does not operate 1,100 dealers...that number has been reduced since 2011 when that stat came about. They're somewhere in the 800-850 area and very few of them are standalones.

·
Premium Member
33,711 Posts
Jeep is clearly a stand alone brand, unlike say Hummer in its new electric come back, or Bronco, I mean, the bronco sport is just on the lots with escapes

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Honestly, I think Mercury should be resurrected as performance trim or sub-brand for Lincoln. Messenger of gods is fast right?
No...don't entertain that! Mercury is dead, leave it there. LSport or just don't even bother with a performance trim. Just keep it as is w/ Black Label as your top trim and use Grand Touring as your HiPo trim designator.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No...don't entertain that! Mercury is dead, leave it there. LSport or just don't even bother with a performance trim. Just keep it as is w/ Black Label as your top trim and use Grand Touring as your HiPo trim designator.
Respect your thoughts but I think the name Mercury has a nice sounding to it and works better than Grand Touring and Black Label should just be high top luxury trim. Just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
17,458 Posts

Could be supply constrained as well due to chip shortages and how Ford is allocating said chips. Though, going from memory, this seems in line with past results.

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
Why would they not just resurrect Mercury?
To me, Mercury has zero brand value. It's been so long since the brand was anything but an afterthought that anyone with passion for the brand has either passed away or is on their last car. If they wanted a new brand I'd say they'd be better off creating a new one vs. trying to resurrect Mercury and its tarnished image.

The name "Mercury" is cool, but not in the case of Ford bringing it back and the related baggage that negates any coolness of the god Mercury. It would be like GM bringing back Oldsmobile - there is no need or call for it.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I need two more hands, so I could give this four thumbs down!!

Honestly, I think Mercury should be resurrected as performance trim or sub-brand for Lincoln. Messenger of gods is fast right?
Lincoln has little to no heritage of performance, its not part of their DNA. Lincoln's current succes is based on "quiet luxury", which has been well received. Zero reason for Mercury or any performance models to be added to the mix.

To me, Mercury has zero brand value.
Its not just you.......

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Re Mercury as a Lincoln performance brand...it's akin to having Oldsmobile as a Cadillac performance brand. Notice I didn't say pontiac because Pontiac was actually a performance brand.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts